SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2006 V50 with 130,000 miles. The "alarm service system required" message has started coming on at startup. I replaced the siren several years ago when this happened and everything worked great until recently. This time I noticed the battery would be drained after sitting overnight. I pulled the fuse on the siren control module and this has stopped the battery drain. I assumed the battery in the siren was bad and this was causing the drain when the car was turned off. Today I pulled the siren and opened it up. I checked the battery just to make sure it was the problem and it's showing 4.8 volts of output. So now I'm wondering what the problem is and how to diagnose it. Is there a way to check if there's something else wrong with the siren besides the battery? Is there any harm in just pulling the fuse and disabling the siren control module? I don't need the alarm and turning off the notification after start up is no big deal. I just didn't know if it would cause trouble down the line, since so much of the electronics seem to be interconnected on these cars. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
It's not a problem to pull the fuse and ignore the error. But what you really should do is connect VIDA and diagnose the issue. It might be something simple.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our '05 V50 owned by us since new (98,000 miles) is at the dealer. The alarm comes on all by itself, with no consistent pattern. The only message is "alarm triggered; check car." Last time (a couple years ago) the dealer diagnosed something wrong in the left side rear seat door. Charged me about $600. After a year or more of OK, the problem started again: siren, lights blinking, etc. Now the dealer is saying something wrong in the front passenger door: $800 to fix. FYI, the car lives outside (but we're in SoCal) and the rear door/bumper have been replaced twice due to very minor fender benders. Also, the headliner has been replaced. My confidence in the dealer's work is very low. Ideas? Suggestions? Our local go-to audio/electronic shop tells me that their after-market systems save the code of which sensor triggered the alarm. My dealer is saying, "our Volvos won't produce that info." Say what??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts