SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I both have had bouts of Melanoma skin cancer, so the other day when I wanted to open the Panoramic Roof My wife objected due to the UVA and UBV radiation potential. I have to admit that I do not have any information on UVA and UVB radiation through the Panoramic Roof. Does anyone have that information? When we had the Toyota Highlander I inquired via Toyota and they responded:

Dear Mr. Fernandez,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your patience while we researched your UV inquiry.

The UV cut rate for your 2015 Toyota Highlander are as follows:

Moonroof/Panoramic Moonroof (tint): 98%
All other glass (UV coating): 99%

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
Toyota Customer Experience Center

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a UV meter that I used to test my home windows before determining if I wanted to add a film to protect the interior from fading, I can see what it says if we can get a good sunny day at noon.

In general I think just plain glass blocks 100% of UVB.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
My wife and I both have had bouts of Melanoma skin cancer, so the other day when I wanted to open the Panoramic Roof My wife objected due to the UVA and UBV radiation potential. I have to admit that I do not have any information on UVA and UVB radiation through the Panoramic Roof. Does anyone have that information? When we had the Toyota Highlander I inquired via Toyota and they responded:

Dear Mr. Fernandez,

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your patience while we researched your UV inquiry.

The UV cut rate for your 2015 Toyota Highlander are as follows:

Moonroof/Panoramic Moonroof (tint): 98%
All other glass (UV coating): 99%

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
Toyota Customer Experience Center
It has been discussed many times before in various forums. There is NO UV protection from manufactured tinted windows. It’s all cosmetics. If you want protection talk to a tint shop about tinting your sunroof and windows.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
It has been discussed many times before in various forums. There is NO UV protection from manufactured tinted windows. It’s all cosmetics. If you want protection talk to a tint shop about tinting your sunroof and windows.
Side windows (even if tinted), rarely protect from UV rays unless laminated.
Sunroof glass has a UV blocker built in but that is why the sunshade is there.

·
Registered
898 Posts
To add to Grecian comment.
In the XC90 that would be (I.e. laminated)
Windshield, panoramic roof and rear windshield.

I know from talking to Saint Gobain the window manufacturer of our sweet Volvo’s that side windows in the US generally don’t offer UV protection.

I would check Solargard they are owned by Saint Gobain now so chances are you’ll get a good ceramic UHP film

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Before buying the car, I had contacted Customer Care about UV rays and Tint. Volvo gave me a different story. Here is the complete thread.

"
Yes, you are correct.

I.e. front windshield allows in <1% of UV rays into the vehicle.

Unfortunately, we do not have any information for the amount of visible light transmitted for tinted windows. The windows come standard with the tint from the factory.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Eric
Volvo Car USA
201-308-8598

----

Just to be make sure I understand it correctly. The number are % of UV rays that would make it into the car. i.e. for Front windshield <1% of UV rays will make it into the car. correct?

Can you also provide more details on amount of visible light (not UV rays) transmission for tinted windows? I would like to install tints on the front windows and would like to match the tint on rear Windows (staying within local legal limits, ofcourse)

---
Hi XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Volvo. In the 2019 XC90, the rear doors and hatch have tinted windows. Below, we included the percentage of what rays come into the vehicle.

Front windshield <1%
Front Doors 18%
Rear Doors 3%
Panoramic Roof <.5%
Rear Screen 3%

If there is any assistance or information we can offer, please do not hesitate to let us know!
Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Eric
Volvo Car USA
201-308-8598

---
Hi

I'm interested in 2019 volvo XC90. I noticed that the specs say Windows on XC90 are tinted. Can you provide details on which windows are tinted? is the Windshield glass tinted? do they block 100% UV light?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Side windows (even if tinted), rarely protect from UV rays unless laminated.
Sunroof glass has a UV blocker built in but that is why the sunshade is there.
Speaking of the retractable thin-fabric sunshade under the panoramic roof in the current-day new Volvos:
Is it possible to get the translucent shade replaced with an opaque shade that opens and closes?

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I contacted Volvo Car USA's Customer Care Center. They responded very quickly to my question concerning UV protection. Here is the information that they provided:

The Windshield is <1% transmission
The Panorama Roof is <0.5% transmission
The Front Door Windows are 18%
The Rear Door Windows are 27%

I noticed in the above post, that the rear door windows are listed at 3% rather than what I was given as 27% The rear doors windows do have a tint so perhaps instead of 27% the guy meant 2.7% and just missed the decimal point. I could see where they would just round off to 3. Also note that initially the Customer Service Rep indicated that he did not have information on Visible light transmission, only the UV light transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I will probably get the front door windows tinted. I should be able to get a waver concerning tinted side windows in California. Now I have the information. Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I contacted Volvo Car USA's Customer Care Center. They responded very quickly to my question concerning UV protection. Here is the information that they provided:

The Windshield is <1% transmission
The Panorama Roof is <0.5% transmission
The Front Door Windows are 18%
The Rear Door Windows are 27%
For which MY? The numbers I got are for MY19

·
Registered
994 Posts
I recall an older thread where we discussed that laminated side windows are optional on the XC90 in Europe, but not available in the USA except on the Excellence which had them standard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So I will probably get the front door windows tinted. I should be able to get a waver concerning tinted side windows in California. Now I have the information. Thank you for your responses.
Same here, I'm going in to get front windows tinted (matched) with rear ones on Wed. Hopefully, 3% UV ray transmission shouldn't be a concern, correct?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just to make it more confusing
The front windows says VLT70% no mention of UV
To skip the Volvo inconsistent info I went with the glass manufacturer which stated that there’s almost no UV protection on the side windows in the US except on the laminated Excellence trims.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For which MY? The numbers I got are for MY19
My car is a 2017 XC90 T8 Inscription USA. I double checked with Volvo and the rear windows are 27%. As someone noted the side windows for USA cars are not laminated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ok! That got me curious, so I shot off another email to Volvo. Here is what I got

"The following information is for the UVT% or how much UV light is able to pass through the glass on your 2019 XC90. We hope this helps!
Front Windshield: <1%
Front Doors: 18%
Rear Doors (privacy glass): 3%
Rear Doors (standard glass): 27%
Sunroof: <0.5%
Rear Windshield: 3%

If the glass on your rear windows is darker than the glass on your front windows, you have privacy glass. If they are the same as your front windows, than they are standard glass."
Glass on my rear windows is indeed darker than front windows, so I guess it has 3% UVT.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok! That got me curious, so I shot off another email to Volvo. Here is what I got

Glass on my rear windows is indeed darker than front windows, so I guess it has 3% UVT.
Excellent! Thank you for the clarification. Knowledge is Power! I also have darker rear door windows but thought perhaps they were only blocking visible light and not UV. So that is even better. I am going to tint the front windows and carry a Doctors note in the car.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Speaking of the retractable thin-fabric sunshade under the panoramic roof in the current-day new Volvos:
Is it possible to get the translucent shade replaced with an opaque shade that opens and closes?
No

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for the clarification. Knowledge is Power! I also have darker rear door windows but thought perhaps they were only blocking visible light and not UV. So that is even better. I am going to tint the front windows and carry a Doctors note in the car.
Here is a link from the 2017 era of the SPA XC90s. You might find the information in the following thread useful. Many measurements were performed by professional installers and some well-informed enthusiasts.

As I recall, there are three key factors to consider:
1. Tint (Amount of light passing through; a/k/a privacy);
2. UV Protection; and
3. Heat rejection.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...peed.com/showthread.php?t=522113&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 45 Posts