SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused. I just finished installing an fm modulator in my 2005 V50 (w/premium sound) using the widely discussed 9V tap method. It sounds OK, but not great. The thing that blows my mind is that if I unplug the antenna feeds from the modulator, NOTHING HAPPENS! The reception doesn't change at all! Similarly, if I break the connection between the two wires I extended from the 9V tap, neither my fm nor am reception change at all. This makes no sense! Is the antenna location actually somewhere else, and not in the rear passenger side window??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to put it very plainly - when I disconnect the antenna in the rear passengers side window, it has absolutely no effect on fm reception. This doesn't seem to make sense to me - and tends to indicate there's a second antenna??

I'm confused. I just finished installing an fm modulator in my 2005 V50 (w/premium sound) using the widely discussed 9V tap method. It sounds OK, but not great. The thing that blows my mind is that if I unplug the antenna feeds from the modulator, NOTHING HAPPENS! The reception doesn't change at all! Similarly, if I break the connection between the two wires I extended from the 9V tap, neither my fm nor am reception change at all. This makes no sense! Is the antenna location actually somewhere else, and not in the rear passenger side window??

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hmmmm the manual shows two but I dont think that is usa models. I can confirm that mu US v50 does indeed have two separate coax cables so I bet there are two antennas. There is also an antenns amp in the rear 1/4 according to the wiring manual.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How about these?

I have a 2005 V50, Autotragic AWD, Basic Sound System, and heres some information that I've posted in a few different threads.

Hmmmm the manual shows two but I dont think that is usa models. I can confirm that mu US v50 does indeed have two separate coax cables so I bet there are two antennas. There is also an antenns amp in the rear 1/4 according to the wiring manual.
Pic 1) AFM with isimple in line transmitter below, I didn't rebundle wires at this point

Pic 2) RTI Connector that I grabbed power from

Pic 3) Lassen snow lake, Pretty cold :D

Weekend took a little longer than anticipated...

passenger side rear, wires need to be rebundled, but you can see the green plug.

Green plug, for what I thought was the RTI from looking at EWD. 12+ is red, negitive is black...

Car just got back from a few hundred mile trip to Mt. Lassen, was a great weekend! Good luck in your audio endeavors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Numbers, FAKRA Connectors, and more pictures below!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to put it very plainly - when I disconnect the antenna in the rear passengers side window, it has absolutely no effect on fm reception. This doesn't seem to make sense to me - and tends to indicate there's a second antenna??
I do believe that the Antenna is split between the sharks fin on the roof, and the passenger side rear window.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information!

Thx, and good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any info is greatly appreciated! For now I went back to hard wiring in an OTA fm transmitter in my trunk, and it works ok (given its proximity to the antenna(s), but not awesome. I really wish I just had basic sound so that I could do the simple aux-in patch (solder into two resistors) that's discussed else where! Oh well. Yes, any Intel on two antennas is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like we were penning our last posts at the same time. This info is def very helpful. Is the AFM separate from the fm amplifier that's located above the right rear window (the thing the 9V clips feeds into?

I have a 2005 V50, Autotragic AWD, Basic Sound System, and heres some information that I've posted in a few different threads.

Pic 1) AFM with isimple in line transmitter below, I didn't rebundle wires at this point

Pic 2) RTI Connector that I grabbed power from

Pic 3) Lassen snow lake, Pretty cold

Weekend took a little longer than anticipated...

passenger side rear, wires need to be rebundled, but you can see the green plug.

Green plug, for what I thought was the RTI from looking at EWD. 12+ is red, negitive is black...

Car just got back from a few hundred mile trip to Mt. Lassen, was a great weekend! Good luck in your audio endeavors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Part Numbers, FAKRA Connectors, and more pictures below!

CT27AA35 CT27AA58 are the part numbers I bought for my FM transmitter.

Looks like so, with the clip in the middle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-aeria...ash=item3391261676:g:vuQAAOxy3zNSgpw7&vxp=mtr

Edit: Guess you just need the one... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-...363654?hash=item3aa0a66946:g:M70AAOSw1vlUwSBp

Part Number: CT27AA35

I do believe that the Antenna is split between the sharks fin on the roof, and the passenger side rear window.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information!

Thx, and good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks like we were penning our last posts at the same time. This info is def very helpful. Is the AFM separate from the fm amplifier that's located above the right rear window (the thing the 9V clips feeds into?

Yes it is, There is another AMP if you don't have basic sound on the drivers side, rear quarter panel I do believe. This picture shows some modules on our P1 Variants:

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
has anyone ever written up a functional description of what the various components do in the Volvo sound system? What is the function of the AFM?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pic - yes, I'm all too familiar with that amp at this point! It's a venerable fortress, virtually impossible to tap into at the digital level, unless I'm willing to shell out $400 - $500! Crazy! Hence my earnest pursuit of fm modulator options (although certainly not my first choice!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the pic - yes, I'm all too familiar with that amp at this point! It's a venerable fortress, virtually impossible to tap into at the digital level, unless I'm willing to shell out $400 - $500! Crazy! Hence my earnest pursuit of fm modulator options (although certainly not my first choice!)

Appendix A - Part Locations
Function
Radio reception
16/16
During radio reception the signals from the AM or FM wavebands are gathered by the antenna
system. The signals are decoded and are transmitted to the AM/FM tuner module (AFM)
(16/94).
The AM/FM tuner module (AFM) then transmits the signals on via the MOST network to the
audio module (ADD) (16/105) and infotainment control module (ICM) (16/1).RDS-reception
(Radio Data System) is possible (market dependant) during FM transmissions.
The User can choose to store channels manually one at a time or to automatically store the
10 channels with the strongest broadcast signal. Automatic search stores the program
channels in ascending frequency order. For each preset channel the AM/FM tuner module
(AFM) stores information about:
• frequency
• program identification code (PI)
• program channel name (PS).
The control module stores information about:
• Regional: On/Off
• AF: On/Off
• EON: Off/Local/Distant
• TP Station: On/Off
• TP Search: On/Off
• Favorite TP Station
• Favorite News (PTY1)
• Activated PTY categories
• Waveband: AM/FM/Off
• Latest stored frequency.
The control module uses the information to reset the user settings between each driving
cycle.
Revision 6.5
Design Control module
The system for radio reception consists of
• antenna system for AM/FM
• AM/FM tuner module (AFM)
• antenna amplifier.
The AM/FM tuner module (AFM) has the task of receiving radio signals for the AM and FM
wavebands.
The radio signals received by the antenna are decoded and transmitted to the AM/FM tuner
module (AFM). The signals contain information about (see below):
• alternative frequencies (AF)
• program channel name (PS)
• traffic program (TP)
• traffic messages (TA)
• extended program information (EON)
• program type (PTY).
AM/FM tuner module (AFM) has a 5-band equalizer integrated in the unit. The equalizer
controls the frequency reproduction from the received radio signals.
The antenna amplifier is supplied with power by the AM/FM tuner module (AFM), via
phantom power supply (coaxial cable), with a nominal 11 ± 0.5 V. If the vehicle is equipped
with RTI (Road Traffic Information) the power supply is via the traffic message channel
module (TMC).
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored and the system is shut down if the voltage
exceeds 13.5 ± 0.5 V. The voltage is regulated to the battery capacity if the battery voltage
is below 10.5V.
When the ignition is switched off the power consumption of the AM/FM tuner module (AFM)
must not exceed 0.1 mA.
The system can endure temperatures between -40 <C and 85 <C.
The control module checks the input and output signals through an integrated diagnostic
system. The control module communicates with directly connected components, and via
MOST communication.
http://volvo.philipfotos.com/English_install_ver_6_5.pdf

That information was pulled (without attached pictures) from the appendix section of that PDF... It's a good read!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok - thanks for that - very helpful. That's CLEARLY where I need to patch in my FM modulator. Does anyone know why the 9V tap into the antenna technique has gotten so much press, seems like it's total rubbish!!!

Appendix A - Part Locations
Function
Radio reception
16/16
During radio reception the signals from the AM or FM wavebands are gathered by the antenna
system. The signals are decoded and are transmitted to the AM/FM tuner module (AFM)
(16/94).
The AM/FM tuner module (AFM) then transmits the signals on via the MOST network to the
audio module (ADD) (16/105) and infotainment control module (ICM) (16/1).RDS-reception
(Radio Data System) is possible (market dependant) during FM transmissions.
The User can choose to store channels manually one at a time or to automatically store the
10 channels with the strongest broadcast signal. Automatic search stores the program
channels in ascending frequency order. For each preset channel the AM/FM tuner module
(AFM) stores information about:
• frequency
• program channel name (PS).
The control module stores information about:
• Regional: On/Off
• AF: On/Off
• EON: Off/Local/Distant
• TP Station: On/Off
• Favorite TP Station
• Favorite News (PTY1)
• Activated PTY categories
• Waveband: AM/FM/Off
• Latest stored frequency.
The control module uses the information to reset the user settings between each driving
cycle.
Revision 6.5
Design Control module
The system for radio reception consists of
• antenna system for AM/FM
• AM/FM tuner module (AFM)
• antenna amplifier.
The AM/FM tuner module (AFM) has the task of receiving radio signals for the AM and FM
wavebands.
The radio signals received by the antenna are decoded and transmitted to the AM/FM tuner
module (AFM). The signals contain information about (see below):
• alternative frequencies (AF)
• program channel name (PS)
• traffic program (TP)
• traffic messages (TA)
• extended program information (EON)
• program type (PTY).
AM/FM tuner module (AFM) has a 5-band equalizer integrated in the unit. The equalizer
controls the frequency reproduction from the received radio signals.
The antenna amplifier is supplied with power by the AM/FM tuner module (AFM), via
phantom power supply (coaxial cable), with a nominal 11 ± 0.5 V. If the vehicle is equipped
with RTI (Road Traffic Information) the power supply is via the traffic message channel
module (TMC).
The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored and the system is shut down if the voltage
exceeds 13.5 ± 0.5 V. The voltage is regulated to the battery capacity if the battery voltage
is below 10.5V.
When the ignition is switched off the power consumption of the AM/FM tuner module (AFM)
must not exceed 0.1 mA.
The system can endure temperatures between -40

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ok - thanks for that - very helpful. That's CLEARLY where I need to patch in my FM modulator. Does anyone know why the 9V tap into the antenna technique has gotten so much press, seems like it's total rubbish!!!
1) Cost
2) Local parts availability

To make an adapter from the Twin Fakra to a motorola (Standard radio connector in just about every other car I've ever owned) could cost some money after grabbing the required connectors and wires. The connectors I posted above work well, because it let me connect my transmitter in line between the AFM and antenna. It might have cost a bit more, but they were already assembled, and I didn't have to source the individual fakra connectors. Time is money right?

So, my antenna connects to my isimple fm transmitter, which in turn is connected to the AFM. This allows the AFM to set a frequency (The same one that the transmitter is operating on), and the transmitter can inject it without interference from the antenna. It works well, but probably not as well as quadcamsix's new multimedia install he has been doing. That was my first option, although at the time it was unexplored and I picked up my isimple for under $40 on ebay... Can't go wrong for $40.00.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
1) Cost

To make an adapter from the Twin Fakra to a motorola (Standard radio connector in just about every other car I've ever owned) could cost some money after grabbing the required connectors and wires. The connectors I posted above work well, because it let me connect my transmitter in line between the AFM and antenna. It might have cost a bit more, but they were already assembled, and I didn't have to source the individual fakra connectors. Time is money right?

So, my antenna connects to my isimple fm transmitter, which in turn is connected to the AFM. This allows the AFM to set a frequency (The same one that the transmitter is operating on), and the transmitter can inject it without interference from the antenna. It works well, but probably not as well as quadcamsix's new multimedia install he has been doing. That was my first option, although at the time it was unexplored and I picked up my isimple for under $40 on ebay... Can't go wrong for $40.00.
Hah, for $40 I may have just duct taped my tablet to the dash so i could have my gauges in Torque and Megasquirt. That would have saved me a lot of trouble. As it stands with the cost of the head unit, wire, MOST jumpers, antenna adapter and now another waterfall since i'm not happy how it turned out, im in about $320. I figure it'll be $375 after i relocate the climate control display.

Nice job quoting from other threads. Did you say something about the antenna booster amplifying a specific channel? Am I going to have an issue since no digital information will be getting to the booster?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I like it! I'm all for saving money. I guess my earlier question, is why are there whole docs out there like this one, that lay out an entire install procedure that's (imho) flawed: http://volvo.philipfotos.com/English_install_ver_6_5.pdf this is what I followed, and (because it doesn't account for the 2nd antenna) it just doesn't work right. You get massive amounts of rf bleed from the other antenna, so there's always that persistent crackle in the background, that kills me...

But I guess you just can't believe everything you read on the Internet, right? I plan to purchase those connectors you recommended, and go from there. Did you experiment at all with different fm modulators? I'm willing to pay a decent amount for a good one - but had decided to go with the isimple because it got decent reviews on Amazon, and seemed like it'd do the trick - plus the fm modulator market is pretty slim these days! Are there any other fm modulators that are more highly rated than others?

Also, has anyone ever tried putting an rf relay into this setup, so that you could switch from the antenna to the fm modulator? Seems like that might be the gold standard of isolating the modulated aux input signal from the outside world (radio stations)? Just a thought...

1) Cost

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried tapping into the AFM? If it's modulating/tuning the stations, isn't there a chance there's an analog audio output coming out of it, that's fed to the radio? If so, I'd think I could inject my audio signal there, and have a direct aux input? Does this make sense?

If I have time this weekend in gonna try to take the AFM out, crack it open, and see if this might be a possibility... Inputting analog audio directly into the AFM, after the tuner, before it gets digitized and sent out via MOST. If this is possible, I think it'd be freaking sweet... It would solve all modulation issues, and would be a great entry point... BUT, with all the brain power on this forum, if this was possible I'm guessing someone else would have probably already tried this?

I like it! I'm all for saving money. I guess my earlier question, is why are there whole docs out there like this one, that lay out an entire install procedure that's (imho) flawed: http://volvo.philipfotos.com/English_install_ver_6_5.pdf this is what I followed, and (because it doesn't account for the 2nd antenna) it just doesn't work right. You get massive amounts of rf bleed from the other antenna, so there's always that persistent crackle in the background, that kills me...

But I guess you just can't believe everything you read on the Internet, right? I plan to purchase those connectors you recommended, and go from there. Did you experiment at all with different fm modulators? I'm willing to pay a decent amount for a good one - but had decided to go with the isimple because it got decent reviews on Amazon, and seemed like it'd do the trick - plus the fm modulator market is pretty slim these days! Are there any other fm modulators that are more highly rated than others?

Also, has anyone ever tried putting an rf relay into this setup, so that you could switch from the antenna to the fm modulator? Seems like that might be the gold standard of isolating the modulated aux input signal from the outside world (radio stations)? Just a thought...

1) Cost

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The more I think about what I proposed, the less likely it seems. Why would they: bring in FM/AM signals, demodulate them (into sound), output them as analog, and then reconvert them to digital in order to send via MOST? Seems very improbable - all bets are that its digital only within the AFM. Long story long, I'll stick with the FM modulator route. I bought those connectors you posted (thanks so much for the link!) and install once everything arrives, hopefully next week. Thanks

Has anyone tried tapping into the AFM? If it's modulating/tuning the stations, isn't there a chance there's an analog audio output coming out of it, that's fed to the radio? If so, I'd think I could inject my audio signal there, and have a direct aux input? Does this make sense?

If I have time this weekend in gonna try to take the AFM out, crack it open, and see if this might be a possibility... Inputting analog audio directly into the AFM, after the tuner, before it gets digitized and sent out via MOST. If this is possible, I think it'd be freaking sweet... It would solve all modulation issues, and would be a great entry point... BUT, with all the brain power on this forum, if this was possible I'm guessing someone else would have probably already tried this?

1) Cost

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The V50 has two antennas (diversity set up to reduce multi-path). One is located in the right side rear window. The other is in the hatch back glass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts