SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever attempted to do a manual trans swap on a V50 2.4i? Seems very doable, since it's a sister to the S40. Just daydreaming...

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Should be do-able, but I'm the wrong person to say since I just stick to things like alternators and such :D

I have daydreams too, but not enough money in the bank :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been reading up on transmission replacements and swaps. ARD Tuning has some requirements, although there is still information missing.

"P1 conversion 2004.5- P1 manual swaps for models like the C30, V50, S40, C70 start to get even trickier mostly due to the Lin bus network using primarily serial communication rather than switched inputs to designate gear selection like park, neutral, or drive. This isn't to say that P1 manual swaps can't be done but it takes considerable work to do it cleanly. My advice to most folks is to simply grab the wiring and modules from the high speed network from a proper manual car and install to your model. Then recode the ECU for manual trans file and it doesn't get much cleaner than that. P1 models suffer all the same issues with reverse lights, etc.. but can be easily overcome with a network swap from a donor car. So for those interested be sure to consult a proficient install shop and tuner as it's quite a bit more complicated than previously discussed models. We'll be finishing our first P1 manual swap later this spring so look for an update at that time!"

That was written at the end of 2012... I've requested an update to see what is auctually required as far as the whole network swap and modules... Some part numbers or module names would be great to try and figure out what is required.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm simutaneously encouraged and discouraged... that's a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm simutaneously encouraged and discouraged... that's a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.
Pretty much. The entire internet comes up with selling your car and buying a manual if you really want it. I'm still digging as to try to come up with a list of items that are actual requirements. The LIN bus for MY05 (s40 my2005 electrical.PDF) shows that the GSM (Gear selector module) is the only thing listed for transmission control. If that is indeed the only difference between manual and auto as far as network and modules go, it might not be that complicated...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
And here I am wishing the 2.0D was available with an automatic at all :p

I get that sporty shifting can be fun, I just prefer lazy comfort. Only regret I have about this car, should have gotten a frickin' auto :)

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I spent 2 years working on this and the final conclusion is that it's not worth it.

First, you need to track down the parts which is a pretty penny.
Unless you intend to DIY, good luck finding a shop to do the work. Momentum Volvo in Texas was the ONLY shop I found who would even attempt such a conversion.
But your biggest problem is the tune. ARD claims to have a custom tune for a manual transmission swap. The ECU in these cars will not recognize a manual transmission if it's auto. A lot of tweaking has to be done, which may include leaving components of the automatic in place and telling the car that the system is in Neutral at all times. You may also get a weird display on the screen with this and potential limp mode.

In my case, I had performance parts with an Elevate tune that I also wanted to factor in. But I would not be able to run any other tunes because they would associate the VIN with an automatic and overwrite the manual conversion software file.

It is possible, but you're going to be running close to $3k in parts and software, plus labor, and risk a car that won't drive. It would be wiser to sell the car and put another $3k towards a newer P1 in manual. That's why I have a C30 now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just found a 05 Donor locally, going to try and see if I can get it for a price that works for me. An AWD with 6 speed is pretty tempting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts