SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues using the USB to Ipod/phone cord to listen to music? I can listen for about 40 seconds or so and then the music cuts out. I can disconnect the cable and then reconnect and it take about another 40 seconds to cut out. Its not the cable as Ive tried 3 different ones. And its not specific to the iPhone and it happens with an old itouch I have as well. I'm going to bring it up during my next scheduled maintenance but figured I'd run it by all of you here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good luck getting this fixed. I've had a problem with the USB port reading my thumb drive. I was told it was because I was using directories (different album in each). The dealer suggested that I just throw all the songs on the drive with no directories. Thanks for that advice....

JOhn

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Has anyone had any issues using the USB to Ipod/phone cord to listen to music? I can listen for about 40 seconds or so and then the music cuts out. I can disconnect the cable and then reconnect and it take about another 40 seconds to cut out. Its not the cable as Ive tried 3 different ones. And its not specific to the iPhone and it happens with an old itouch I have as well. I'm going to bring it up during my next scheduled maintenance but figured I'd run it by all of you here.
It is because you need to have your Sensus version updated. Once they download the update, this problem will go away. What year is your car?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't doubt Grecian on this. It is apparent that Volvo has issued a few updates to Sensus along the way (which is why some people report issues and others don't) and version 3.0 probably consolidates all the fixes/patches plus a few enhancements (typical of any software release). We will be getting the 7500 miles service this month (my wife is driving the heck out of this thing...she has put almost 6K miles on it since March!), and will be getting the Sensus update and some other issues addressed at that same time. As an aside, I will say we had the opportunity to use the navigation system a bit this past weekend and it worked flawlessly from the voice based entry of addresses while on the fly, the guidance and the split screen view that pops up, etc. I know the navigation system gets some grief for the lack of street names (and we complain about it too), but in all honesty it did what it needed to do and did it well. Hopefully, Volvo will continue to offer real updates to Sensus for at least another year for us early adopters...and um, sport mode would be nice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ill mention the Sensus upgrade when I bring it in for the next scheduled maintenance. And sorry its a 2012 3.2 AWD

·
Registered
442 Posts
thavngr98, I had the same problem with cable-connected iPod/iPhone, and after I got the Sensus 3.0 update installed late last week that problem was resolved. However, after playing with it all weekend I can report that I now have other new problems with iPod and bluetooth connectivity not peacefully co-existing (as you know, your iPhone has both capabilities). I am still trying to correctly isolate the exact conditions under which these problems occur so that I can properly report the new issues to Volvo for correction.

GrecianVolvo, what would you suggest would be the correct means to report these issues to Volvo once I can accurately document them? (Yes, I make my living as a professional IT systems analyst. :) ) I intend to report them through my dealer's Volvo service advisor, of course, but I'm also wondering if there's a VCNA technical contact point as well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
From a Pre-Sensus perspective, I have had zero issues. Regarding 1 respondee above - putting loose music files would not seem very reasonable and would be a mess to scroll through... I have a 32 GB drive, have 92 folders (by artist, or album name, or folder name I made for groups of various artists). All that shows up is the list of folders as you select a folder it shows the files within etc. Too easy and works great. I use to be upset that I missed Sensus by a few weeks of my build date...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Thanks Ill mention the Sensus upgrade when I bring it in for the next scheduled maintenance. And sorry its a 2012 3.2 AWD
As drat19 mentioned above, ask for the TOTAL SENSUS update which is Sensus 3.0. Your car, as a MY12, qualifies for that update.

·
Registered
442 Posts
GrecianVolvo, what would you suggest would be the correct means to report these issues to Volvo once I can accurately document them? (Yes, I make my living as a professional IT systems analyst. :) ) I intend to report them through my dealer's Volvo service advisor, of course, but I'm also wondering if there's a VCNA technical contact point as well.
Yannis, didn't receive an answer from you re this other question I posed in my earlier post on this thread. Can you offer a suggestion/answer on this?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I am sorry, I must have missed that post. You can submit in any manner you wish; however, if you send them to me I will make sure they are forwarded to the appropriate department.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am sorry, I must have missed that post. You can submit in any manner you wish; however, if you send them to me I will make sure they are forwarded to the appropriate department.
Appreciate it! As mentioned, I will try to accurately document my occurrences before I send anything along...right now I have some intermittents going on and I'm trying to establish the patterns to duplicate. I'm also trying to accurately determine if it's the car or my iPhone that's the culprit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As drat19 mentioned above, ask for the TOTAL SENSUS update which is Sensus 3.0. Your car, as a MY12, qualifies for that update.
As I write this, my car is at the dealer for the 7500 mile service.

When I scheduled the appointment, I asked for Sensus 3.0. The service writer knew nothing about it.

Dropped the car off this morning, repeated what you've said here: all MY12 XC60s are eligible. Was met with, "We don't know about Sensus 3.0."

It's normal to have bugs. And it's normal to fix them over time. What's not good, though, is whatever Volvo's service organization is doing to make its dealers aware of and encourage them to apply new releases without customers having to ask for them.

We'll see what they did, if anything, when I pick up the car tonight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As I write this, my car is at the dealer for the 7500 mile service.

When I scheduled the appointment, I asked for Sensus 3.0. The service writer knew nothing about it.

Dropped the car off this morning, repeated what you've said here: all MY12 XC60s are eligible. Was met with, "We don't know about Sensus 3.0."

It's normal to have bugs. And it's normal to fix them over time. What's not good, though, is whatever Volvo's service organization is doing to make its dealers aware of and encourage them to apply new releases without customers having to ask for them.

We'll see what they did, if anything, when I pick up the car tonight.
Surprise, surprise! They couldn't get Sensus 3.0 loaded on my car. First, it was because the car was an OSD vehicle and "not in their systems." Then, after I emailed info to the service writer, they decided to call Volvo, who'd left for the holiday.

Very frustrated. It's a pain to take the car in repeatedly. It's a pain to educate the service people on their products. (After all, they only have a couple of models. It's not like it's a Chevy dealer.) It's a pain to have to wait until they get their act together. Most of all, it's a pain being treated like I am the issue because I want an update to the functionality of Sensus. (And given the brain-dead UI design in parts of the system, it really should be updated even more.)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Surprise, surprise! They couldn't get Sensus 3.0 loaded on my car. First, it was because the car was an OSD vehicle and "not in their systems." Then, after I emailed info to the service writer, they decided to call Volvo, who'd left for the holiday.
I can see why you might be somewhat put off (or more) with your dealer. We picked up our OSD XC60 three weeks ago. A quick call to the dealer verified that they would be loading Sensus 3.0 before the "re-delivery." Was not even an issue. Well over a month after 3.0 is out your dealer should be very familiar with it. They must have missed the memo.....

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Very frustrated. It's a pain to take the car in repeatedly. It's a pain to educate the service people on their products. (After all, they only have a couple of models. It's not like it's a Chevy dealer.) It's a pain to have to wait until they get their act together. Most of all, it's a pain being treated like I am the issue because I want an update to the functionality of Sensus. (And given the brain-dead UI design in parts of the system, it really should be updated even more.)
I am really sorry to read this. Feel free to PM me your name and retailer and I will do whatever I can to assist you not that it will bring back the time you spent going back and forth.

OSD cars are no different than any car sold through the regular channels. I wonder if your salesperson never sent in your warranty card to ensure your car is registered (that is the only difference between an OSD car and one sold directly through a Volvo retailer).

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am really sorry to read this. Feel free to PM me your name and retailer and I will do whatever I can to assist you not that it will bring back the time you spent going back and forth.

OSD cars are no different than any car sold through the regular channels. I wonder if your salesperson never sent in your warranty card to ensure your car is registered (that is the only difference between an OSD car and one sold directly through a Volvo retailer).

Thanks for the offer, GV.

But I have to live with this dealer for the next 4.5 years. They won't like being contacted about this. They're surly to begin with when it comes to the electronics. It's as if they don't want to improve -- and wish the cars had remained pre-digital.

If someone from Volvo gets involved (I assume you work for VCNA), who knows what revenge they'll exact on my car.

They promised they'd call Volvo on Thursday, 7/5 to find out how to apply Sensus 3.0. I don't expect they'll actually do that, but I'll call and remind them before the end of the day.

The big problem is the inconvenience of taking the car in again; they don't like giving out loaners and I can't be without the car.

The feedback should be more general for VCNA (and other manufacturers who are designing updatable infotainment systems): customers who buy cars based on these advanced features treat them more like consumer electronics. They expect regular updates and technical support. Dealer service people are generations behind in getting up to speed on advanced electronics and how to service and maintain them.

It's not just this dealer; I had the same experience with what would now be considered an archaic 2006 BMW. I owned the car nine months before the dealer figured out how to apply an update for iDrive that added MP3 functionality to the car.

Still, this dealer needs remedial help. They didn't even start working on this until late in the afternoon. That means they had no intention of getting it done during that visit. They must have known that the update would take hours, even if went fast. Then, when they ran into something unexpected, they had to manufacture an excuse, in this case that the car was an OSD vehicle. Shocking, ain't it, that they'd think there was something different about a car built on the same line and built to US specs compared to every other XC60 they see? Maybe it's that OSD-only GB10 interior.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Yobyot,

First of all, I would hope that you would give me more credit than that. Of course, I would to do anything to jeopardize your relationship with your retailer. On the other hand, we can all come here and complain but this is a classic example where (unfortunately through your experience) we can help improve not only this retailer but others as well.

Some people improve on their own. Others do so by learning from their mistakes and some others when they are shown the way.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yobyot,

First of all, I would hope that you would give me more credit than that. Of course, I would to do anything to jeopardize your relationship with your retailer. On the other hand, we can all come here and complain but this is a classic example where (unfortunately through your experience) we can help improve not only this retailer but others as well.

Some people improve on their own. Others do so by learning from their mistakes and some others when they are shown the way.
Well, I thought better of getting VNCA involved when I hadn't heard from the dealer by early afternoon today. They'd promised they'd call me back. So I called VCNA, told them the dealer had told me they couldn't apply the update because the car was an OSD buy and they needed a "code" to do it.

The person I spoke to didn't sound happy with me, as in, why are you calling us about this? But she said she'd call the dealer.

Two hours later, the service manager called me. First comment: "Why are you calling Volvo?" First excuse? They weren't sure what I wanted; they thought I wanted the Nav DVD update -- which, by the way, I told the service writer twice I'd already applied. Then he said they didn't do the update because they didn't have time. They'd had the car since 7:30am in the morning. Bottom line? They say they'll provide a loaner and do the update next week.

But this dealer hasn't learned a thing -- they're so sure that I miscommunicated or they ran out of time or the car was a problem because it was OSD, they haven't noticed the most important thing. The RO says, "install Sensus 3.0". They could have solved any of these problems had they read their own RO. Now, it's just a scramble to get the case I opened with VCNA closed -- all the while seeing me as the issue.

Too bad -- now I need to find someone else to service the car. This dealer is less than two miles from my home (the reason I bought it from them). But I don't like being made the problem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well, I thought better of getting VNCA involved when I hadn't heard from the dealer by early afternoon today. They'd promised they'd call me back. So I called VCNA, told them the dealer had told me they couldn't apply the update because the car was an OSD buy and they needed a "code" to do it.

The person I spoke to didn't sound happy with me, as in, why are you calling us about this? But she said she'd call the dealer.

Two hours later, the owner called me. First comment: "Why are you calling Volvo?" First excuse? They weren't sure what I wanted; they thought I wanted the Nav DVD update -- which, by the way, I told the service writer twice I'd already applied. Then he said they didn't do the update because they didn't have time. They'd had the car since 7:30am in the morning. Bottom line? They say they'll provide a loaner and do the update next week.

But this dealer hasn't learned a thing -- they're so sure that I miscommunicated or they ran out of time or the car was a problem because it was OSD, they haven't noticed the most important thing. The RO says, "install Sensus 3.0". They could have solved any of these problems had they read their own RO. Now, it's just a scramble to get the case I opened with VCNA closed -- all the while seeing me as the issue.

Too bad -- now I need to find someone else to service the car. This dealer is less than two miles from my home (the reason I bought it from them). But I don't like being made the problem.
I would suggest you contact the next nearest dealership, speak to the SERVICE MANAGER (not just the service writer) preferably in person, explain that you have a serious customer sat issue with the other nearby dealer, and ask him/her if you would be able to establish a long-term relationship with them that will include access to loaner vehicles even though you didn't buy the car through that dealership. If the service manager gets the picture he/she will probably be willing to work with you in order to have your business. if your current dealership's service dept. is as subpar as you indicate, chances are the second dealership has heard a story like this before from other dissatisfied customers and has "stolen" other business from them in the same way.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Two hours later, the owner called me. First comment: "Why are you calling Volvo?" First excuse? They weren't sure what I wanted; they thought I wanted the Nav DVD update -- which, by the way, I told the service writer twice I'd already applied. Then he said they didn't do the update because they didn't have time. They'd had the car since 7:30am in the morning. Bottom line? They say they'll provide a loaner and do the update next week.

This really should be in a "travails of updating to Sensus 3.0" thread, but since the story is here, so's the continuation.

Today, my local dealer tried again -- without apparent success -- to install Sensus 3.0 on my MY12 XC60.

They had the car at 7:30am. At 5pm, they called to say it would take another 30 minutes. At 5:45pm they called to say it "kept hanging at 68%." When I arrived at the dealer, they were ready to let me take a car on the road with an incomplete update. I consider that dangerous as most of the mechanical and certainly all the safety systems are software-driven. I wanted a better explanation from the dealer than, "Well, at least we got two thirds of the update loaded. Is that good enough for you?"

I got in the car. Some of the screens are Sensus 3.0. But it's a mess. The radio (plain old FM) doesn't work. Nav is blank.

The dealer promised, once again, to call Volvo tomorrow. Because, of course, it's Volvo's fault. It's VIDA's fault. It's their ISP's fault. It's because it's an OSD car. It's the fact that somewhere in the world, it's dark. Any excuse, as long as they don't have to admit that they didn't bother to start work on the car until too late in the day (for a second time) to allow for any problems and that they just don't know how to service the car.

But what blows me away is that they don't understand their product well enough to know that an major software update to the car's systems that's incomplete could make the car dangerous.

I made them give me a copy of the RO that said they'd upgraded the car to 68% of the software needed to complete the update and reminded them that three times in the shop for a major repair triggers Mass's lemon law -- though there's really nothing wrong with the car a competent dealer couldn't fix.

Worse, these people don't want Volvo's help. I called VCNA after the first upgrade attempt. VCNA called the dealer who then called me with a wildly inappropriate reaction: "Why'd you get VCNA involved? That makes us look bad."

These folks aren't being jerks about it. They're actually quite pleasant to deal with. And I think they want to do the right thing. But they can't. They're incompetent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts