SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
V50 or V70

All,

We are looking at a new family wagon. Currently in Canada they have some nice promos going on...

V50 - 0% up to 60 months
V70 - $2500 off, free premium package and 0%
CX70 - $4500 off, 0% up to 60 months

If optioned accordingly, the V70 comes out to the same price as the V50 ???

We are also thinking about the European Delivery... I have been wanting to do this for a few years now, I just don't know if the discounts apply.

I have heard about some reliability issues on the V50 and the XC70. So my question is, what would be your choice?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
If the price is roughly the same I say go with the V70. While I really like the looks of the older (04.5-07) style V50, the new updated ones looks leave something to be desired IMO. The V70 has more room inside for people and cargo, so more bang for the buck. The V70/S60 market seems to have a lot more aftermarket support as well. Either way both vehicles are super nice.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: (carreragt7)

Have to be honest we have WAY more issues with the new body style S80 and V70s than the new S40s/V50s

If you plan to keep the car under warranty and sell after you should be fine buying the V70 if thats what you want. I deal with a lot a communication and module failures with the new V70s which arent cheap after warranty. No real time basis as to when they fail, pretty random. Also have numerous sound complaints as the rear interior plastics creak like a biotch.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Re: V50 or V70 (Mcgyver29)

Quote, originally posted by Mcgyver29 »
We are also thinking about the European Delivery... I have been wanting to do this for a few years now, I just don't know if the discounts apply.

Find out and then come to Sweden. I went to Canada a few weeks ago; so it's your turn to visit Sweden

Quote, originally posted by Mcgyver29 »
I have heard about some reliability issues on the V50 and the XC70. So my question is, what would be your choice?

The V50 is nearing the end of its production cycle, and is probably more reliable now than it ever has been. It's had a couple of well known problems in the past. The V70/XC70 is an entirely new generation, in its second year of production. The XC70 is essentially the same as the V70, with the exception of the AWD. I wouldn't link past problems with the XC70 to the current version (which is too new to say anything about long term reliability).

Big differences between V50 and V70 include interior space, engine options, and AWD availability. The 2.4i V50 is considerably different from the T5 AWD V50 (I would only consider the latter).

My choice right now would be the V50, but if the V70 comes with AWD or different engine options other than the 3.2, I could change my mind.

·
Registered
248 Posts

I love my V50. It has all the room I need. It is very nimble, and gets better gas mileage than the V70/XC70.

If you are interested in the Overseas Delivery Program, I highly recommend it. We went 2 years ago, and it was the best car-buying experience ever. Check out the Overseas Delivery Forum for more info. Bob Kennedy is one of the OSD salesmen who frequent that forum, and though he can't sell to the Canadian market, he should be able to put you in touch with someone who has the latest incentives for a Canadian OSD.

·
Registered
156 Posts

V50 for sure.

My mother had the XC70 for years and I got to reap the benefits of that one for next to no cost to me BUT there were very few, if any, smiles per mile with the XC70. V70 would deliver a few more and might be a little more cargo friendly though not much more than the V50.

I can comfortably (and fearlessly) pack four full grown adults with all of their gear for a one week snowboarding trip into my V50. Other benefits, easier to park, more maneuverable (sp??), as others have said it's at a more mature phase of the production cycle...

I've driven V70s, XC70s, S40s, wifey has an S60 and I drive a V50 T5 AWD. Out of all of the Volvos I get the most utility out of this one http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

BTW.. Never done it but I can't wait to buy my next brand new Volvo and pick it up in Sweden
Well worth forfeiting any discount offered http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

carreragt7,

Thanks for the info. I like the V50 much better both in looks and driveability. So when did these issues get worked out? Currently there are a few of 2006 V50 T5 AWD available but not one 07 or 08. The prices are very good as I imagine some are off lease. Was 2006 a good year? If not I'll go for a new 2009...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: V50 or V70 (Munin)

Munin,

Thanks for the reply. Yes a trip to Sweden (and Norway, Denmark and Finland...) would be awesome. I agree with you on the T5, when I drove it there was no comparison with the 2.4i. I also like the fact the the V50 has matured over the years. I;ll wait to see what kind of deal is availalble with the Canadian version of European Delivery...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: V50 or V70 (hektikV50)

hektikV50,

Thanks for the reply. After driving a minivan, my smiles per mile is at an all time low. We do a lot of skiing as well and appreciate the AWD. The back seat of the V50 did seem a bit snug, but our kids are still young. The cargo area seemed O.K., it isn't a min
ivan that's for sure...!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts