SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anybody tried hotspot tethering their phone using the USB cable? I was unsuccessful in doing so. I can connected to my hotspot on WiFi with no issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi,

Do you want to get internet from the car's 3g connection or vice versa?

I don't think that you can get internet on your phone from USB, however you can def do the tethering via usb from the iPhone to the car.

Omar

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the Middle East the cars don't come equipped with a modem. I'm trying to tap into my phones Internet. The manual says that it's doable and that all I need is to activate USB tethering on my phone, which I did. But all efforts failed so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
that should work out of the box. All you need to do is enable tethering on your iPhone and plug it in and wait until the iPhone will start sharing internet.

Also you can connect your iPhone with Bluetooth and go into the Bluetooth options in your Volvo and enable the option to transfer internet over Bluetooth. That should work as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Last time I checked tethering the iPhone through USB was only possible to a apple computer or if you had iTunes installed on a Windows PC it could go through there. General USB-tethering is otherwise not supported on the iPhone. It is however on Android phones. Just use the usb-cable to charge and tether through wifi or BT would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The easiest way would be to connect the iPhone with Bluetooth and enable the option from the car's phone menu.

With regards to tethering this is the first time that I've heard that it might be a different service. It is built in the os so why should the provider charge you more to share the same connection that you're already paying for?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It makes sense now. I bet I need CarPlay in order to tether using USB.

Thanks all for the feedback.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went and bought a USB 3G dongle and I plugged it into the USB port in the center console. This didn't work. I'm still unable to use internet through USB. I still haven't tried Android device as we are an Apple family.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Middle East cars sadly don't come with the Volvo modem. I want to have a permanently fixed internet connection so that I can tune to Internet radio without having t fiddle with my phone. Plugging through USB seems to be the closest thing. I often switch my Bluetooth off to preserve battery and I don't realize that's it's off when I get in the car.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ok I understand you. I leave my Bluetooth on at all times and then sometimes I plug it in with usb, since my volvo seems to dislike my iPhone. https://vimeo.com/147048515

That happened to me once. I reset my iPhone (press and hold off button and home button at the same time for about 5-10 secs) and it worked after that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you purchase a sim card and add it to your mobile plan? Do the Middle East XC90s include the sim slot in the back?
Sadly they don't. I did get a data SIM card with a package of 2GB of data per month for 8 dollars. It should be enough for my internet radio use. However, I'm only able to use it in my MiFi at the moment and have the car connect to it using WiFi. It works, but it's not really how I want it to work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That happened to me once. I reset my iPhone (press and hold off button and home button at the same time for about 5-10 secs) and it worked after that.
Unfortunately that doesn't work in my case. It works flawlessly and every time with my wife's iPhone though. Hopefully it will be fixed with the latest update.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunately that doesn't work in my case. It works flawlessly and every time with my wife's iPhone though. Hopefully it will be fixed with the latest update.

I think it's your iPhone. Did you try restoring?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah probably it is. But it does that only with the Volvo. I might give restore a shot. I have nothing to lose anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts