SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many remember, i traded in my 2006 r last month. 102,xxx miles on a 2006 manual.

car needs timing belt service still, exhaust manifold asket, tires, and 4c shocks.

i was given a low $7k in trade. I know the car is worth more, but i dont have the time or patience to hassel selling on my own.

I found my old car at a dealer. they detailed the car (i kept it detailed already) and are listing it @ $12,995

that would be a decent price if the car didnt need $3k worth of work the day one buys it. I feal bad for whoever gets it. I feal bad for you guys, as you are going to have to deal with some nube on here asking how to fix it.

You all have been great the last 7 years.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Dealers are shady.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Its possible that they did the Timing service and tires which might be why the marked up price, exhaust gasket is a hit or miss.

What dealer is it so that other may attempt to avoid or inquire with detailed questions.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Did you disclose this info (needs repairs) when you traded it in? If you didnt, I would suggest editing your post. You dont need to disclose that it is due for service - that is buyer beware.

As tuscani says - it was probably done. Remember the dealership wouldnt pay what us punters pay for the service. Some dealerships have reciprocal agreements in place with other marques for just this sort of thing.

I keep an eye out for my old SR as well. Would love to touch base with whoever ends up with it.

I traded my car in about a couple of months after its 90k service so that I didnt get pawned on it. When the dealer called the volvo dealer that did the service to verify that the service was done, they stated that it wasnt. I dropped off the 90K service paperwork as proof. I still cant get my head around why any dealership would lie about not getting service done when it has been. They could have shafted me if I didnt keep the paperwork. It still angers me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you would have been fine. its not like a house. you dont have to disclose anything.

its the burden of the buyer to get any and all paperwork before.

in my case, the exhaust gasket would have been easy to see, but they didnt even bother to drive my car. just walked around it, plugged into the odb11 to look for codes....thenlow balled me.

as hard as i tried, i to this day dont think the guy doing the appraisel has any idea what an R car was versus an s60.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Why should the car dealer be any different from Exxon, your electric company, or any other business that marks things up to the point the market will bear?
Maybe Exxon is a bad example. I'm not sure we can ramp up Volvo prices by claiming the China or offline refinery or home heating oil excuses.

I'm not saying it is right just that we take it in the shorts from a wide range of providers of different things if you are using some yardstick of what it costs and what they sell it for.

I bet you'd be big time pissed if you knew the cost, not considering the fixed costs to cover aside from the product, of loads of performance goodies and car parts we buy daily.

My blood pressure still elevates when I buy a cartridge oil filter for my Volvos or my diesel pickups. I assume the cartridge had to be cut out of the metal can that also housed a bypass valve and an anti-drainback valve. What other reason could you think of for a pleated piece of paper with glued on paper ends and one O ring to cost more, even double, the price of the can filter? ARRGH!

I will say I can beat the price gouge of oil filters for volvos. One of the dealers in this area sells me oil filters for a little more than $5 and all the part stores get $9 or so for who knows whose but this paper once wiped dubious brands and $13 for Mann.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Actually - most dealerships make you sign a disclosure statement these days. Why would they bother if they had no legal recourse?

And yes most people have no idea what an R is. That is why you investigate a real world value of your vehicle worth before you trade.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
you would have been fine. its not like a house. you dont have to disclose anything.

its the burden of the buyer to get any and all paperwork before.

in my case, the exhaust gasket would have been easy to see, but they didnt even bother to drive my car. just walked around it, plugged into the odb11 to look for codes....thenlow balled me.

as hard as i tried, i to this day dont think the guy doing the appraisel has any idea what an R car was versus an s60.
He may not know what an R car was but in the small 'black' books that dealers get weekly, when looked up it does show "R Model" and he based on what that said - though he probably still low balled you but, they're there to earn a profit, not fair market.

So the dealer that has your car currently is??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't begrudge somebody for asking more than you think it's worth. If you were unhappy with their offer you could've refused. This is a silly post. Any used car buyer in the market for a 100k car is likely on his guard and of course under no obligation to pay asking price.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Did you think car dealerships where into charity and good will? There are in business to make money. Dont be mad at them for asking $13k, doesnt mean they are going to get it. They have to start somewhere. Now lets take the next potential buyer, asking $13k, they settle on $9500. thats over 30% off their asking price. That seems like a deal, but dealership still earned $2500. Not bad for just cleaning the car up a little. now everyone is happy. Life goes on, Next.....How can i help you?

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
As many remember, i traded in my 2006 r last month. 102,xxx miles on a 2006 manual.

car needs timing belt service still, exhaust manifold asket, tires, and 4c shocks.

i was given a low $7k in trade. I know the car is worth more, but i dont have the time or patience to hassel selling on my own.

I found my old car at a dealer. they detailed the car (i kept it detailed already) and are listing it @ $12,995

that would be a decent price if the car didnt need $3k worth of work the day one buys it. I feal bad for whoever gets it. I feal bad for you guys, as you are going to have to deal with some nube on here asking how to fix it.

You all have been great the last 7 years.
yeah that suck to see, but it happens daily just about to everyone that decide to trade in their vehicle...also they might have fixed some of the things on your R as well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It can go both ways--a number of years ago a co-worker traded in a pretty beat late W126 560SEL with about 150K. The dealer gave him like $1500; he later saw the car back on their lot for $12,995! That was the going rate for clean ones at that time...

Conversely, I traded an '04 GTO in '07 for my wife's Audi. The trade in allowance was $15K. I kept track of it on their website--they initially priced it at like $20,995 or so, then every couple weeks the price went down. The last I saw of it, the price was $15,995 or so. Not sure if it sold or if they had to get rid of it at auction.

Bottom line though for any car, if you don't like the price, walk. About ten years ago I saw a dealer advertise a 'mint' '83 Hurst Olds for like $8-9K. I always expect some puffery in the description, but when I got there it was a $3-4K car--everything was there but it was worn, cracked dash/console, some laquer check, tip-in stumble (felt like a bad accel pump--could've probably used a carb rebuild), etc. Just a 20 year old used car. They wouldn't budge, so I asked the guy if they don't sell it to call me the day before they send it to auction. The guy called me several days later and dropped it to like $5-6K which I felt was still too high. I bet it went to auction, & they probably got like $2-3K for it (which I'd also guess is about what they gave to whoever traded it in).

I bought my '07 CPO S60R with 34K from the original selling dealer in march 2010 for $23,500. IIRC some folks here thought that was high and I know I could have paid less, but that was what I was willing to pay for a local '07 CPO car with a known history and low miles. And its worked out to be a great car so far, no regrets.

A dealer is like anything else--they win some, they loose some, and to stay in business they need to win more than they loose, but final discretion goes to the customer...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Many of the new/used dealers in STL always ask wayyyy to much for their inventory and they automatically expect you to play the dicker games, just as my2ndimport went through. It's almost always a stressful, miserable experience. I bought my last two vehicles out of town, saved big $$ and didn't have to deal with the STL bullsh$t.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sometimes it can be nice to buy a used car from a dealer. But that depends on how much you know about a caR and how much work you can do yourself. I got my 04sr for 3k less than asking price cause aoc pump was bad. Volvo only puts in whole rear diffs. That's 3k. I bought a used rear diff for $350. And swapped out the aoc pump and changed fluids. Just gotta know what to look for.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
160 Posts
All solid answers here from what I can see. I can tell you this, a few months ago I bought my VR. 04 Auto, 93K all service records and was a one owner adult driven vehicle. The where asking a round number of 12K. I knit picked the car to death as I felt they were asking perfect re-sale. Basically told the guy it was a cash deal, but I do not want the IRS in my buisness. So, I had to have the car for $9999.99, they did the math backwards with a bad month in used sales they wanted to move some metal. I actuall paid 82-8500 cant remember but still had to pay the tax and dealer handleing fees. I have ZERO regrets on my purchase.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
yeah that suck to see, but it happens daily just about to everyone that decide to trade in their vehicle...also they might have fixed some of the things on your R as well.
That is why until my R rusts out, falls apart, no longer passes ME State Inspection, there is no more gas in the U.S. I plan on keeping it; so the next owner will be the Junk Yard...

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
That is why until my R rusts out, falls apart, no longer passes ME State Inspection, there is no more gas in the U.S. I plan on keeping it; so the next owner will be the Junk Yard...
This is kind of where I am right now. "Fight or flight" I'm at just over 92k on my '06 right now. I got my ///M here earlier this year so the R is kind of a spare car. I haven't checked resale values on the R lately but I know if I don't sell soon, prices will dip A LOT.

I still have an odd attraction to the R tho (even while splitting mileage with it's 400+ HP neighbor in the garage :eek: ). I justify keeping the R cause of the AWD but wonder how long that justification will hold.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts