SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using a USB hub in their car for multiple USB devices? If so, what type of hub are you using and how many USb devices do you hook up?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
A usb hub typically splits the data connection only unless it's a powered usb hub. If it's a powered hub, then you are going to have to feed it 12v power from somewhere. Why not get a 12v USB adapter with multiple outputs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A usb hub typically splits the data connection only unless it's a powered usb hub. If it's a powered hub, then you are going to have to feed it 12v power from somewhere. Why not get a 12v USB adapter with multiple outputs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am actually using a Staples 4-port USB hub that i non-powered right now. Just didn't know if anyone had found one that has more ports. I have bought and tried various ones, but it seems that this old Staples one works the best.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So you're able to hook up more than one USB drive to the system?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you're able to hook up more than one USB drive to the system?
yes. I run 4 64GB USB's, but wanted to see if anyone runs more. You end up being able to scroll between the USB sticks. I have a 2013 S80 btw, but systems should similar or the same

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
yes. I run 4 64GB USB's, but wanted to see if anyone runs more. You end up being able to scroll between the USB sticks. I have a 2013 S80 btw, but systems should similar or the same
Would it be easier to just have a single SSD in an external drive plugged into the one port?

With that many ports, you will soon learn that the power doesn't distribute properly I fear.

It probably isn't that bad with the thumb drives though but later if you plug something that requires more juice into it (like an iPhone 6 or a Galaxy S6) it will drop the power from the thumb drives trying to power the one to the phone.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would it be easier to just have a single SSD in an external drive plugged into the one port?

With that many ports, you will soon learn that the power doesn't distribute properly I fear.

It probably isn't that bad with the thumb drives though but later if you plug something that requires more juice into it (like an iPhone 6 or a Galaxy S6) it will drop the power from the thumb drives trying to power the one to the phone.
True. That was actually my original plan. I had all my music perfectly organized on a 250 gb HDD. It works but I found out that there is a limit on how many files the system would recognize per unit. So..I had to revert to splitting them up into 4 separate units.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
True. That was actually my original plan. I had all my music perfectly organized on a 250 gb HDD. It works but I found out that there is a limit on how many files the system would recognize per unit. So..I had to revert to splitting them up into 4 separate units.
You must have every piece of music known to man.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm.. did you try partitioning the SSD into 5 separate partitions? Might work and would alleviate the need for hub. Just food for thought :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did not try that, but it is a good idea. Funny thing is, not all USB hubs work either. I have bought various ones and the only one that can really display 4 that i have tried is my current old Staples 1.1 USB hub. Sounds like not many are doing this so I may as well stick with this solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts