SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to find this out from European Volvo websites but can't find any info on it.

A question for those people in the markets where the V40 has been released - what is the situation with a spare tyre (tire) for the V40? - ie does it have one either as standard or an option? If so, I'm assuming it will be a space-saver spare? If it does have a spare, where is it kept? What I'm asking here is there a space for it under the floor, or like the S60/V60 is it simply tied down in the luggage area?

Thanks for any replies.

Tony

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Are you serious?! they could not find a space under the trunk floor for a spare tire on the S60/V60. Woa, that's lame. My S40 has a space for it and I can't imagine living with a spare tire visible in the trunk!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think the spare tyre is no longer an option (at least in the UK) as tyre repair/inflation kits are now becoming standard. When I got my new V50 it had the inflation kit as standard but I managed to get my spacesaver swapped from the old car to the new. I asked at the time about the V40 and the dealer said it came with the inflation kit and no bay for a spacesaver.
Unless Volvo have two different sets of floorpan for the V40 for differing markets I expect that no spare is the answer. If you stick a spacesaver in the boot you'll have an even smaller boot!

As was demonstrated on a recent consumer report show here, the inflation kits are next to useless in most puncture situations - if the tyre is damaged then it won't work and you're stuck waiting for recovery. Not an ideal situation on many roads. Once you've used the sealant that's it - if the tyre deflates again then you're back to square one. I think the reason to remove spare wheels from cars has been driven by the demand for cars to be greener, so reducing the vehicle weight reduces emissions by some ridiculously small amount, allowing manufacturers to meet government targets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Repair kit in mine, but a spare is an option if you choose the double level floor in the boot.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. As it hapens the V40 was launched here in Australia last week and goes on sale from today (1st March). Engine options are D2, D4, T4 & T5 (the proper 2.5l 5-cylinder T5 thats in US-spec S60s). Its going have a sales battle on its hands with the new A-Class being released at the same time at very competitive pricing. One of the bigger disapointments is the lack of a manual transmission option on the T5 - which is a bit silly when you consider the T5 is only available in R-Design spec with 18" wheels and lowered suspension etc. People are asking if they could have the option of a 6-speed manual on the C30 T5 with much the same engine - why not the V40?

All Aussie-spec V40s get a space saver spare as standard - and its stored beneath the boot floor. I'm not surprised Volvo Australia have opted to do this following the considerable backlash from both the local motoring press and potential customers over the lack of a standard spare on the S60 and V60 while running on conventional non-runflat tyres. It really does say something about the level of technical competence of the Volvo engineers who designed the S60/V60 without a space for a spare. I mean if they can fit one in a smaller V40 - and still have a reasonably sized fuel tank (which at 58/60 litres is bigger than some mid-sized cars) and boot space - why not on the larger S60 and V60?

Looking forward to some test drives in the coming months. Still unsure as to whether to go for a V40 or stay with our much-loved C30 T5.

Tony

·
Registered
444 Posts
Apologies for the incorrect assumption in the first part of my reply above. Glad to hear that spacesavers will be an option - as my V50 is booked in next week for service will have to interrogate the salesman I spoke to (and hopefully crawl around the V40CC).

The move away from spare tyres to inflation kits is really stupid IMHO - my wife drives a Toyota Urban Cruiser (AWD version) which has no spare, and no space for a spare if we wanted one. Just a inflation kit - and where is that stored? Under the front passenger seat!!! I have put an axe and wood working tools in the car so she can fashion a wheel from the nearest tree should she ever need to....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, had a quick squint into the boot (trunk) of the V40 Cross Country as I dropped off my car, and it has a round 'cutout' in the sound proofing but no space for a spare - and it has the tyre inflation kit located there.

I can't quite see the point to of the V40CC - AWD option is only available on the T5. Why not make available across the whole range, even as an option, or even on the D3/D4 diesel engined versions.

The rumour of a 'proper' XC40 is still being mentioned as a possibility.

Must away, got a C70 to play with for the day!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The space saver is an option you also need the split floor as well
1, Tempa spare wheel 150 uk pounds
2, Flexiable Load Floor and grocery bag holder 100 uk pounds
so a grand total 250 uk pounds to your bill as listed on my vehicle order form

1 - 11 of 11 Posts