SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
V50 Roof Rack Load Bar Question - Volvo Part Number 8698566 - Can't find information?

I'm looking to buy a set of load bars for my Volvo V50. A guy sent me a picture of the part number:

VOLVO
8040 RH
SWEDEN

853-6569-04

I think that it is actually the part number of the plastic boot that covers the ends of the load bars and clips.

Any V50 owners willing to post up close shots of their load bars? I want to see the slope of the front and rear ends and clips to make sure that these will fit and are not actually S40 load bars (which will not fit).

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
What is it you call the load bar? the the anti sway bars? the strut brace? The end-links?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the roof load bars. They are the Volvo OEM load bars made by Thule that go from one side of the car to the other (NOT front to back).

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm starting to think that these "V50" bars are actually S40 bars, which won't fit correctly. I've already made that mistake once.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, thanks for the picture EngTech. I am talking about the cross bars that go onto a bare roof, without the front to back bars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I am trying to locate the end caps for the load bars. I have:
8040 RH
I need one more right and two lefts. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do you need end caps for V50 bars? I have some V50 caps on my S40 bars (long story) but maybe we could work something out... haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here Ya , Go :

Hey EngTech crossbar question. Just brought my 2008 V50 home yesterday and I'm thinking about the same bars you've pictured. I'm a furniture maker and am constantly carting around lumber and plywood. Do those cross bars have a slight arc to them? For instance if I put a piece of plywood on top would it rest on all four corners of the rack or be hitting in the middle of the cross bars?

Cheers,
B

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pretty sure there's a slight bend.

·
Registered
656 Posts
OEM S40 and both V50 crossbars have a slight convex to them. Your plywood would teeter, unless it is warped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Looks like the OEM bars but twice the price. Not the best deal...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think they actually have a slight curve to them, less so then OEM it appears. Perhaps the plastic to the clamps is higher (or equal) than the apex of the curve on these whispbars, so they may work for your purpose. Unless someone has these and can get you the info, sounds like you'll need to check them out first hand.

EDIT: this forum post came up on google images, had photos of the bar showing curvature; http://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w164/346956-whispbar-racks-anyone.html

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Doesn't really solve your wide plywood issue but the Thule 753 load stops are very helpful for tying down lumber etc. They are about 5" high. Perhaps you could mount them backwards and use the knob as a shim for plywood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Doesn't really solve your wide plywood issue but the Thule 753 load stops are very helpful for tying down lumber etc. They are about 5" high. Perhaps you could mount them backwards and use the knob as a shim for plywood.
Ahh good idea. I'll definitely try and fool around with that as an option. Had to deliver a job today. It seems the best option for my load bar woes is borrowing a friends truck:D

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Plywood ? Naturally Flexes - Unless it is 1" Underlay - Extra Hard Subfloor Grade .

Have Carried 4-5 sheets of that and 6-8 2 X 4'4 & 4 2 x 6's & 5 Bags of Concrete . .
I could Make You a Custom Curved Rack like on a Old Time Woody - What is it Your trying to do ?_?

Those look to be a Knock Off and Your Inquiry - about them Working or Not ?_?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts