SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've put the front of the car up on two jackstands quite a bit. It's easy, lift from the engine subframe with some wood as a brace and toss the stands under the proper jack points.

But what about the rears? I know you're not supposed to use the pinch weld spots, but is it okay to use the most rearward ones just to get it onto the jackpoints? I think the rearward ones don't lift the whole side of the car.

I've got quite a bit of work to do, and would like to get the whole thing lifted up with all four wheels off of it while I do it.

Registered
I raised my S80 up in the back by placing the jacks under the large controlarms which hold the springs. Not sure if the s60/s70 has the same layout. Not sure if it is best way buy worked ok I think 馃檪

Registered
When I replaced the exhaust on my R, supported rear here. Steel domes (approx size of a softball) just car-forward of the rear lower control arms. The domes have holes in them which I believe to be the tie down points during transport.

Additional photos in my thread, post #135. Link: Addicted-to-a-new-drug-torque-baby!!! post #135
IMG_0303.jpg

Registered
Yeah what qwkbrk mentioned. Jack it up from the rear jackpoint under the door and stick the jack stand where he mentioned.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I used the rear subframe mounts, looked up and I this it's in pic 4 here:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...ur_Vehicle/03-BASICS-Jacking_Your_Vehicle.htm
When I replaced the exhaust on my R, supported rear here. Steel domes (approx size of a softball) just car-forward of the rear lower control arms. The domes have holes in them which I believe to be the tie down points during transport.

Additional photos in my thread, post #135. Link: Addicted-to-a-new-drug-torque-baby!!! post #135
View attachment 53675
Yeah what qwkbrk mentioned. Jack it up from the rear jackpoint under the door and stick the jack stand where he mentioned.
Cool. I'll give that a shot. Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I know where to put the jackstands. My concern was more around getting the car in the air, so that I can place it on the stands. Using the side pinch weld spots to support the car is a no no, so I was concerned about lifting it from there.

"TNN81-04-2003-07-29 Title: When lifting a vehicle it is important to use the proper lifting locations and procedure as defined in VADIS. These locations are designed to support the weight of the body when lifted. If not lifted correctly, the body can deform and in some instances create an "oil can" like popping noise when the body is flexed (i.e. when in motion)."

Registered
Where are you guys putting the front jacks/lift arms if you need to remove the subframe bolts. i.e. when doing suspension work? I've usually gone right behind the triangle.

Registered
In the rear I use the lift points (not the roadside emergency jack points) for the jacks and lift by the lower control arm under the shock connection point. This way I also get the max height possible for the given floor jack I use.

I do not recommend the roadside emergency jack points as they strip paint easily and then will rust quickly. You also do not get the same wide platform that you get from the lift plates.

For front it depend if the subframe will be worked on. If I need access to its rear mounts or it needs to be moved even a bit I use the large triangles/bulkheads that the rear subframe mounts are connected to with some 2x6 pieces of wood that cover the entire width of the bulkheads. If you just put the jacks stands floor jack in the middle of the bulkheads they will deform.

If the subframe is not to be worked on I use the rear munts of the subframe for jack stands and lift same as OP. I may boost the height after that by jacking from the lower control arm after I remove the wheels.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So jacking up from where the rear shock bolts to the control arm?

I mainly just want to get it up in the air so I can inspect the poor thing. Being lowered on KWs and driving through 6" of snow a couple years ago made a mess of things in the engine bay. I'm afraid of what it may have done under the car. It certainly rotted away my Phuzz downpipe.

Registered
Reason #1 why I LOVE my Class 2 receiver hitch on the back of my R! Central rear jacking point!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Reason #1 why I LOVE my Class 2 receiver hitch on the back of my R! Central rear jacking point!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
I have the hitch but I'm not using it as a jack point as the receiver is not rated for the weight of the car. It maybe fine though.

Why I like the control arms point is the lifting height that I get. I can actually sit on my butt under the car and I'm 6'1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts