SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story: My wife's Passat is having major issues and we have decided to attempt to replace it with a used V50. However finding a V50 T5 6 speed MT with premium audio is proving to be extremely difficult. All we find are Geartronic models. Never owning a auto gearbox, I don't have any feel for their reliability. We typically try to own vehicles for nearly 200,000 miles (the '99 C70 has 197,000 and going reasonably well, the '05 S40 has over 100,000 and no issues and the Passat has 179,000 with now major issues). I feel that the T5 engine should not be a major issue, but would like any opinions on the Geartronic transmission making to near 200,000 miles without any major issues.

Better yet, if anyone has any leads on a V50 T5 6 speed MT with premium audio for sale :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, if it has the premium sound system, that is the rare elusive beast! I just had a dealer make me an attractive offer on a totally loaded 2009 V50 with the Geartronic transmission. It has high miles but it is in great condition so unless something shows up quickly I will probably take my chance on that vehicle and see how reliable it will be.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mine has 139k miles, with few performance mods since 40k miles and it shifts and drives normal. I have flushed trans oil every 40k miles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rare Beast

Yes, if it has the premium sound system, that is the rare elusive beast! I just had a dealer make me an attractive offer on a totally loaded 2009 V50 with the Geartronic transmission. It has high miles but it is in great condition so unless something shows up quickly I will probably take my chance on that vehicle and see how reliable it will be.
Yes, it is a rare beast. I had to order it with overseas delivery to get what I wanted. Loaded with every option except the stability control. Premium sound with OEM subwoofer too. Drove it in Germany 2000 miles, and only has 20K on it now.:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it is a rare beast. I had to order it with overseas delivery to get what I wanted. Loaded with every option except the stability control. Premium sound with OEM subwoofer too. Drove it in Germany 2000 miles, and only has 20K on it now.
Jealous! To bad Volvo is dumb and quit importing small wagons like the new V40 Cross County or the V60 and manual transmissions. They lost a confirmed new car sale on this. We would have also considered an overseas delivery to get what we wanted. We looked at the Jetta and A3 wagons, but after owning VW's for over 30 years my wife is frustrated with the service aspect of the newer VW's. We live over 60 miles from the nearest VW dealer and most independents around us will not work on them, unlike my Volvo's. Also the nearest Volvo dealer is only 30 miles from us! I guess we will try a lower priced used V50 Geartronic to see if we can get along an automatic gearbox. My wife is skeptical! We don't want to spend new car dollars on something she may end up hating.

For Grecians sake, if he reads this, my wife is small and thinks the XC60 sits up too high and is way too big, and she thinks the XC70 is too long and hates the look of the XC70's bumpers!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
For Grecians sake, if he reads this, my wife is small and thinks the XC60 sits up too high and is way too big, and she thinks the XC70 is too long and hates the look of the XC70's bumpers!
There's always this:

Lol . . . it's not a tease to you . . . more to Grecians and Volvo :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's always this:
That is good! It is funny what a persons thinks about a vehicle. Even though the XC60 is shorter than my wife's Passat, she thinks it is too big because it sits up higher by almost 9". This height makes her uncomfortable standing next it and sitting in it. Which is kind of funny because we looked at a V50 and the women who was selling it gave the reason for selling as she wanted to buy an SUV that allowed her to sit up higher on the road. My wife likes the V50 because it reminds her of her VW hatchbacks. She would of liked the C30 if it had just a little bigger cargo area. Maybe my wife is unique, but I don't think so. My wife thinks there is a market for a right sized, non SUV height, medium to upscale sporty vehicle that can fit four people and carry groceries plus a 50lb bag of dog food in the cargo space. The V50 fits her requirements, to bad Volvo doesn't think there is a market for it.

The manual versus geartronic transmission is another issue. I will let you know after a year if she likes the geartronic. She has become very accomplished in feathering the clutch and selecting the right gear in the snow and ice and is real worried about the automatic. We live out in the country and she has been able to get through on roads with her fwd drive Passat that her friends with automatic equipped AWD SUV's have trouble with. Of course her friends just could be bad snow drivers, but in her mind she thinks it has something to do with the automatic. She would never criticize her friends, so it must be the vehicle! I just don't argue with such issues :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well, the v50 has a winter mode on the trans shifter, which starts the car out in 2nd from a stop. That should help in the snow. Remember it's a swede...

That's cool your wife likes manuals better than autos... I can't get my wife to drive my Subie with a 5-speed outside of a parking lot environment.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
For those who can adjust the trend is for people, and I must admit more so women it seems, to like sitting up higher. This is because being further away from the ground they perceive less the speed and feel safer, it gives them the impression they can see better the road, that they'll be more imposing so more visible, that they will have more authority on the road to merge (forgetting the fact they are just plain rude sometimes, but that's okay, probably too busy texting to be concerned with that), and that they will have less visual obstructions in merging or during multi-lane turns for example. There's a lot of social pressure too I think . . . so I'm not surprise if the majority would lean towards SUVs these days and especially many younger ladies. But if you actually enjoy driving a car it's just not the same.

I would not worry about the Geartronic transmission in the winter for a few reasons: the torque sensing will do the work, you can disengage the DSTC on start if it doesn't grip to snow well, and you can always use the manual mode to change gears when it pleases you...
I have a FWD Geartronic and since I've put some real snow tires I have had hardly no issues with winter and snow. I just blast through it like any other SUVs I see.

Now as far as comfort of habits there's nothing I can do for you there :p

·
Registered
114 Posts
I liked my cargo van for the simple fact that I could actually see the ENTIRE road; I get stuck in traffic in and S40 and can't see around the SUV blocking me @ ten miles below the speed limit in the left lane. Never had that issue in the van and the gas mileage was comparable, mostly cause the van doesn't have a turbo.....

Going from the VW to a GT Volvo will be challenging, especially since the gearing is completely different. I had an 01 A4 and the gearing made sense in that car, Volvo's tall gears still barely make sense to me and shift times are DEFINITELY not the same from manual to geartronic. The reliability I can vouch for though, I'm around 144k and she still shifts fine, albeit slower than I could shift in a manual with a clutch pedal. Hills are a lot less work though ;)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hills are a lot less work though ;)
+1

This reminds me: I don't know if it is the case with manual but with the auto, when you stop going up hill at a light for example the system knows you stopped so when ready you can release your foot from the brake pedal and the cars stays put and does not role back. I always thought that was a really neat feature.

(fyi: if you start accelerating just a little, brake again, and than release the brake pedal again the system won't know you stopped and you will start rolling back, so there might be a timing component to it, how long you are stopped)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have 231k on my 04.5 S40 T5 with the Geartronic and no issues yet...all I've done to it is make sure I change the fluid regularly.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I switched from a 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel pickup to my S40 seven years ago, and the only thing I really do NOT like is the fact the S40 sits so low that I can't see through or around other cars, with the possible exception of something like a Mazda Miata with the top down, and to drive on wet roads is terrible, road splash from other cars has blinded me many many.... MANY times that I never worried about in my pickup because I sat up over a foot higher. Higher is definitely safer to both SEE and Be SEEN. But comes at a price of more wind resistance which means cross-winds blow you around more, head winds slow you down or suck much more gas, and handling suffers from increased sway. But at least you can see.

My wife drives an '03 Mercury Mountaineer AWD, not a HUGE SUV, but about the same as a new XC90 I was looking at a week ago.

The ability to go in snow has more to do with tires & driving style anymore than transmission type. The traction control on the Volvo is really good, unless you're on really slick surfaces, then you have to shut it off so you can spin the wheels. After it applies the brakes so long it cuts engine power which guarantees you won't be getting anywhere until you shut the T/C off.

·
Registered
432 Posts
2005 V50 T5 AWD with Geartronic and premium audio has 95K miles with no issues other than usual stuff. This is Mrs. T's daily driver...and we take it up to the mountains in winter on a regular basis. Tires (new Conti Extreme Contact DWS) made a huge difference in snow and wet.

My 48K 2008 C70 T5 6 speed manual (FWD) is ok in snow and wet (with Conti Extreme Contact DWS. OEM Michelins were POS in snow) M66 trany is more responsive than GT, even in manumatic mode

1 - 17 of 17 Posts