SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to dealership about 2 months ago due to bad vibration/noise in front end in my V50 (2.4i sport, 28K). First noticed in January but got worse. Mechanic came with me for a ride and right away said it was "bad bearings/wheel hub".<br>He told me that bad bearings were a frequent problem on XC90's but never had a V50 with this problem. Turns out my dealership has replaced only two wheel hubs on a V50 ever - both on mine!<p>Couple of things: 1. Volvo obviously has a flaw with bearings and/or assembly process based on other postings - I thought Volvo cared about safety...?<p>2. Now about 2000km later, I have front end vibrations again - not the same problem. Seems like something is out of balance, wobling slightly in the front end (not a tire, its at all speeds) and generates noice above and beyond "wind noise". Its a not huge noise/vibration but is noticeable to me.<p>Could bad bearings cause other unseen problems?<p>Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: V50 - bad bearings replaced, only 28k (lugsytl)

The XC90 had a range of chassis numbers with a modified rear bearing seal that has been causing issues, apparently they allow water to enter and obviously affecting the bearing. This isn't much of a safety issue, the bearings simply start making noise. Your front bearing issue is new, I haven't heard anyone reporting that, especially on the V50.<p>If you have vibration, I recommend going back in to have it checked. There are many possibilities. It can be as simple as tire pressure.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: V50 - bad bearings replaced, only 28k (lugsytl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>lugsytl</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought Volvo cared about safety...?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>A manufacturing or part defect doesn't imply that Volvo doesn't care about safety and more than a loss by the Heat implies they don't want to win the championship.

·
Registered
323 Posts
its possible that one of the list of issues I have on my s40 2004 model has the same problem.<br>The garage cannot replicate the noise, I on the otherhand did within just taking the car back and having a test drive with the engineer.<p>problem with mine is that I have a loud buzzing noise or rubbing noise when taking off... which gets faster and faster as i speed up.<p>Sometimes its quiet, once warmed up in traffic, it gets VERY loud.<p>The engineer has no idea what it is... spoke to the sales guys about replacing the car and he said it sounds like the bearings that have gone

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: (Akash)

The usual way to diagnose bad bearings, as opposed to brake or other noises, is to see if the noise changes while turning. You need to get up a good steady speed, hear the noise, then put left and right forces on the hub. Highway ramps, sweeping turns, even lane changes, that kind of thing. Then, to help eliminate brake noises, try applying them (very) lightly.<p>This kind of thing is usually pretty subtle and difficult to diagnose in the early stages. Frankly, it's often other things.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (tmtalpey)

Before my bearings were replaced, if you turned the wheel to the left even a fraction past the centre point, you could hear the bearings making all kind of noise.<p>The noise now does not change due to direction its just seems to be always present - on different speeds, streets its louder.<p>If the dealer rotates the tires, maybe this is a quick way to eliminate possible tire issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts