SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for V50. Would love to get some feedback on the 05-06 models, vs the later. There is a glut of early models for sale, but pickings seem to get slim when you get to 2007 and beyond. Was the stereo better on the 2007 model (auxiliary or bluetooth?). Also did the increase in power come in 07 or 08?
Throw out any advice you can for me please. Im very new to the Volvo scene.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
07+ models get an auxiliary input at the back of the waterfall. 08 models get the facelift and power increase (218 to 227 hp), and some other optional features (blind spot monitoring, power folding mirrors, active xenon lights).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If you find a much better price for an 05-07 then go for it. they are getting very affordable now. If you can live without the aux jack then get 08+.
If the early exterior trim seems a little dated to you, the newer ones look much nice. But as far as reliability, you'll be fine either way. The only real differences i can think of is the exterior trim/bumpers and the LCA balljoint size, otherwise most things will be interchangeable, and even though some motor mounts, and the ignition switch were updated for 08, they can still be fit to pre-facelift models. Just consider the 08+ for what it is... mostly a facelift. Any year with decent service records and history will be reliable. Hp difference is negligible, you wont feel it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If you find a much better price for an 05-07 then go for it. they are getting very affordable now. If you can live without the aux jack then get 08+.
If the early exterior trim seems a little dated to you, the newer ones look much nice. But as far as reliability, you'll be fine either way. The only real differences i can think of is the exterior trim/bumpers and the LCA balljoint size, otherwise most things will be interchangeable, and even though some motor mounts, and the ignition switch were updated for 08, they can still be fit to pre-facelift models. Just consider the 08+ for what it is... mostly a facelift. Any year with decent service records and history will be reliable. Hp difference is negligible, you wont feel it.
Isnt the horsepower difference just the tune anyway? I didnt think there was a mechanical difference in the engines. If you plan to flash the ECU it wouldnt matter anyway.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I can't remember if it was just the tune or not, but the engine suffix did change (T7 vs T3). Either way the perceptible difference is negligible.

I'd say '06+ is your safest bet, as some of the 2004.5-2005 cars appear to have a few more teething problems, and the old style square door plugs. (I like the newer style, but your mileage may vary, or you may not care). On any of them, a good pre-purchase inspection and having a dealer ensure the applicable software updates were performed will save you a lot of headaches, as most of these cars had a lot of software issues out of the gate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If going AWD, check angle gear and make sure the AWD is ACTUALLY working. Especially in an 05 since that was a very early run of the Haldex model. It wont show a code even if it is broken.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
There all pretty good - Especially If those 2005 & 2006 - got the Recalls & Updates done ..
My 2007 has been Good . ( Keyless ) ( Larger Brakes ) comes with the Sportier Suspension with the M66 selection ..

Oh, and When I run My Sword - their - Greedy Little Hearts - their going to bleed more ( GREEN ) Then a Tree with It's Limbs Cut Off ..
Oh - there going to Feel what My Volvo's Worth !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts