SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I was waiting to hear back from V-MAXX via EST. But after a week of no response and seeing EST has sold another member the kit without first looking into answers to my issues. I figure I will write this review to deter any other members from buying this "kit"

***Pictures to come***

First impressions out of the box:
Looks like ebay crap...
But hey... the VW guys use them so they must be alright.... right??

Onto the install:
Where the F$%k are the instructions?
Ok, ok I am a car guy I can figure this out...

Front install:
Well... when you lay out the fronts that came in the kit, it is evident that you need to reuse:
-Strut top mounts
-Strut top bearings
-Strut top bushing/bump thingy
(maybe this is why they are much cheaper)

Front OE suspension removed, and stock parts installed on V-Maxx Fronts.
With the adjusters FULL LOW.. Ughhh... these "helper springs" are 3/4 of the way compressed... I don't think they are going to do much "helping"...

With the V-Maxx fronts installed and the car back on 4 legs with the adjusters at full "low" I got about a finger and a half gap from the tire to fender.... uhhhhh un-cool, so much for wheel tuck..

Rear Install:
I took the car to a Indy because the spring compressor I rented was a POS.
The Indy installed the rear springs and adjusters. He called me and said... umm you need to come look at this...
I roll up and see my car sitting outside... He says, that is the stance with the adjusters all the way "low"
It looked like stock....
So I told him to remove the adjusters and install just the springs. (1.5h)
So he did so, there was no wheel tuck with the adjusters completely gone. But the springs flexed so much over such small bumps...

In the end:

I had to pay an extra hour and a half to get the rear adjuster plates pulled out, and springs re-installed.
I got a lower car, that bounces all over the place and the rear end that squats and rubs like crazy over just a crack in the road.

I ended up throwing in some hunks of Polyurethane between the rear control arms and the subframe to stiffen the rear.

And next I am going to try and pull out the helper springs and throw them in the garbage along with the rear adjuster plates.....

·
Registered
338 Posts
What a shame that a "reputable" vendor like EST can get away with this kind of $hit. You'd think that if they aren't researching the application fitment in advance of offering a product, what other corners are they cutting? Frank needs to man up and offer some quality customer service.

You should return the kit for a 100% full refund, including your labor costs. This is unacceptable business practices.

Consider adding a link to your thread here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?165172-**-Vendor-Feedback-Thread-**

Better yet, ask the mods to create one for this forum.

·
Registered
839 Posts
lol i PM'd frank a few weeks ago, all i wanted to know was were the coils were manufactured

V-Maxx is based out of Holland and all of their kits are TUV approved as well. We sell many of these kits to the VW and Audi guys and they love them.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Frank
EuroSport Tuning
since he never gave me a real answer i assumed they were made in china, and stayed away.....

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Wow that sucks to hear that...

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for the record, this is not to bash EST.
I am still waiting to hear back from V-Maxx through EST. Then maybe we will talk refund.
I wanted to get this out there before another sucker ends up with this coilover kit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
as we speak, mine are arriving today via usps...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I love my ST Coilovers and they're almost the same price as the V-MAXX... I hope you guys don't go and find some horror stories about STs lol! They claim to be the little brother company of KW. No complaints from me thus far (5k miles on them).

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I love my ST Coilovers and they're almost the same price as the V-MAXX... I hope you guys don't go and find some horror stories about STs lol! They claim to be the little brother company of KW. No complaints from me thus far (5k miles on them).
Don't worry, there is a lightyear of difference between ST and V-MAXX.. ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
First off, I had vmaxx on my mk4. They're a budget coil and go plenty low when you take the right **** out of them. How long have they been on your car for. It usually takes a good week or driving for them to settle completely. If you want the front lower then pull the helpers out. The only reason they're there is to hold the spring in the correct position. Pull them out, they serve no purpose.

A lot of mk6 dudes have had problems with the STs making "groaning" noises. They're pretty quality coils but just because they're the brother company doesn't mean theyre the same quality.

I wouldn't say there is a "lightyear" between ST and VMaxx quality, fitment, or ride. There are certainly differences but it's not like a raceland compared to a Bilstein.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take the top "helper" spring off, pull one of the locking collars (two are not necessary, the KWs only use 1) for the fronts. Install the rears with no perches.
Do exactly what he said.
I removed the helper springs last night, the ride is a bit better. You will have to choose only one of the bump stops. I left the stock bump stop in, and removed the ****ty vmax thing that sists at the bottom of the cylinder base.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
OPs car is super low?? Better not ever go on vwvortex!
I meant that he is aiming to go really low, like many VW modifiers aim for. This whole coilover and how low can you go discussion seems to come up pretty often.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Flatout scary!

I guess going super low is a big thing here. I'm not sure I get it because I think the pictures of after installation from the OP look to be perfect ride height. Personally, add some spacers and boom! clean ass set up.
+1 Looks good.

OP, any word from vmaxx yet?

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Oddly enough, and as weird as it sounds, it kind of proves my 'theory' right. I avoid brands/places that overuse "X's" and "Z's" or "Y's" in places that it normally wouldn't be.
Lol, may have to prove that theory of yours.

Sorry to hear your issues, like mentioned start pulling unnecessary components.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
+1 Looks good.

OP, any word from vmaxx yet?
Nope,

With the helper springs out ridequality was much improved.
Now i just need my rear fenders rolled so i can remove the poly blocks i put in the back...

And everyone was talking about slamming the car....That is not what I was going for. I was just suprised that the height my car was at IS as low as it can go. Mind you, with the helper springs removed, the fronts can now be dropped like crazy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts