SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to see if anyone else is having this problem with their USASpec (USA Spec ?) adapter. When I initially received the unit, I noticed that the power wire's insulation was frayed through at the little black control box mounted behind the HU 850. I threw on a little elec. tape and went ahead with the install. Upon finishing up and testing 'er out, I realize we've got a little alternator noise.:facepalm:

Long story short, after changing the ground location and even resoldering all of the connections to the circuit board in the little black box, the feedback remains fairly strong. The only clue I have is that the noise will change if I give a little love tap (punch):mad: to the side of the radio stack, so I'm thinking it's located there. Has anyone had this problem or was your installation dead nuts the first time? If you have had this issue and solved it, how? If you have seen this answered elsewhere, my apologies, I searched and could not find.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Where did you ground it? I just grounded to the same ground the stereo uses and there's almost no feedback. :)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'm having the same issue with mine. It was originally grounded to the ground from the 12v power supply at the cigarette lighter. This past weekend I found a spot where I could ground it to the frame which was a frame bolt on the passenger side near the foot supply air outlet (remove lower plastic trim - EASY) and you'll see what I'm talking about. This ground helped a lot but it certainly isn't perfect. I hate having to settle for less instead of no ground noise but at this point I think I'm done messing with it until I get an IMIV.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same problem here. I gave up. I don't use it any more.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Feedback? Mine was a hand-me-up from my son (he had it in his car before giving to me). Neither of us have had issues with it from day one that I know of. Mine does make some weird noises every once in a while but I've found that goes away if I just "exercise" my gen 3 iPod (move all the controls a bit) but it's not "feedback". I'd classify mine as more of a faint squeak?
I played guitar for an alternative band and know feedback VERY well :D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
If your talking about the black cable from the HU to the usa spec box as being fryed, get a new cable to test to see if it is that cable move it as your playing something and see if the problem changes. This was my issue got a new cable problemed solved.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! MountainR: that's where mine has been the entire time and it seems like a good place to ground to; no paint, and something else large is already grounded there. I think I may try Jexx's suggestion about going to the HU ground. The system seems to be high quality to me, except for the little black box with the circuit board and the way that it's spliced into the power line. Psy: I'm thinking you mean the cable to the 10 CD in and that is a possibility. I just think it must be directly ground related as it's definitely feedback from the charging system...as evidenced by the increase in volume and pitch with higher engine RPM and even with electrical load(Advanced Chassis setting). It's pretty bad when you have to be in too high of a gear and riding on soft suspension to hear your Mr. Rogers biography books on tape.:mad:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! MountainR: that's where mine has been the entire time and it seems like a good place to ground to; no paint, and something else large is already grounded there. I think I may try Jexx's suggestion about going to the HU ground. The system seems to be high quality to me, except for the little black box with the circuit board and the way that it's spliced into the power line. Psy: I'm thinking you mean the cable to the 10 CD in and that is a possibility. I just think it must be directly ground related as it's definitely feedback from the charging system...as evidenced by the increase in volume and pitch with higher engine RPM and even with electrical load(Advanced Chassis setting). It's pretty bad when you have to be in too high of a gear and riding on soft suspension to hear your Mr. Rogers biography books on tape.:mad:
If you find a solution, please take a picture of the wire you attach it to so I can copy your efforts!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
External wiring IS required... Power & Ground. No noise when the engine is off.

I'm going to check the dip switch positions anyway, because they're not set up how I want it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts