SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided I would try storing some music on a USB flashdrive and play it through the USB port of the sound system in my S80 (2011 if that makes any difference). All I'm getting is a message on the display saying that it is "not readable". I know the flashdrive is formatted correctly. Plus I am able to play this music on my MacBook at home as well as my Windows based computer at work. Incidentally, the music I put on this flashdrive was copied from my "I-tunes" music library on my MacBook. Would that have anything to do with it? Like I said, I can also play it on my Windows based computer at work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I convert from I-tunes to MP3 format?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I had this problem randomly, but it seemed to get worse with recent music purchases.

Find a free ".vbr" encoder online and run your problematic music through it. Solved all my issues. I can't remember which one I use at home, as I don't have it on my work computer. If you can't find one, PM later tonight and I'll tell you which one I use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Incidentally, I just came across this article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204310

I don't know why I didn't think of this last night, but I'll try it as soon as I get home. If it still does not work, I'll go the ".vbr" and see if that works.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was unable to play music off my USB in my 2011 no matter what format I chose from 128 to 320 to FLAC. Newer Volvos don't have this issue, so could be the media player not capable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From the Owners Manual:
The system supports removable media
that uses the USB 2.0 standard and the
FAT32 file system and can index up to
500 folders and a maximum of 64,000
files. The device must have at least 256
Mb of memory.

The system supports playback of files in the
most common versions of formats such as
mp3, wma, and wav. However, there may be
versions of these formats that the system
does not support.

From my experience, a USB drive up to 256GB can be used, but bigger that that, I get the unreadable message.
I use a 256GB USB, FAT32 formatted, and all .wav files - works well for me!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In looking at my music, it's all "AAC" format. I'll convert them tonight and see how it goes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I converted several tracks from "AAC" to "mp3" format. Works beautifully! I did not realize how easy that would be! If a NON-techie like myself can do it, anybody can! I thought forward enough to create separate folders for each group (Steely Dan, Cowboy Junkies, Talking Heads, etc). But I didn't think to create subfolders for individual albums (ie Steely Dan: Aja, Gaucho, Two Against Nature, etc). Guess what I'm doing when I get home tonight? Hey, at least I know it works!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had a similar problem recently but with my IPhone. I resolved it today so I thought I share what happened in case others run into the same issue. Since I use Spotify, I never have any music on the device itself. I only had the free u2 album that came on the phone. The iPhone would connect to the car via usb until one day when I had deleted the album so there was no music on the phone. Since that day, the car would say "usb unreadable" and I could not play anything, not even Spotify. I first thought it was due to an IOS update but today I bought one song, figuring it might be related to the absence of music files. Turns out the car cannot read an iPhone with NO music on it. So you always need a minimum of 1 song on the IPhone for usb to connect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts