SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this idea running in my head:

For real or just for entertainment purposes I thought it could be really fun to discuss the idea of a group buy in importing a bunch of V40s to the US!
I know many cars can be imported to and from countries to countries. Much will need to pass certain certifications (which from States to States can vary unfortunately) and will often need emission or head lights modifications.

I have a friend who imported his Ford mustang to France as he went to live back there. I think it cost him about 5000 Euros including transport, modification, and certifications. He did not need to pay taxes though since he had owned it for quite some time here.
Doing the other way around is likely different…

I’m not saying it’s a cheap or easy adventure but despite all that I was curious to test the water, see who’s interested even in just the topic of discussion for the time being, and see as a group what can or cannot be done when it comes to car import…

I was even entertaining the idea to contact Volvo or some Volvo Dealer to help out if they could . . . you know like an over-sees delivery sort of thing but with a vehicle that normally does not get shipped here.

Obviously there would be a lot of questions to be answered such as:
- Would Volvo honor warranty?
- Could they even fix the cars (I don’t see why not, though getting parts could have lead times)?
- What would the cost be and what model could be imported
- Etc…

Anyway feel free to speak-up your mind!
Thx for reading. This land is as strong as its dreams ;)

Greg

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
How about OSD?

·
Registered
397 Posts
At one point, I heard that Mexico was going to get the V40. This may have just been a rumor though...

Mexico seems to have a way of getting cars that we cant from Volvo, i.e the v60. but it sounds limited and mainly special order. its not that difficult to import cars that are sold in both countries, but it is not easy to import cars from canada or mexico that arent offered here. From Canada is easier because emissions standards are closer, but from mexico I'm told its quite difficult...mainly because of safety and emmisions. Its easy to get cars from the US to other countries though because we have some of the highest safety emmisions standards in the world...coming in is another thing altogether. And even if it was easy there would be the issue of no warrenty, parts supply, etc. Its a costly and timely proposition just to get a car that isnt sold here. I love the v40, but the price it would probably come to would not near be worth it imho.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
What patrick said above, +1.

- Would Volvo honor warranty?
- Could they even fix the cars (I don’t see why not, though getting parts could have lead times)?
I think the better question is how could Volvo possibly honor the warranty. It's US technicians are not trained to repair the car. Most of the parts would need to be directly imported from Sweden as there would be no stock here. Honoring a warranty with work to be done by third party technicians is logistically difficult enough and Volvo doesn't have the infrastructure in their warranty plan to do so. So no, Volvo would probably not be able to honor the warranty, though I'm sure they wish it was feasible.

- What would the cost be and what model could be imported
If you read up, it has to be an "auto of interest" to be imported and use of such autos is very limited. This is really only worth doing for something very special, such as what Bill Gates did for his Porsche 959.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I see this thread hasn't started to well :p

I was entertaining the thoughts of how you would do it rather than should you do it :D
I realize very much the complexity and cost. But wouldn't it be cool to have a rare Volvo in the US?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Don't Know much about this Topic , but really think Volvo has made a Mistake - Not - bring the V40 R & XC to USA .

That said ; It does seem Mexico would be easier to due then Europe , They already have the V60 , and I thought I saw a Photo of a new delivery V40 there .

I Know I could Drive the Truck ,Load the Truck - Full of Cars - Smile .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts