SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the trick? I'd say my success rate is about 30%. I have given up at this point because I feel like an idiot waving my foot around.

The dealer tried to show me how it worked and he was 1 for 4 in his tries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I wouldn't say a trick, I just swipe my foot more towards the left side of the rear bumper. I may have had a few times it didn't work but they are far and few between honestly.

Do you have the styling kit added on the rear bumper? I remember something about something having to be modified when they install it and if I remember positioning of the foot is moved a bit, but we talked about it a while back so I don't remember 100%.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am convinced the sensor doesn't work consistently car-to-car. Our success rate is very low. When I have the dealers try it in my car it is very low. There have been other posts here about the specific sensor location and technique and even if we follow it exactly it rarely works. In fact we don't bother anymore -- can't recall the last time we tried using it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm with you Citivas. Once I get it to work I try to mimic exactly what I just did....and it doesn't work.

No styling kit.

I want to give up but it's so nice to not have to ever take your keys out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wow! I guess I'm just lucky. Step up to the rear bumper (be sure to back away when you hear the beep). Stick your foot directly under the left "O" in Volvo, and swing to the left ending under the sensor on the face of the bumper.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It seems that a kicking movement works best, as another thread on this site suggests. When the salesman demonstrated, he seemed to kick in and moved his foot from side to side; that didn't seem to work every time, but after reading here about the kick (just to the left of the license plate) haven't had a problem - works every time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I watched this video before I got the car. Consequently, I use this exact technique, and it works nearly 100% of the time. It's very possible that the sensors just aren't consistent from vehicle to vehicle, but it is very reliable on mine.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I watched this video before I got the car. Consequently, I use this exact technique, and it works nearly 100% of the time. It's very possible that the sensors just aren't consistent from vehicle to vehicle, but it is very reliable on mine.
Yeah, I saw this a while back. Doesn't work for ours. As you say, I think the sensors just aren't consistent. Just as they apparently aren't on the door handles. Of the two, I'm glad the handles work for me if I have to have one be wonky.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Nice gweempose! Perhaps, you could do the same with the camera facing the rear of your XC90 either diagonally from your left or right. ;)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Nice gweempose! Perhaps, you could do the same with the camera facing the rear of your XC90 either diagonally from your left or right. ;)
It's funny, because the reason I shot it from this angle was to hide my license plate. It just dawned on me that I could have simply covered it up ... :) I can certainly shoot another video tomorrow (it's getting dark outside now).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I have to admit I have never tried it like that. Thank you for posting that video. It's too late to try that method but I for sure will tomorrow. I thought it was more of a "left-right swipe" towards the left side of the bumper.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Wow I have to admit I have never tried it like that. Thank you for posting that video. It's too late to try that method but I for sure will tomorrow. I thought it was more of a "left-right swipe" towards the left side of the bumper.
Yep. It seems to work best with a straight in and out. I use the left radar sensor as my guide.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What's the trick? I'd say my success rate is about 30%. I have given up at this point because I feel like an idiot waving my foot around.

The dealer tried to show me how it worked and he was 1 for 4 in his tries.

I had the same issue until I watched someone kick directly in but you have to be far enough away to let it open. Standing too close, it doesn't work. I have not had it fail and I open it all the time. I use the sensor on the bumper as my guide and kick in directly below it. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
A swiping motion of the foot (L --> R or R --> L) also works well.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
It's funny, because the reason I shot it from this angle was to hide my license plate. It just dawned on me that I could have simply covered it up ... :) I can certainly shoot another video tomorrow (it's getting dark outside now).
Never understood the "hiding the license plate argument" (not from you, just in general when I read comments or see people posting pictures of their car and covering their plate number) but nice video! :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts