SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

What turbo is fitted to the new V40 T5? Is it still the K04 just running higher boost or is it another turbo?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ha ha Volvarine....I see the New T5 spec has caught your fancy :)

Also quite keen to know more about this 5 Cylinder Setup

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
you are probably going to get more info in the s60-v60 forum...i think the t5 s60 use the same setup..

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm also curious about the details. Token - this T5 is the old 2.5l 5-cylinder engine which the US market have in their S60 while the "T5" used in other markets (in the S60/V60) is the new DI turbo-4 cylinder 2.0l engine. Very confusing because apart from having two engines with the same name, I thought Volvo had annouced they were phasing out the 5 and 6 cylinder engines. From some very sketchy details published on Australian car websites, they are talking about modifications to "reduce internal friction" etc. So whether it is the already upgraded T5 the US uses in the S60, or the base T5 with the Polestar tune as standard - I'm not sure.

Tony

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Afaik the new 5 cylinder T5 in the V40 will be DI. It has higher static compression also compared to the 230 HP T5.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Afaik the new 5 cylinder T5 in the V40 will be DI. It has higher static compression also compared to the 230 HP T5.
I hope very much that this is true. But if it is, doesn't this fly in face of Volvo's decision not to develop their 5 and 6 cylinder engines anymore and in fact to phase them out? And if they do convert the existing 2.5l T5 to DI, what about the T6? That is an engine which in my mind cries out for DI to address its fairly ordinary fuel efficiency. A T6 with DI would then be more than a match for BMW's benchmark N55 35i engine.

Tony

·
Registered
704 Posts
- The Volvo 4cyls VEA engines program is in late.
- I've heard that the 4cyls VEA is going to be an expensive engine and there is no immediate plan to introduce it in the hood of the small Ford focus based V40.
- In the end of 2012, beginning of 2013, the gasoline 5cyls are going to be present in the following cars:

180hp / 1984cc S80, S60, V60, V40
210hp / 2497cc XC90
213hp / 1984cc V70, S80, S60, V60, V40
230hp / 2521cc C70, C30
254hp / 2497cc S60, V60, V40

The 213hp V70 burning natural gas is already for sale in the MY13 swedish catalogue.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
- I've heard that the 4cyls VEA is going to be an expensive engine and there is no immediate plan to introduce it in the hood of the small Ford focus based V40.
- In the end of 2012, beginning of 2013, the gasoline 5cyls are going to be present in the following cars:

210hp / 2497cc XC90
230hp / 2521cc C70, C30

The 213hp V70 burning natural gas is already for sale in the MY13 swedish catalogue.
Hello Medels,

Actually this is pretty surprising since Volvo had announced that they were phasing out their 5 & 6 cyl engines!
This raises a few questions:
1- if those new 5 cyl engines are all DI, why are their fuel consumption so high?! (just check v40 specs)
2- Why doesnt volvo continue using Ford DI engines? Those engines are getting rave reviews...
3- when will the VEA engines be introduced, the original date was late 2013...
4- What about the VEA diesels, when will they be introduced, and wont they maje it on the v40 either?

Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
1- if those new 5 cyl engines are all DI, why are their fuel consumption so high?! (just check v40 specs)
Do you still believe in the NEDC european cycle? The 2.0 213cv in the V70 has no DI and no S/S.

2- Why doesnt volvo continue using Ford DI engines? Those engines are getting rave reviews...
The powershift is so so bad.
The 4cyls 2.0 240cv is really dull
Yes, you can fired people working in the engine plan in Skövde Sweden and continue to buy engines from Ford.
When european customers are willing to pay for a gas engine, they want a Volvo engine.

4- What about the VEA diesels, when will they be introduced, and wont they maje it on the v40 either?
1- A large place of the factory where the VEA engines should be built is occupied by the 2.0 Ford TDCI engine that Volvo sell by hundred of thousand to Ford of europe . The production of this engine was supposed to be stop. Ford has apparently given an offer that Volvo could not refuse to continue the production until the end of Euro5
2- The other part of the factory looks like that:

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Do you still believe in the NEDC european cycle? . . . . . no DI and no S/S.
I think keeping the 5 is a very good move. The 5 cylinder is part of the Volvo experience IMO. DI is debatable but not adding S/S is a weird decision. I think it contributes to the fake cycle very much and helps lower Volvo's emission footprint.
Same goes for getting rid of the GT or ad a manual option with these and the 6 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
None of Volvo's "own" petrol engines are DI. Higher compression is due to the 5cyl getting updated with the components/construction the 6cyl's have had for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
704 Posts

Thanks.
8 variants are planned to be introduced between 2013 and 2017.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Do you still believe in the NEDC european cycle? The 2.0 213cv in the V70 has no DI and no S/S.

The powershift is so so bad.
The 4cyls 2.0 240cv is really dull
Yes, you can fired people working in the engine plan in Skövde Sweden and continue to buy engines from Ford.
When european customers are willing to pay for a gas engine, they want a Volvo engine.

1- A large place of the factory where the VEA engines should be built is occupied by the 2.0 Ford TDCI engine that Volvo sell by hundred of thousand to Ford of europe . The production of this engine was supposed to be stop. Ford has apparently given an offer that Volvo could not refuse to continue the production until the end of Euro5
2- The other part of the factory looks like that:

So we will hopefully see an 8 spd Torque converter type Auto soon? Any timeframe? Volvo is desperate to have a proper auto tranny to compete with the best, they are losing LOTS of sales due to their last generation trannies.

About the Nedc cycle, at least we can compare apples to apples, and volvo is quite behind, especially with the auto trannies and the 5 cyl engines.

Regarding your quote about Euro 5; does this mean we will have to wait until 2015 so the factory is emptied?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
8 variants are planned to be introduced between 2013 and 2017.
Do you know their engine capacities? Last time volvo announced that they will have 500cc per cylinder, which means the engines below 1600cc (for tax reasons in some countries) should be 3 cyl designs, is it true??

·
Registered
3 Posts

210hp / 2497cc XC90
230hp / 2521cc C70, C30

V60 with the engine new 2.0T T5 213hp is just on sale in China today. What is this new T5? It seems not good that all the specs, torque, hp, fuel consumption…… even compared with the old one.

The turbo will start since 2700r……my god! What is this? I searched all the website and found nothing about this T5.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Try not to get too carried away - the 5 cylinder engine didn't make its mark with Volvo initially, but with Audi back in the early 1990s. I do agree however that the D5 and the 5-block Volvo engines are pretty good.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
V60 with the engine new 2.0T T5 213hp is just on sale in China today. What is this new T5? It seems not good that all the specs, torque, hp, fuel consumption…… even compared with the old one.

The turbo will start since 2700r……my god! What is this? I searched all the website and found nothing about this T5.
Here is what is currently offered in my country (Croatia):

V40: http://www.volvocars.com/hr/all-cars/volvo-v40/which/pages/engines.aspx (T5 is 5 cyl, 254HP/360Nm)

V60: http://www.volvocars.com/hr/all-cars/volvo-v60/which/pages/engines.aspx (T5 is 4 cyl, 240Hp/320Nm)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Try not to get too carried away - the 5 cylinder engine didn't make its mark with Volvo initially, but with Audi back in the early 1990s. I do agree however that the D5 and the 5-block Volvo engines are pretty good.
Audi? back in 1990s? You gotta be kidding.. :D

Short history of 5 potters:

Henry Ford had an inline-five engine developed in the late 1930s to early 1940s for a compact economy car design,
which never saw production due to lack of demand for small cars in the United States. Consequently, a straight-five engine
did not see production for passenger cars until Mercedes-Benz introduced the OM617 diesel in 1974. The first production petrol
straight-five was the 2.1 R5 introduced by Volkswagen Group in the Audi 100 towards the end of the 1970s, developments of which
powered the Audi Quattro rally racer. Since Volvo introduced their Volvo 850 in 1992, much of their lineup has switched to
straight-five power, with their engines also seeing use in Ford's Focus ST and RS models. Honda used straight-fives in the Vigor,
Inspire, Ascot, Rafaga, and Acura TL.

In the late 1990s, Rover Group developed an in-house straight-five diesel engine, the Td5, for the Discovery and Defender.
Volkswagen has used straight-five engines in their Eurovan, and have recently developed a different straight-five engine which is
used in the Jetta and Rabbit in North America. Fiat also makes use of straight-fives (both petrol and diesel) in larger Fiat,
Alfa Romeo and Lancia models. General Motors has used Atlas-based straight-fives in their GMT 355 mid-size truck family since 2004.

·
Registered
420 Posts

As mentioned by Kova, the 2.0l DI T5 has been in Europe for a while. Here in Australia its been available in the S60, V60 and XC60 since late last year. With regard to the V40, I understand both versions of the T5 (ie the old 2.5l 5 cylinder T5 and this 2.0l 4 cylinder) will be available for the V40, but probably not in the same market.

Really think Volvo have stuffed up their engine naming system - its just plain confusing.

Tony

1 - 20 of 37 Posts