SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

121 - 140 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Got the PTC grommet replaced, the old one was pretty hard and warped at the base. Reset fuel trims and drove for about 25 mile and unfortunately im still getting the fuel trim error in Vida. I will switch out the MAF today. I was poking around and found a PCV related hose disconnected. Around the banjo bolt you have the two coolant lines and the air line that goes to the trap box. When i was replacing the PCV, i replaced the two rubber coolant lines knowing the can leak over time. I may have cut the lines a little longer than they should have and i guess that pulled the air hose off the trap box. Do you think this could be part of the problem ? I assumed that was all positive pressure system and not vacuum related.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The little vacuum hose that goes to the banjo bolt? I can't remember exactly where that attaches, but I think that's a vacuum source. I would try to get in there and reattach it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
NVM, i just got my hand in there and it was connected. Optical illusion form where i was viewing from above. Sorry for the confusion. Swapping MAF now and going for a cruise. Will report back findings

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
After MAF replacement and 65 miles CEL came back on today. Went inside had some lunch and fired her back up, the CEL was gone. Ran Vida again and this time the LTFT upper limit DTC was yellow and previous cycle was red. I also got a warning on catalytic converter, same thing previous cycle red, current yellow. Cat seems fine to me no rotten eggs smell. I also realized im getting some blow by cause im getting some smoke out of the dipstick tube when revving the engine. Just realized PO's swapped the dipstick thinking the orings were bad. They swapped the wrong one (the one with 1 oring instead of 2). Which is shorter and gives false level readings. I did confirm i have the proper dip stick tube. I then swapped the proper dipstick and my oil level is just over the top tick mark. I read this can cause problems and vida said it can throw a LTFT Lower limit error. Im going to drain some oil tomorrow AM. This rabbit hole is never ending. Any thoughts on the CAT error or any thing else now that PTC grommet and MAF have been replaced ? Thanks for all the continued help and support.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I wonder if maybe your rear O2 sensor is on its way out? Clogged cats aren't unheard of, but they're not too common. I'd start by eliminating any other potential vacuum leaks, and if you're certain that there aren't, I would probably just go ahead and replace both O2 sensors.

I don't remember, did you replace the PCV on this car?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I'm pretty confident after 2 smoke tests I don't have any Vac leaks. I did replace the PCV but didn't replace the tube going from the trap box to the PTC. I have a new bosch rear O2 in inventory. I'll purchase a front, replace both and report back. Also read a few threads saying some blow by and smoke from dipstick when reving is normal on these engines with high mileage. Not sure if I'm buying that.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I replaced both 02 sensors with Bosch and the CEL came back on after 45 miles. Still long term fuel trim upper limit. Also had warning for large evap leak. The evap warning seems to happens after i reset the fuel trims but then the warning in VIDA goes away after 60 or so miles. I activated the canister valve in VIDA and i can hear a difference so i think its working. Put a long screw driver on the injectors and pulse sounds consistent across all five and no smell or evidence of leakage. Poured in some fuel treatment. Also replaced the passenger side motor mount and the minor cabin vibration is gone. This wagon purrs and drives/accelerates great. This makes no flippin sense ???? Thinking of bringing it to an Indy for further diagnostics. Is there anything else you guys can think of or other tests in Vida i should perform before i surrender ?

Recap of new parts ive replaced

-PCV (but not the breather tube and cooling line combo that runs under the intake manifold)
-Timing belt with tensioners etc
-OEM volvo plugs
-Bosch MAF
-Bosch front and rear 02 sensors
-PTC grommet
-Thermostat
-Coolant temp sensor

·
Registered
15,964 Posts
Thinking of bringing it to an Indy for further diagnostics. Is there anything else you guys can think of or other tests in Vida i should perform before i surrender ?
I would bet that you combined with the SS collective know more about what is going on than 99.9% of shops. Unlikely to be constructive unless you have a really really good Volvo shop in the area. My parents found out the hard way that our local Volvo shop that all of our friends gave Volvos gave glowing reviews of is actually a bunch of hackers.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I would bet that you combined with the SS collective know more about what is going on than 99.9% of shops. Unlikely to be constructive unless you have a really really good Volvo shop in the area. My parents found out the hard way that our local Volvo shop that all of our friends gave Volvos gave glowing reviews of is actually a bunch of hackers.
Thanks for the compliment on me being somewhat competent. Not feeling it right now though. It's got to be something small that Im missing.

·
Registered
15,964 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on me being somewhat competent. Not feeling it right now though. It's got to be something small that Im missing.
It might or might not be as big a complement as it feels given the incompetence of most shops lol but either way just trying to be real about the situation.

Things that have happened at local shops here:
"You need to replace your PCV because you have an oil leak" (car had fresh PCV replaced at Volvo 6 months prior and glove tested good two months prior)
"You need a MAF and O2 sensors to fix your lack of idle control" (car had a massive vacuum leak caused by a bad purge valve)
"We can fix your broken P2 door handle" (failed again two weeks later and found hundreds of zip ties criss crossing in every imaginable direction.........)
"You need two new tires. Michelin discontinued A/S3 so we can put two new Premier AS on instead. Mixing tires is fine." (owner thankfully was smart enough to call Michelin and ask if that was a good idea)
"Turning off the SRS light is going to take longer than we have today" (.........it was a 850 you literally plug in the VST and turn it off)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It might or might not be as big a complement as it feels given the incompetence of most shops lol but either way just trying to be real about the situation.

Things that have happened at local shops here:
"You need to replace your PCV because you have an oil leak" (car had fresh PCV replaced at Volvo 6 months prior and glove tested good two months prior)
"You need a MAF and O2 sensors to fix your lack of idle control" (car had a massive vacuum leak caused by a bad purge valve)
"We can fix your broken P2 door handle" (failed again two weeks later and found hundreds of zip ties criss crossing in every imaginable direction.........)
"You need two new tires. Michelin discontinued A/S3 so we can put two new Premier AS on instead. Mixing tires is fine." (owner thankfully was smart enough to call Michelin and ask if that was a good idea)
"Turning off the SRS light is going to take longer than we have today" (.........it was a 850 you literally plug in the VST and turn it off)
Wow... that''s awful. So many of these shops really have no business working on cars.

·
Registered
15,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts

·
Registered
15,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Nope! That was the local Volvo shop that all our friends who had Volvos before we did were talking up how great it was.

Everyone on google thinks it's great, too, apparently: https://www.google.com/search?gs_ss...8#lrd=0x89e49e913b0eebab:0x2f412ecce1cd2830,1,,,

Meanwhile, everyone I have met in the past few years who has a clue about Volvos and has ever been there has had a negative experience.
Not too surprised... I've been consistently disappointed with work that I've seen shops do. I've never brought any of my cars to a shop for service, but there are only 2-3 that I trust of the hundreds in the Charlotte area.

My second guess is the airbag light thing. That really sounds like a dealer excuse.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I was looking into the Evap error in Vida ECM-4308, and it states possible issue could be defective fuel tank pressure sensor. I pulled some live readouts at idle and it fluctuates from 63 to 0. MMMMMM, wondering if I may have a wonky sensor on its way out. And not sure if this would have any relation to the long term fuel trim CEL. Next time one of you guys are running Vida, can you pull your live readout of fuel tank pressure and see if it stays constant or if it fluctuates from a reading to 0.

·
Registered
15,964 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I was looking into the Evap error in Vida ECM-4308, and it states possible issue could be defective fuel tank pressure sensor. I pulled some live readouts at idle and it fluctuates from 63 to 0. MMMMMM, wondering if I may have a wonky sensor on its way out. And not sure if this would have any relation to the long term fuel trim CEL. Next time one of you guys are running Vida, can you pull your live readout of fuel tank pressure and see if it stays constant or if it fluctuates from a reading to 0.
I'll try to take a look tomorrow if I get a minute. That sounds a little odd... just maybe this will actually be the issue.
We have a winner!
Only two tries, not bad! Lol

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Went to smoke test the Evap system, when disconnecting the short rubber hose from the purge valve to the plastic hose that runs along the fan shroud to the back, the plastic tubing snapped. Replaced that section with a new rubber hose. Applied smoke and the only place i was leaking was at the air filter that's part of the filler neck assembly (didn't know there was an air filter there). So I hoping that brittle hose was the reason for the EVAP large leak in VIDA since no smoke was present from the EVAP canister and and fittings. Time to drive another 50 miles and see if CEL comes back. Im mostly updating my thread to keep track of everything I've done troubleshooting for reference. And hopefully if I solve this riddle, someone else will benefit.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Better to keep a record... I've been in that position MANY times where I find a thread with my exact issue, then it's left open ended.

121 - 140 of 183 Posts