SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
05 V50 T5 M66 FWD, 04 XC70, various junk from other brands
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have an ‘05 V50 T5 and was installing braided brake lines from Viva (among other things). Both front lines went in great, but the rear was much rustier. Hit the left side connection between the hard and rubber lines with PB Blaster, let it sit for a while, and started to loosen it.

Unfortunately it started spinning the line too, which I didn’t notice until it kinked up.

So now I’m at a standstill.

How should I go about fixing it? Do they (Volvo themselves or aftermarket) sell this hard line?

How would I put it in? It looks to go over the exhaust heat shield and have a connector in the center of the car underneath.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Picture of the damage:
Gas Wood Screw Auto part Metal

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, the other side it seemed to be stuck to the line too. This time I gave the PB plenty of time to work and hit it with the torch for a little bit too. Still nothing. I figured they’re already kinked so I just spun it till they snapped so I could at least get the soft lines out of the way.
Here’s what it left me with:
Liquid Fluid Material property Automotive lighting Wood

Wood Gas Bumper Motor vehicle Metal

So it looks like I’m replacing both rear hard lines. Does Volvo sell these? Can anyone give me a part number or somewhere I can get them? Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pretty much any garage should be able to fabricate new brake pipes for you. If you want to go Volvo, just call them and explain what you need. As to how you should route the new pipes that's simple, exactly how the existing ones are routed, with the same twists and turns in them, making sure they do not rub against anything metal or even hard plastic.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty much any garage should be able to fabricate new brake pipes for you. If you want to go Volvo, just call them and explain what you need. As to how you should route the new pipes that's simple, exactly how the existing ones are routed, with the same twists and turns in them, making sure they do not rub against anything metal or even hard plastic.
I can’t exactly get the car to a garage with no brakes, but I suppose I could pull the lines and take them to get fabricated?
I could always just call the dealer parts department and see what they say, true.
I also saw FCP Euro had some factory brake lines, but I have no idea which one (if any) is what I need. Might as well give them a call too.
I’ll give them both a call and report back.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Pretty much any garage should be able to fabricate new brake pipes for you.
Problem is - here in the US - the brake lines you purchase at the auto parts store are the wrong thread, and have the wrong flare. Sure I have a Flaring tool - but the typical non powered flaring tools don't work with steel brake lines that Volvo uses.

I would source a new one at a Volvo dealer (if they still sell them for that car xx years later)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem is - here in the US - the brake lines you purchase at the auto parts store are the wrong thread, and have the wrong flare. Sure I have a Flaring tool - but the typical non powered flaring tools don't work with steel brake lines that Volvo uses.

I would source a new one at a Volvo dealer (if they still sell them for that car xx years later)
That’s kind of what I figured. I tried looking at this stuff on some parts store websites and nothing fit. I’d love to just get one from Volvo if I can. Can’t seem to find it just looking though

·
Registered
90 Posts
That’s kind of what I figured. I tried looking at this stuff on some parts store websites and nothing fit. I’d love to just get one from Volvo if I can. Can’t seem to find it just looking though
You can find everything you need at the auto parts stores.

You'll need a straight section of line, the appropriate metric flare nuts, a line cutter, and a flaring tool. A cheap $30 over the parts counter tool will work fine to get you out of this jam. You'll want to buy the appropriate fitting unions so that you don't have to replace the hard line all the way back (unless you do want to...).

You'll cut the stock lines at a good, easily accessible spot, install the union nuts, and flare the line. Then, install the union, cut your length of replacement line, install the nuts and bend it accordingly.

If your v50 uses the same flare as my 850, it will use a bubble flaring tool. If you show me a picture of your new steel hoses, I can confirm - take one with you to the parts store to make sure you get the right stuff.

Also, with the rust, pb blaster helps, but some heat will do wonders... And cycle the two for even better effect.

·
Registered
848 Posts
From VIDA parts catalog, 2005 V50T M66:

Left rear brake pipe 30714124
Right rear brake pipe 31317784
Plastic retainers 30636057 (8x per car)
Hose retainer 999290 (spring washer on flex pipe fitting)
Clip (clip on flex pipe fitting)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hope this helps.
Perfect! Thank you!

Reactions: vista88

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you can order pre-fab hard lines, that's the easiest way to go. OTOH, I have had good success fabricating iso flares for Volvo lines on nicop brake tubing purchased from AutoZone. All of the fittings are readily available, and NiCop is easy to flare and bend. I did spend the money for a decent flaring tool -- I think I paid about $100 for it on Amazon.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can order pre-fab hard lines, that's the easiest way to go. OTOH, I have had good success fabricating iso flares for Volvo lines on nicop brake tubing purchased from AutoZone. All of the fittings are readily available, and NiCop is easy to flare and bend. I did spend the money for a decent flaring tool -- I think I paid about $100 for it on Amazon.
I saw that too poking around on the AutoZone website. But I just looked and the pre-fab ones from Volvo are only like 53 bucks. That’s definitely what I’m gonna do. Hopefully shipping doesn’t take forever

·
Registered
90 Posts
I saw that too poking around on the AutoZone website. But I just looked and the pre-fab ones from Volvo are only like 53 bucks. That’s definitely what I’m gonna do. Hopefully shipping doesn’t take forever
May want to confirm that you're getting pre-bent lines.

iirc, some manufacturers send straight lines, cut to length.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
May want to confirm that you're getting pre-bent lines.

iirc, some manufacturers send straight lines, cut to length.
Interesting. The diagram showed bent lines. Should probably call the dealer to find out. Then again, with my luck they won’t know what I’m talking about…

·
Registered
452 Posts
Volvo sells the lines they are pre-bent and go right in. Same thing happen to me on my c30 when I did the rear SS lines. Bought both sides from volvo with no issues

Reactions: Mo_Jo and V50_M66

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Volvo sells the lines they are pre-bent and go right in. Same thing happen to me on my c30 when I did the rear SS lines. Bought both sides from volvo with no issues
Sweet thank you!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How difficult was the install? Did you just fish it in there or do you have to drop shields, exhaust, etc?

·
Registered
452 Posts
You just have to move the rear shield, there is a union on both lines right at the gas tank so you aren't replacing the full line back to the ABS unit

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

Hope this helps.
Double checked on VIDA before ordering.

Looks like left side is the same over the whole model run - 30714124

Looks like they changed the right side around chassis 687054.
  • Right - up to chassis 687054 - 30714125
  • Right - chassis 687055 and up - 31317784
Product Automotive parking light Automotive design Font Rectangle

As I have an '05 I'll be getting the former, correct? My bad for not including year in the original post.

Edit: Apparently the later part number superseded the earlier number according to Volvo Parts Webstore so my digging was for nothing LOL
Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Software

So 31317784 it is. Thanks for everyone's help

Reactions: vista88
1 - 18 of 18 Posts