SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Volvo 240DL 1990 SW manual transmission M47 (200K ). The upper radiator hose has broken into half . I went to a junk yard and found 2-3. 740 GLs and a 740 GL Turbo intercooler. Can I use the radiators of these cars on 240 DL. The radiators are thicker than 240DL ( Probably 3 rows )with plastic tanks. How can I check at the junk yard whether they are good . These radiators have lots of sensors etc on the passenger side plastic tank.

The other issue is that I want to change the transmission oil as 1st and 2nd are sometimes diff to engage . I went to Redline site . They have MTL and MTL90 oils . Which one should I use . I have also found 70W80 GL-4 (same as MTL)synthetic oils at local shops which are priced similar to Redline .

I also wanetd to change the rear differential oil .I think my car has 1030 type of diff (How can I know for sure ) .Manual says use SAE 80W90 oil.
I found synthetic Mobil 75W90 ,Volvoline 75W90 at the local shops .There are 75-140 oils as well.Which oils do you guys think are good .

I am also planning to change the engine oil to Castrol Synblend .There is 10W30 and 10W40. It seems 10w40 will provide better protection . I live close to Philadelphia so probably I should not go beyond 10 .

I will appreciate all the help.It is really confusing with so many oils in the market

Regards
Gopesh

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Used 740 radiators for 240 and change to Synthetic oils (gopesh)

Here is a good info site on the use of synthetics in Volvos...

http://www.ipdusa.com/Products...D=629

Why go with a questionable salvage radiator when a new 3-row, all-metal radiator is available for your 240 and will last for many years and is superior in all ways to the Volvo plastic radiator.

http://www.ipdusa.com/Products...D=629

George Dill

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: Used 740 radiators for 240 and change to Synthetic oils (gdill2)

i agree, and wait.... plastic on a volvo?! thats a paradox if ive ever misused the word paradox before (and i have). thats so...... non volvo like.... oh well go for the new radiator, its garanteed to work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts