SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Saturday, pulled into the Home Depot parking lot here in San Diego in my '08 S40 and look in front of me only to see a Volvo V40 backing out of a parking spot. I grabbed my cell phone and snapped a few shots.

There were actually two of them. They had the words "Test Vehicle" labeled in white on the back window and side door. Engine was clearly a diesel (sound) and I think the label read "D4." I parked and hopped out of my car to get a better look as they were cruising away. Two guys in red polos shirts in the front seats, some sort of laptop mounted to the dashboard and and strange antenna affixed to the roof. The cars had AZ tags, but some weird non-standard plate number. That's all the details I've got. (Love the shot of the car in front of a circa-2000 S70)

Not sure if this means the car is actually coming here (with a diesel??), or its just undergoing some testing in a arid climate (Arizona). But glad they took the trip out to the coast--I was just telling my friend the day before that if the V40 shows up in the US he'd love it, and then it literally "shows up in the US" the next day, heh.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Great catch. Certainly intrigued about the diesels. The D4 is a 5 cylinder 2.0 litre diesel - effectively a cut down version of the 2.4l D5 which has been around for a while) I did read some time ago that Volvo uses the warmer parts of the US for what they call "warm weather" testing of their diesels for those markets such as the Middle East, Asia and of course Australia.

Tony

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow, good catch! You should send that to TMZ... hehe!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't count on it. "No" was the word straight out of a Volvo North America VP at a meeting I was at last month.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Looks like Edmunds edited the post...now says volvo confirmed that they will not sell the V40 here. It now reads...

"Volvo also reconfirmed that it will not sell the new V40 hatchback in the U.S. It adds there are currently no plans for any other V40 variations, even though sedan and wagon versions have already been styled. "

http://www.insideline.com/volvo/xc90...der-study.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
What is their logic for justifying the decision to not make the car available to the US market?

·
Registered
572 Posts
What is their logic for justifying the decision to not make the car available to the US market?
Pricing the V40 competitively in The US would force Volvo to lose money on every car they sell. In my opinion, the car would be much easier to sell in Canada, as we're much more receptive to upscale small cars, so it's a shame to be lumped in with the US.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Pricing the V40 competitively in The US would force Volvo to lose money on every car they sell. In my opinion, the car would be much easier to sell in Canada, as we're much more receptive to upscale small cars, so it's a shame to be lumped in with the US.

As simple as it is this is most honest and the best answer I've heard so far when looking at the interior. I'd be happy to spend a little more on upscale small sedan but to some limits (though there is nothing else I'd rather buy right now). But I'm not the typical US Volvo buyer I guess.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I guess I'm not, either, then.

If there's one thing we should learn about the US market, though, it's that we often have no idea what we want, as a collective. SUVs didn't even exist in the mainstream until about 1995 and then suddenly we all had to have them. Were we to be presented with a well-executed and well-marketed (there were no A3 ads until 2010's TDI) premium hatchback, I'm sure people would buy them like crazy. We're just never given that chance...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
the more i read about this car and watch the reviews on youtube, the more i hope volvo does eventually bring it to the USA. looks great, very functional, like the interior and top notch safety they're known for.

it seems poor planning for long term survival of the company if you don't have an entry level, smaller car to bring people in. i think it competes very well against audi a3/4, volvo gti, mini cooper... and would at least somewhat fill the huge vacuum they are creating dropping the c30, s40, and v50. those same buyers are going to go elsewhere if volvo doesn't offer them something.

·
Registered
201 Posts
the more i read about this car and watch the reviews on youtube, the more i hope volvo does eventually bring it to the USA. looks great, very functional, like the interior and top notch safety they're known for.

it seems poor planning for long term survival of the company if you don't have an entry level, smaller car to bring people in. i think it competes very well against audi a3/4, volvo gti, mini cooper... and would at least somewhat fill the huge vacuum they are creating dropping the c30, s40, and v50. those same buyers are going to go elsewhere if volvo doesn't offer them something.
Agree. If they bring in their 2.0L and/or 2.5L inline-5 engines, that would be great. The 5-cyl engines would be a great selling point, even though Volvo's upcoming 4-cyl engines are probably more fuel efficient and put out higher performance.

However, I don't think this car would be any cheap, and will probably be priced very closely to the S60. Furthermore, the trunk is very small, and its overall length is shorter than the S40/V50. Well, it's a hatchback afterall.

Whatever the case maybe, bring it on.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
When are you all going to realize they can't and won't bring it here.
It COSTS TOO MUCH as an entry level car
If they build a manufacturing plant here, that will be the only way.....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
V40 in the US?

This is what the board meeting will be like at Volvo NA:

Executive 1: "I got a great idea to boost sales- why don't we sell the V40?"
Executive 2: "That's a great idea, Bob! It's been getting lots of good reviews in Europe."
Executive 3: "And you know, the Germans are beginning to push smaller cars, so we need to stay competitive in that market."
Executive 4: "I'll give you 4 good reasons why we shouldn't sell the V40 here: 1- S40 sales, 2- V50 sales, 3- C30 sales, 4- C70 sales. If buyers want a wagon, they'll buy the V60- and oh boy, are we going to light our sales figures up with this. Bob, wipe that smile off your face, I'm being sarcastic. I know you drive a V70, but nobody will buy a wagon."
Executive 1: "But sir, the V40 is actually a 5 door hatchback and-"
Executive 4: (Peering over his spectacles) "Really Bob? You're going to argue that your hatchback, wagon, or whatever layout that nobody cars about here, will be our sales savior? And don't say the media loves these cars- because I don't care what C&D thinks. I care about sales figures. Now... anybody else have any idiotic ideas?"

Silence for a few seconds.

Executive 4: "Good. Now let's talk about the XC90 and XC60."

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Yuck, those tail lights scream Ford Focus hatchback. Not diggin' it, Volvo. Cool sighting, though!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts