SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rear wiper has been acting up and sometimes doesn't work. The thing is practically useless here in the South anyway. So, I decided to clean up the back of the car and save some weight.

I purchased an Acura Integra wiper delete kit for around $8 and guess what. It fits perfectly. No leaks, no issues.

Future plans: Feed rear washer line to intercooler sprayers (4 sprayers each with two nozzles) that I bought for cheap on Ebay. So, I can push the rear windshield cleaner button to wet down the core. I will also be hooking a boost controlled switch and maybe a time delay relay in parallel with the signal line coming from the windshield spray switch. Should keep my core nice and cool on hot days here. All told I think Ill have about $30 in the IC spray system by using the existing hardware.

Happy motoring!

PS. For those who are going to ask, yes that is my dashcam rear camera.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
"weight reduction" not sure about that, how much does the motor and stuff weigh? The cap looks clean!

Cool idea for routing the line to the core. Can you use washer fluid on that?
Eh, maybe a couple of pounds. It was more of a joke about weight savings. The wiper blade and motor are actually quite light.

Most of the WRX and EVO guys use washer fluid since it evaporates soo fast. WAY cheaper than the NOS IC chillers but not as effective. Ill post a nice set of pics and videos for the IC sprayer when I get that done. Ill be busy with the suspension upgrades first.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Is it safe to drive with the rear that light? Lmao

I was just eyeballing my windshield wiper sprayer as I never ever use it, when spraying an IC do you spay over it or into the plates?

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it safe to drive with the rear that light? Lmao

I was just eyeballing my windshield wiper sprayer as I never ever use it, when spraying an IC do you spay over it or into the plates?

From what I understand its slightly across the core. You want to wet as much as possible. The trick is making it work both sitting still and when hauling A$$. I may have to mount a camera out there to make sure the jets still work at 60 MPH. Not that I think it makes much difference when going that fast.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
From what I understand its slightly across the core. You want to wet as much as possible. The trick is making it work both sitting still and when hauling A$$. I may have to mount a camera out there to make sure the jets still work at 60 MPH. Not that I think it makes much difference when going that fast.
Can you set it up to spray more aggressively as the throttle opens?

Would mounting some jets along the charge pipe instead be any better to avoid air disruption, my thinking is what's better cooling down the intercooler that cools down the hot air for the turbo and passes thru the charge pipe, or start cooling it at the charge pipe and let the IC be the second method of cooling does that make sense? Like getting a head start?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Jon, I don't think it would work as well. The IC spreads the air through all the fins in small amounts, making the air running over it from the front more efficient. The charge pipe doesn't spread the air, so you'd be cooling something like the "outer layer" of the air going through it. So it might help a tiny bit, but spraying the IC would be wayyyy more bang-for-your-spray, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Indeed! The surface area is much, much higher in an intercooler. You may cool the surface of a pipe but even if you do the air is flowing much slower along the pipe surface.

Regarding pressurizing the fluid tank to boost flow under load, I don't think the plastic tank can take it. Plus the cap is not sealed. Im not trying to do water injection, just wet the core.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Looks great! I didn't realized the Acura had the same size hole.

The motor, arm, and blade weight about 5 lbs all together. It actually required a bit more force to close the hatch on my C30 since deleting the wiper.

I understand the practicality of the wiper, but it looks really clean just to see a large flat piece of uninterrupted glass.

You have me really curious about this intercooler sprayer project. I might just have to copy that, if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll datalog back to back pulls before with no spray and then after with spray. I think the effect would me more pronounced on a small core with a high dT to atmosphere. With my massive core there should still be a noticeable difference.

Is there a low washer fluid indicator in this car?

Here is an example of what the WRX guys do.

looks like they used very similar nozels to what I ordered.

Here is an Audi S4 running back to back runs at an autox event with and without spray on the IC.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Good, I don't want to burn up the pump if the tank gets low.
Exactly... Yet, it's okay to burn up your engine if your coolant runs low. Haha...ha...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The washer fluid is considered a consumable. I.E. the product will be used during normal operation. Just like fuel for example. Under normal operation and service intervals oil, coolant and trans fluid are not consumed sufficiently by the engine to warrant a level sensor/switch. I understand why they did not include that for these fluids. They schould be checked at service intervals and that is all. To be fair, if any of those are low something major is wrong.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Just bought this. 0.5 to 15 PSI adjustable normally open pressure switch. I think I just need some T's now to plumb up the system.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

This finally came in today. 4psi NO boost switch. Let the modding begin. Considering the highest temp I can get above ambient with my massive IC core I dont know how much lower the temps can get LOL. We shall find out.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nice job on the rear wiper delete, I should have done this on my V70R 5 years ago. It stopped working easily for that long!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I have to admit I was more after a built in IC sprayer than cleaning up the look of the rear glass. But it did turn out well and cheap too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts