SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

USA T8s sitting at the port in NJ?

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  codespanker 
#1 ·
Hi all,
My XC90 T8 was estimated for delivery in mid-October, and reached the US on 10/30; however the dealer told me that ALL T8s are being held at the port (in NJ) while the EPA completes some kind of testing. At this point, I've been told that best guess is 1-2 more week; however, I'm worried as to whether the EPA can do anything that quickly :)

Has anyone else heard this? Did you hear anything different about when they will be released or the nature of the review? Is your dealer doing anything for you to compensate for the delay?

(Also, WOOT first post!)

#2 ·
News to me! But it is true the EPA has yet to release emissions estimates for T8, which I've been on the lookout for. Sure someone will post here as soon as it's out.

When did you order? We ordered our T8 early May and have only been told the original "fall" release date slipped, now anticipating port arrival 12/15. But I suppose if you got your order in a bit sooner than us you may be right. Can't imagine it'll be too much longer before they're released! Have you received a VIN number yet?

#4 ·
I got lucky. I ordered in August, but the dealer had one in their allocation that they were able to customize to be a T8 and meet my requirements.
I do have the vin, and tracked the shipment to the point on 10/30... the question is just how much longer its going to sit there :(

#6 ·
Please don't think I am questioning what you are saying, but I ordered a T8 in April during the first week they were able to be ordered by anyone in the US ...dealers included and it's its currently in final QA status at the factory with delivery on Dec 8th. I've been assured multiple tines by VNA that I will get one of the first delivered T8's in the US...so I'm just surprised there is such a big difference in dates.

I really hope it is, but are you sure its a T8 ?

#7 ·
Interesting. Does your VIN start with YV4BC or YV4A2? (Please do not post your VIN.)

#18 ·
Sitting in port awaiting release.

I think you should be nervous. If Lithium Ion cells gets completely depleted, the chemistry in the cells deteriorate which can cause plate shorts. Hopefully they trickle charge the units.

I ordered some time ago and got a dealer allocation configured with all available options. Given VIN several months ago. Arrived and unloaded in port around late October which was the original promised delivery time. A few days later all port facility installed options were completed and status changed to "awaiting product manager's release". It would then take two or three days at the most to ship to the Boston area.

Promised mid October delivery, then late October, then early November, then mid November followed by early December. All the time, the car is sitting at the port facility. Recently Volvo NA contacted me to say they "hoped" the car would be available "in December" and offered a choice of freebies, either Apple CarPlay or an extension to the 6 month Volvo On-Call service. When I asked if the car could be registered this year, the person said "oh, no that can not happen". One might be excused for thinking they continue to tell things that seems not to be true.

Maybe they are learning as they go along and not very fast. Just hope there is nothing being hidden from the US EPA.

#16 ·
I think they are looking for enough extensions cords to charge them before use. :)
Sorry just had to.

#17 ·
Oh another one;

The port just found out "Batteries Not Included". :)

Done now.

#20 ·
Yeah, I read you, reeg2! Only problem is the options are pretty much all there and I don't think CarPlay is of interest as I use mostly android devices. It has been a difficult set of conversations with them as the tone has developed a significant economy of trust on my part. They had T8 cars in the US back in April of this year for use by motor journalists. Why then the delay?

#22 ·
... I don't think CarPlay is of interest as I use mostly android devices.
I have to agree - I've kicked Apple to the curb <sic> and only have Android based devices - maybe free Android Auto upgrade when that comes out?!

They had T8 cars in the US back in April of this year for use by motor journalists. Why then the delay?
Pre-availability vehicles, not for sale, likely with manufacturer or other special plates.

#23 ·
KJAX,

Wow - You had to have some special deal on the T8 for it to arrive in the US in October. I ordered the first week they were available to order in US (April 2015) and mine is due to arrive at CA port in 5 days. My date got pushed back many times (Sept, Oct, Nov etc...but that was all at the pre-production stage).

Most other people I have talked to on this forum who ordered during the first 2 weeks, are having them arrive at port in early December.

Yours was a full 2 months earlier than that...what a shame they could not release it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.