SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you guys can help me pinpoint this or point me in the right direction.

My 2002 V40 front sways back and forth while driving. Think of it as taking very small turns back and forth, not a shake. I replaced the brakes and rotors this weekend, (because they needed it) and I checked the wheels by seeing if there was any play vertically and horizontally, which I did not detect. So I'm thinking it's not the tie rods or the sway bars.

Any thought on what it might be?

Alignment?
Engine Mounts?

Tires are fairly new with good thread.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good that you checked the front. However, the thrust angle of the vehicle is determined more so by what is happening in the rear. Even if alignment of the toe is correct in a shop, going down the road could be very different.

Check the rear trailing arm bushes, as well as the lateral links.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The problem is likely the tires. I see it every once in a awhile. Customer gets new tires, Now car feels "loose". Especially on grooved pavement. I'd disregard the previous response.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The problem is likely the tires. I see it every once in a awhile. Customer gets new tires, Now car feels "loose". Especially on grooved pavement. I'd disregard the previous response.
LOL, ok.

He mentioned brake work and now suspension play. If what you're saying is true than the tires would be wandering due to suspension travel outside of oem spec.

I'd inspect things that effect steering feel, like tie rods, sway links, and rear lateral links and control arms.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, ok.

He mentioned brake work and now suspension play. If what you're saying is true than the tires would be wandering due to suspension travel outside of oem spec.

I'd inspect things that effect steering feel, like tie rods, sway links, and rear lateral links and control arms.
OK, I went out and checked it again and I can feel play in both front wheels when I grab the wheels horizontally and shake back and forth. When I do this on both wheels the wheels on the opposite side move so I'm thinking it's something to do with the steering as opposed to the tie rods on each side.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Are you referring to the sway bar end links or the steering gear tie rods? The tie rods themselves connect to the steering knuckle, and if the ball joints on them are shot then you'll not only have play but should here some clunking or at least feel that through the steering (more so a low speeds and when going full lock). If you have that much play either way then something is obviously worn.

Another quick check on the front; as the top mounts and bearings go relatively quickly on these; Look at the top nut on the top of the strut tower, if it is off center then you have a bad strut mount. Also, you can take a wrench to the top nut and check for play, turn the wrench as if you're going to tighten it further and if there is more than 1/8-1/4" movement you have a worn top mount.

·
Registered
505 Posts
also, does the movement you're experiencing happen more at any one time? Like when you're coasting, or braking, or under acceleration?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, does the movement you're experiencing happen more at any one time? Like when you're coasting, or braking, or under acceleration?
It's happening all of the time. I took a closer look today putting the car up on stands. The boot cover on the steering rack is ripped and I can see the teeth. I can easily move both wheels (either side) back and forth with little effort and the rack and the steering wheel will move. The tire rod (inner and outer) seem stiff enough and are not moving independent of the rack. The whole steering system moves when you push either side tires back and forth and given the rip in the boot, I'm thinking I may need to replace the rack.

I guess it has to go to the shop on Monday.

·
Registered
505 Posts
If the boot is ripped and you can see into the rack that isn't good. Also the movement you described sounds like the rack mounting points themselves. Could be as simple as new inner tie rods and boots along with new bushings and brackets that hold the rack. I recommend a repair over a replacement as the whole rack assembly is quite expensive.

All of the parts i described could be had for around $150. VS a new rack at about $700.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts