SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is interested in a used Volvo wagon. I am a VW fan and really don't know much about Volvo's models. We want to spend less than $15,000. Her only requirement (besides color of course) is she want automatic (blah).<P>Any recommendations on what models (wagons only) we should look for? Any years/models to avoid?<P>Any help appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm very partial to pre-7 series Volvos, myself. So using reliability and practicality as a guide, I'd suggest an early 90's 245. A <I>very</I> good one should easily come in well under your $15000 cap.<P>cheers,<BR>scott<P>

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
15K will buy you a nice 94 855. It may take a while (volvo owners are very possesive and do not readily get rid of their cars), about a month ago, I sold a 94 Classic green GLT, full books and that went for $13,800.00, this was one prestine machine. Your patients will be rewarded.<P>

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I think that you should be able to get a nice 95' 850 wagon for around $15,000. There are a lot of them out there, so do your homework, and you should be rewarded with a nice car.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If I were looking for an automatic wagon for under $15K, I'd be looking for a '93-'95 940 turbo with around 100,000 miles or less. The 940 turbo only came with an auto trans in the US, and 1995 was the last year for the model. The latest B230FT engines (2.3L, 8V, OHC, about 160HP and 188ft-lb torque) were the strongest and the best designed (oil cooled pistons in '94&'95 I believe), but any 940T will have a great engine that will last well over 200K miles. Also, the 940 is rear wheel drive. Depending on year and mileage, you should be able to find a nice 945T for $7000-$14000.<P>Of the engines available in the 940, none should really be avoided, but there is one that you should be careful with. There was a 2.3L 16-valve non-turbo engine that some people have had problems with, mostly because of broken timing belts causing severe damage. I've also read many times that owners who have that engine really like it because of the smooth power it provides (around 155HP, compared to 114HP of the 8V non-turbo engine).<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
A lot of it depends on mileage. I've seen 850 turbos less than $10K with higher mileage. I would say 850 or 940. They both come in sedan or wagon so take your pick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts