SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and read all the relevant threads on this topic, but I have not yet figured out what springst hat really will work on my AWD...

So, I need your help fellow forum members.

What springs can I get installed on my V50 T5 AWD that will not cause any problems. The level I'm aming at is around the factory lowered FWD T5's, that would be a drop of almost 2 inches right?

I've looked into Eibach's Pro-Kit, but it only drops my V50 about an inch. And I feel that that is not enough to satisfy my needs.

Evolve is another option, but they are so darn expensive here in Sweden.
Last way out, you could say...

H&R springs are only avalible to the FWD's, apperently...

Heico AWD (Eibach?) springs, even more expensive then the evolve springs here in Sweden. The FWD spring are very reasonably priced though!

Are the shocks different on the AWD's?

Please guys, help me out!
Pictures, comments, tips, hint etc etc, of lowered S40/V50 T5 AWD's would be grately appreciated. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by V50AWD at 10:15 PM 4-19-2006

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: V50 AWD lowering springs, what are my options? (V50AWD)

Not sure what the confusion is. There are plenty of people who have lowered their AWD cars and said exactly what they used to lower them. There are no definitive answers because Volvo does not officially support lowering the AWD cars, but I'm not aware that anyone who has lowered their car has come back to say that it was a mistake for any reason. So the options are as you've read them, I would say.

Incidentally, the Volvo springs lower the car 20 mm, or about 0.75 inch -- nowhere near 2 inches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: V50 AWD lowering springs, what are my options? (mullmann)

I feel that I cant get a grip on what springs that fit or dont fit my AWD. Neither does my local dealers. And since the search function is down, I thought a new thread would be a good idea..

Quote, originally posted by mullmann »

Incidentally, the Volvo springs lower the car 20 mm, or about 0.75 inch -- nowhere near 2 inches.

Yes, that is true. But! Since the AWD models stand 20 to 25mm higher then the FWD, I need a drop of atleast 40mm, to be at the same height.

·
Registered
298 Posts

If you want to go 2" you can plan on buying one of these 3......

Hieco coilovers (about 2000US I believe)
KW Coilovers (they only make the "Variant2" which are expensive ~1800US)
H&R Coilovers (~1200US)

There's no cheap way to lower a Volvo that much. 1200 for H&R coilovers is actually quite cheap though considering what other H&R suspension is worth.

kind of a bummer the AWD is so high but what are ya gonna do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: V50 AWD lowering springs, what are my options? (TFS)

Quote, originally posted by TFS »
If you want to go 2" you can plan on buying one of these 3......

Hieco coilovers (about 2000US I believe)
KW Coilovers (they only make the "Variant2" which are expensive ~1800US)
H&R Coilovers (~1200US)

There's no cheap way to lower a Volvo that much. 1200 for H&R coilovers is actually quite cheap though considering what other H&R suspension is worth.

kind of a bummer the AWD is so high but what are ya gonna do.

Thanks TFS.
I think I'll go with the Eibach springs, a 25-30mm drop will probably be the best way to go after all.

If someone on here has lowered their AWD car with eibach or heico springs, pictures of that would be very helpful for me to see before I make the ultimate decision.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote, originally posted by V50AWD »
Thanks TFS.
I think I'll go with the Eibach springs, a 25-30mm drop will probably be the best way to go after all.

If someone on here has lowered their AWD car with eibach or heico springs, pictures of that would be very helpful for me to see before I make the ultimate decision.

Do the Eibach's lower that much? If so that's pretty good (or bad, depending how you look at it I guess)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Do the Eibach's lower that much? If so that's pretty good (or bad, depending how you look at it I guess)

Just checked their catalog for 2006, the springs are marked as 25/25. Some of the distributers I've been talking to have qouted me 25-30mm depending on how the vehicle is equiped.

Bad? In what way?

Modified by V50AWD at 12:41 AM 4-11-2006

·
Registered
298 Posts

Bad? In what way?

Some people don't think it's a good idea to use lowering springs without changing your shocks too, the reason is your shocks don't run their full travel which is hard on them. This causes them to wear out prematurely, also, it gives a bouncier ride because the shocks are less efficient.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Some people don't think it's a good idea to use lowering springs without changing your shocks too, the reason is your shocks don't run their full travel which is hard on them. This causes them to wear out prematurely, also, it gives a bouncier ride because the shocks are less efficient.

I see... but i dont think that is an issue for me, I can see it happen if you go to low with only springs.

By the way, IIRC, I read somewhere here on swedespeed that the heico and eibach springs kits are same... true or false?

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

By the way, IIRC, I read somewhere here on swedespeed that the heico and eibach springs kits are same... true or false?

Heico's are made by Eibach, but to Heico specs. Not the same.

Tom.

406 Posts

I see... but i dont think that is an issue for me, I can see it happen if you go to low with only springs.

Tm is correct: made by Eibach, but to different spec. The HEICO AWD springs lower the rear of the car a bit less than on the FWD cars b/c the AWD's are beyond the OE alignment specs when fitting the FWD spring.

You could use our FWD on an AWD, whcih will lower the car 30mm (as opposed to 20mm w/the AWD-specific kit), but this may cause aggressive rear tire wear.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: V50 AWD lowering springs, what are my options? ([email protected] SPORTIV NA)

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] SPORTIV NA »

Tm is correct: made by Eibach, but to different spec. The HEICO AWD springs lower the rear of the car a bit less than on the FWD cars b/c the AWD's are beyond the OE alignment specs when fitting the FWD spring.

You could use our FWD on an AWD, whcih will lower the car 30mm (as opposed to 20mm w/the AWD-specific kit), but this may cause aggressive rear tire wear.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, alot more than I got out of my heico dealer. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I decided to go with the Heico AWD-springs, and I'm having them installed next Wednesday, along with an realigment.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Thanks for the info, alot more than I got out of my heico dealer. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I decided to go with the Heico AWD-springs, and I'm having them installed next Wednesday, along with an realigment.

I'm looking into getting some springs in the near future, once the Heico's are on can you post some pics? i'd really like to see what the ride height is like, the AWD sits like a school bus stock

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: V50 AWD lowering springs, what are my options? (bpwrightwv)

hey , man can't find your e-mail address (probably because I have already downed a pint or 2) but I'll send a pic. say hello to the family

Modified by V50_T5 at 12:32 PM 4-19-2006

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: V50 AWD lowering springs, what are my options? (slo-vo)

Quote, originally posted by slo-vo »

I'm looking into getting some springs in the near future, once the Heico's are on can you post some pics? i'd really like to see what the ride height is like, the AWD sits like a school bus stock

Yeah sure, no problemo. Once the springs are on I'll make a "before and after" thread with pictures. Hang tight http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts