SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an idea today...well, I already had the idea but today it hit me as to how I want to do it.

Essentially, the 9-volt usb adapters are great and all but I've always wanted something that feels more factory. Very simply, just a female usb port for connecting usb cables and charging devices. Sure, the dollar store adapters do the job but thats no fun and I like being unique :D

My plan will be to retrofit the ports using kits from BestBuy in a way that works aesthetically and feels stock. One will go inside the centre console armrest for charging iPods and smartphones so they can be easily concealed. The other location will be behind the waterfall console, as I noticed there is a perfect plastic face just below the actual waterfall which I'll use this for charging my GPS and can act as a secondary port for a passengers phone.

Found this video that pretty much sums things up (functionality wise) but mine will have nothing hanging out and nothin visible except the internal port itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aR_K3KaiPs

Not sure when I'll try and tackle this but hopefully very soon as I have the time right now. If not it may have to wait until the warm weather returns. Just thought I'd post and see what people thoughts are and if anyone has any advice to share before I dive into this.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Sounds like a clean job!

The later model P1s had a USB in the center console for charging and streaming music from an MP3 player.

Here's something I did in my S40. Not nearly as clean or concealed, but it was very useful and didn't look too out of place:

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
hmmm this is a great idea ! I'm going to have to do this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts