SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
V50 1.6D Commonrail Fuel Sensor/Failing Fuel PUMP Repair!

Good morning,

Having a last resort attempt here, before my beloved v50 goes to the Scrap yard!

Car specs
Volvo V50, 2007 mod.
1.6D(DV6 engine, D4162T 80kW)

Symptoms;
v50 stalls its self out due to Highrail pressure sensor detects "too low pressure" on lengthy trips(more than 60km).
If v50 is left shutdown for more than 1 hour, v50 runs smoothly agian(if fault code is removed using Volvo VIDA, it resumes normal operation for another 60km)

V50 have been going without issues <60km a trip, for the last 1500km.

What have been changed last 25k km.
Fuel pump, Fuel filter, fuel lines from tank to engine.

Want to change the Fuel sensor on the high pressure rail but cant find any guide nor does Haynes cover change of sensor on a 1.6d engine.

Looking for some individuals that have had experience with changing High pressure fuel senor on a DV6 engine(D4164T).

W/r Shyol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got vacation, going for it! Will change the pump, common rail and timing belt! Will give update when done and tried out the car for a loooong trip!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Good luck. Don't forget to bleed the rail before you start working on it, CR engines on the diesel side that have piezo injectors still operate at 100-500psi depending on model. Obviously not the 28,000psi the big boys operate at but it coudl def still cause some injury.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Repair Done

Greetings, new update.

Can confirm the reason for the Low fuel pressure was indeed a failing Fuel Pump. Drove 2000km after change, during vacation and have had no indication on Low fuel pressure in VIDA.

So in total, the repair cost me 400$, buying a used Diesel pump that had run 80 000 KM. My local workshop price, 3800$.

I had no experience with working on engines prior to this repair.

What did i use;

and Volvo Vida (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?481385-VIDA-Dice-2014D-VM-Image-Download-Link).
Volvo Vida gives a great insight in what parts to change, under information tab->replacement.

Biggest Hurdle;
1. In order to get the sprocket of the diesel pump. You need a Sprocket puller, i made one myself but needed M7 bolts in order to fit the sprocket. You need a speciality store on Bolts to get M7 size.
2. Engine mountings was stuck, used Impact Wrench to get them off.
3. Getting Flywheel off(Impact wrench used both clockwise and AntiClockwise while engine was locked with stopping pin)
4. Inexperience

Tips;
1. There was no need to bleed the Rail after install. After i changed the diesel pump and commonrail/distribution pipe, i used a vacuum cleaner on the diesel return valve as described in Volvo VIDA.(Vacuum cleaner in not described in vida but create vacuum)
2. drain the engine coolant BEFORE dismantling the EGR distribution pipe.
3. get a 13mm Ratchet Wrench for fastening the lowest Bracket bolt for the Diesel Pump.
4. Timing on the diesel pump is Irrelevant on the DV6(D4162T/DLD-416), Secure the Camshaft(i used a dirllbit) and Crankshaft(used an umbraco).
5. Get 2sets of Gloves, save one pair for the Timing Belt removal in order to not contaminate.

Time spent;
26 hours used for the Diesel pump and Common rail. Mainly due to inexperience working on engines.

Ended up changing the DPF aswell, had hoped to burn it off. Was clogged when i did the pump change, reccon it was clogged due to improper combustion related to low fuel pressure and ALOT of city driving.
Can confirm you can drive 2000km+ on a clogged DPF!

VIDA reports NO FAULTS DETECTED!

W/R Much Proud Shyol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts