SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first area I'm going to hit in my new V50 is audio.

I am going to run two 8" subwoofers recessed into the rear panels, one on each side. I am trying to decide between running two Alpine Type-R 8" or two JL 8w7 8" or two SA-8v2 8" subwoofers.

The JLs and the SA-8v2s require quite a bit of power to drive, which would require bigger amplifiers and additional electrical upgrades. The Alpines, on the other hand, can run on 250w RMS each, are extremely shallow, and require a mere 0.30 cubic feet for optimal performance. They are much cheaper to boot. I should be able to have the subwoofers mounted flush, without any intrusion into the cargo area.

I'll tap into the rear speaker wiring harness and a low-pass filter and drive the subwoofers using one 500w RMS at 2-ohm amplifier. I can wire up the two 2-ohm DVC subwoofers such that the combined load is 2-ohms; each subwoofer receiving 250w RMS.

I am used to a single 12" subwoofer. I hope that I am not disappointed by two 8" subwoofers. I've heard that the 8w7s and the SA-8v2s sound great. I am not looking for deafening, decibel competition type output, but I do not want to buy the Type-Rs and wish for more in the future. I don't want to go beyond 600w RMS since I do not want to have to deal with electrical upgrades!

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
looking forward to this project!

I've got two 8" subs in the spare wheel mould in the trunk, completely hidden - and I really like the overall sound. if they're mounted into the rear panels, it should be even better. my only concern is the space behind, it's totally open and not an enclosure, and second it might be too small for the subs (not physically, but for them to sound good).

I'd go with the alpines ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looking forward to this project!

I've got two 8" subs in the spare wheel mould in the trunk, completely hidden - and I really like the overall sound. if they're mounted into the rear panels, it should be even better. my only concern is the space behind, it's totally open and not an enclosure, and second it might be too small for the subs (not physically, but for them to sound good).

I'd go with the alpines ;)
Alpine it is. According to the specification, the Alpines only require 0.3 cubic feet gross for a sealed box at the optimal volume. I will fiberglass the interior of the space following this Audi guide:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1725478

Are your subs ported or sealed? Is the bass loud enough to rattle the mirrors and buzz your hair? :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. I purchased two Alpine Type-R 8" Dual 2-Ohm Voice Coil subwoofers and an Alpine MRX-M50 Class-D Monoblock. They will arrive shortly.

I'll wire each voice coil in parallel to get 1-Ohm and then the two subwoofers in series to get a 2-Ohm load on the amplifier. The amplifier will put out 500w RMS at 2-Ohms, so that should work out well. 250w RMS per subwoofer and 125w RMS per voice coil. I already have a wiring kit and a remote bass control knob which I will integrate somewhere convenient; probably near the STC switch. The MRX-M50 has built-in high level speaker inputs that run through an integrated filter, so I won't have to fuss with a separate component.

I would really like to integrate an auxiliary input at the same time. I'm checking the board for my options.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And, just wondering, is this the most active Volvo/Volvo V50 forum? Any others worth frequenting?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the fiberglass matting, resin, and hardener. As well as the support materials such as painters tape, foil, etc.

I might line the floor space with acoustical matting to help soften road noise.

Trying to decide between:

1. Attempting to build the enclosure into the existing side walls.

2. Building a custom fitting but separate enclosure that nestles into the left and right nooks, out of the way of the spare tire door, and filling in the area to the rear of the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Mine are sealed and they shake my mirrors plenty. 2 10' woofers in the trunk running around 800 watts. Mine are molded in to the driver gap behind the rear fender well. The audi guy did a better job than I did.

The way I went about mine was I molded chicked wire against the wheel well. Cut out wood to fit the face, I then used a staple gun to hold the chicken wire to the wood face, and fiber glassed over the wire. Because of the way that I did it, I added material to the outside of something that fitted perfectly. This caused the box to pop out ever so slightly from the wheel well. I will try to throw pictures up of the set up.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
This is how it looks installed:

Here is a view of the backside so you can see the chicken wire that I over layed.

My amp is mounted underneath the floor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts