SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Does anyone have an idiots guide to replacing the alternator on a 1.8 V50 ?
Looks lots more involved than the 2.4.
I can only just see the alternator on my 1.8 never mind taking it off.
Anyone done this job before and if so what parts did you have to take off to get to the alternator?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
Mine is even more of a pain than that one.
Mine has a tensioner pulley above the alternator.
Managed to get the alternator off this morning took nearly 2 hours. Really tight to get it out once it was unbolted.
Was expecting to have a 150 amp type fitted as i have heated seats, but its got the 120 amp type fitted.
Can i fit a 150 amp type and will it need a software update for the bigger alternator ?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thanks.
Mine is even more of a pain than that one.
Mine has a tensioner pulley above the alternator.
Managed to get the alternator off this morning took nearly 2 hours. Really tight to get it out once it was unbolted.
Was expecting to have a 150 amp type fitted as i have heated seats, but its got the 120 amp type fitted.
Can i fit a 150 amp type and will it need a software update for the bigger alternator ?
Ahh yes sorry that sticky wasnt for your year, Should have taken some pics!:thumbup:

Aslong as the connector and bolt patterns are the same and the belts line up, you can gladly put that 150 in there. No software updates are needed for replacing the alternator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks EvolvO . Are you sure about not needing a software update, as I've been told tonight that I do need an update if I fit the larger alternator.
Still not sure?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
hmmm maybe your right, our cars could be like the mercedes and be equipt with an inteligent charging system, thus needing to be reprogrammed, Though iv never done this or heard of it besides mercedes. maybe forcefed or someone else can chime in with more knowledge.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Thanks EvolvO . Are you sure about not needing a software update, as I've been told tonight that I do need an update if I fit the larger alternator.
Still not sure?
Yes you DO need an update when going from 120 to 150A. Problem is, the update MUST be done, as soon as the altenator has been changed. If you drive with the new altenator but no update, you can scrap the new altenator and even other parts.

Why did you want a 150A altenatpr? The 120A is more than enough...

Btw.: the top tensioner: which version did you have? Volvo used two different ones on the 1.8 and 2.0l petrols. One being a tensioner (active) which will take all slack off the belt. The other being a rigid wheel, where the belt tensions itself. If you have the latter, then your car has already been updated. I though wouldn't change that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the update.
The reason for me changing to a 150 amp one is that all the information i have seen said that mine should be fitted with a 150 amp one due to having heated seats but when i removed it my car had the 120 amp one. Ive been having real problems trying to find a new 120 amp one here in the UK.
My car has the earlier type tensioner i think, you put a spanner on the tensioner and lever back to loosen the belt.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
150A was mainly only for the 2.0d. My 2.0l (same engine as yours just with more displacement) only has the 120A one - even though I have all power luxuries you woul want (except sinroof and power seats - mine are heated). The 2.0d got the 150A as it has the tendency to drain the battery on coldstarts so Volvo fitted them with a more powerful altenator.

Did you look for Ford altenators? They are the same...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone.
So i decided to put back on the same type as what came off. (120 AMP) Couldn't be bothered with the hastle of going to the dealer for the update , for 150 AMP type.
Job took aprox 3 1/2 hour strip and fit.
Not a hard job just time consuming as you cant get to it without removing the top adjuster first and moving A/C pipes and wiring looms to one side. Then find space to drop it out from underneath.
Fitted a Lucas 120 amp from Eurocarparts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts