SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted over in the car lounge on VWVortex.com, but i figure this may be a more appropriate forum so here goes.

The Volvo is a Private party sale, has 26,000mi and is Loaded asking 17,700. VIN YV1LZ5648W2473534. A quick check reveals 10 records.

Is there anything screwy to look for? The car appears exceptionally clean from an informal walk around, but 17 sounds like a steal so i'm skeptical. Let me know what you think. Thanks much.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Take it for a long test drive if you can and have a trusted mechanic look over the car if that is possible.

According to ALLDATA, there are no recalls on the AWD system for this particular XC year. The only safety recall involves a tailpipe adjustment if there is a 3rd row seat in the back.

According to KBB, private party sale price for that car in good condition would be about $19,100. The NADA guide says closer to $20,000.

-Drew

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Jorgeaz:
i posted over in the car lounge on VWVortex.com, but i figure this may be a more appropriate forum so here goes.

The Volvo is a Private party sale, has 26,000mi and is Loaded asking 17,700. VIN YV1LZ5648W2473534. A quick check reveals 10 records.

Is there anything screwy to look for? The car appears exceptionally clean from an informal walk around, but 17 sounds like a steal so i'm skeptical. Let me know what you think. Thanks much.

The price is exceptional. Make sure that you take it for a good test-drive. AT 50 mph or a bit more, make sure that there are no vibrations. Check for service records. Accelerate briskly and look in the rearview mirror for any smoke coming out of the rear. Use the brakes and make sure that there is no pulsation (warped rotors). Put the car up on a lift and look under the radiator supports and rear bumper for weld marks on the frame. Open the hood and the door and look inside the fenders for paint lines. Make sure that all 4 tires are the same brand and they have similar tread left.

The price is EXTREMELY good. If the car is good, you are stealing it. We just traded a '98 XC with 57K on the clock (very clean) and we gave the customer $17,500.

Good luck!

Yannis

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind a lot of times is that dealers command a premium and that the prices from Kelley or N.A.D.A. may be based on that. Regardless, it's still a good price.

One thing to check that I don't think was mentioned (unless it was in the title
) is that you should ask the owner about tire rotation and replacement. Have they been replaced? Did he replace them all at the saem time? If less than four were replaced, I'd walk from it as the Viscous Coupling could be damaged.

The AWD cars are great, but you have to be careful to follow the owner's manual when it comes to tires.

·
Administrator
55,940 Posts
You mentioned 10 records. That sounds like close to 3 owners possibly a 4th and with only 26k miles that sounds fishy.

Each transition from one owner/dealer to another usually has 2 to 3 records.

From your basic description I'd pause and try to track down service information from the dealers. Considering there are tons of '98 XCs on used car lots these days....at least here in Northern VA but most have 40k+ mileage.

good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts