SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
each time I start up, the USB stick takes a minute or more before playback begins.
Is that normal?
Wouldn't say a minute, but about 20-30 seconds for me.
Then it takes about a minute to build the list of songs.
I have about 11 Gb of music though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't say a minute, but about 20-30 seconds for me.
Then it takes about a minute to build the list of songs.
I have about 11 Gb of music though.
I was thinking that i might a function of how much music one has.
I have about 8G.

But playback begins for you in 20-30 secs?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I was thinking that i might a function of how much music one has.
I have about 8G.

But playback begins for you in 20-30 secs?
Yes, playback begins within the first 30 seconds.
Also, just from my experience, with a smaller capacity stick (8 Gb) loaded up only to about 3 Gigs it started up faster.

My biggest issue is that it sometimes takes about 2+ minutes to play the next song after I press "next".

Once it starts playing, I scroll the wheel right away, and it seems to help build up the song list.

Also, it's been doing strange things lately, but it's a different story (i.e. it doesn't play some of the .mp3 files that are played just fine in my Sonata).

Maybe there's a new firmware update for this (for the slowness of play, that is). But since I'm about to be done with this current car, I just don't care enough to find out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, playback begins within the first 30 seconds.
Also, just from my experience, with a smaller capacity stick (8 Gb) loaded up only to about 3 Gigs it started up faster.

My biggest issue is that it sometimes takes about 2+ minutes to play the next song after I press "next".

Once it starts playing, I scroll the wheel right away, and it seems to help build up the song list.
could be the disc load I suppose. I have 7G on an 8G drive.
Next is immediate for me. I do the same with the scroll wheel and that does help with random play.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
could be the disc load I suppose. I have 7G on an 8G drive.
Next is immediate for me. I do the same with the scroll wheel and that does help with random play.
Your car is also newer, so different interface, s/w versions.
I keep mine on random, so after the music starts playing and I press "next" - it's a long wait...

I'd suggest putting your music on a 16Gb stick, maybe? Just to see what would happen. But judging from our experience - don't think it'll change it.

Once I get my 2016 I'll see how that behaves.

Also, I wonder, if the USB in newer Volvo models are 3.0, hm...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your car is also newer, so different interface, s/w versions.
I keep mine on random, so after the music starts playing and I press "next" - it's a long wait...

I'd suggest putting your music on a 16Gb stick, maybe? Just to see what would happen. But judging from our experience - don't think it'll change it.

Once I get my 2016 I'll see how that behaves.

Also, I wonder, if the USB in newer Volvo models are 3.0, hm...
I know mine is USB2, but my stick is 3. Hmmmm again.
It's odd to think, but perhaps the car needs some room on the stick for housekeeping? Even if it doesn't write.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I know mine is USB2, but my stick is 3. Hmmmm again.
It's odd to think, but perhaps the car needs some room on the stick for housekeeping? Even if it doesn't write.
I know my car is USB 2.0
As for the space - try it out. There are 32 Gb sticks on Amazon for less than $10. Nice ones too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is a guy on here who put a 200+ GB SSD onto a USB adapter and uses it in his car. Instantaneous song playback, etc...

I think it has to do with the speed of the drive and not the car.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There is a guy on here who put a 200+ GB SSD onto a USB adapter and uses it in his car. Instantaneous song playback, etc...

I've used anything from an old crappy 4Gb USB stick to a high end one (borrowed for a day from work :-D)

All I can say, is that for the first year or so of ownership my car never did that. As the years went by, it started to to respond slower and slower.

I have a feeling that the whole issue started after the dealership "updated" something (during my 10K service, 2 years ago)

·
Registered
191 Posts

Sorry but this is complete BS. The USB port is only 2.0 and will not go any faster on and SSD than a USB stick.

·
Registered
114 Posts
How so? USB 2.0 supports up to 480 mbps, which is 60 MB/s. If you remove 80 mbps for overhead you still have 50 MB/s. Most USB keys have cheap eMMC flash ram, meanwhile an SSD will have fast SLC/MLC/TLC. I am simply repeating what this one fellow reported, but based on the above math I would think it is possible to see an improvement since I have seen many USB keys barely read quicker than 10 MB/s.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Still using the SSD, works like a dream. Have zero issues with start up time, no more than 4-5 seconds before music starts, browsing around albums etc. Tried different USB interface, worked just as fine. Just for the heck of it, and because I could, tried a regular HDD @ 512 GB but that one is slow to play before "revving up". But, it works!
Can not see why other (newer cars) are slower with the exception of more and more complicated code for analogizing the 0's and 1's in the head unit. Would be happy to experiment on my car if you have any wild or exciting ideas.

Happy driving!

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 128GB USB 3.0 stick and it starts to play in about 5-10 seconds.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Can I ask what the appeal is for smallish collections (<20GB) using USB vs Bluetooth?

I've done both but if USB was having such a drastic issue, I would dump it in a heartbeat. I had a similar issue with iPhones and Sync in my old Lincoln and went to USB where it was rock solid.

I guess I'm asking what's stopping you from going to Bluetooth in this example or is there a better solution like SSD?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Can I ask what the appeal is for smallish collections (<20GB) using USB vs Bluetooth?

I've done both but if USB was having such a drastic issue, I would dump it in a heartbeat. I had a similar issue with iPhones and Sync in my old Lincoln and went to USB where it was rock solid.

I guess I'm asking what's stopping you from going to Bluetooth in this example or is there a better solution like SSD?

I don't listen to music except in car. Hence I don't want to fill my phone up (only 16G I believe, os/apps/data take up sizable chunk) with a bunch of music when I could fill it up with pics/vids of grandson instead. The idea of dumping all my music to a usb is very attractive. I've recently gotten a 32G stick, on which my and my wife's collection will fit.

When we do put all our music on it, I hope we don't see these delays, but even if we do I don't think it will be a big deal, will still be much better than waiting for pandora/stitcher/other from sensus.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Assuming your audio is encoded at a suitable bitrate (128kb and up), the sound quality of USB is better than that of Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Assuming your audio is encoded at a suitable bitrate (128kb and up), the sound quality of USB is better than that of Bluetooth.
Do you have any technical info on this?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts