SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any idea why East Coast dealerships (NY/NJ/MA) are carrying 30+ XC40's on their lot and almost every dealer in California only have 5 or less? I don't think the car is selling more here in CA, because I still hardly see any on the road, so I'm assuming the allocation isn't being distributed evenly?

I've already accepted the fact that there won't be any discounts because dealers are saying how "hot" this car is, but it's so hard to find the right vehicle in California because there are only so many cars to choose from! If I do an inventory search in the NYC metro area, there are at least 10 cars that I'd be willing to take with the right packages/options/colors.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I drove 2,800 miles on the east coast the last couple of weeks and only saw one other XC40.

I know when the XC40 first arrived it was a hot seller, but there were only about 12,000 sales in the first 12 months. The BMW X1 had about 30,000 sales in the past 12 months. The dealer near me has 44 XC40s between their two locations. They aren’t advertising any money off MSRP, just the $1,000 loyalty. They also have 45 S60s and are discounting those around $4-5,000 with the loyalty.

Now that XC60s have large discounts, the price of a 60 is getting closer to the 40. We love our XC40, but at some point, the people who will pay MSRP all will have one. Deals will have to be made in order to move them off the dealer lots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drove 2,800 miles on the east coast the last couple of weeks and only saw one other XC40.

I know when the XC40 first arrived it was a hot seller, but there were only about 12,000 sales in the first 12 months. The BMW X1 had about 30,000 sales in the past 12 months. The dealer near me has 44 XC40s between their two locations. They aren’t advertising any money off MSRP, just the $1,000 loyalty. They also have 45 S60s and are discounting those around $4-5,000 with the loyalty.

Now that XC60s have large discounts, the price of a 60 is getting closer to the 40. We love our XC40, but at some point, the people who will pay MSRP all will have one. Deals will have to be made in order to move them off the dealer lots.
In the northwest and I've seen only a handful on the road in the past 6 mo. I did see several when I was in DC a few months back. I honestly expected there to be way more on the road at this point.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My last car was a newly introduced model and it took me years to start seeing any others. Anyway, I never bought my Saabs for anyone but myself, and my future XC40 for the same reason. Those dealers with 40+ cars, are they in the lot or just future orders? Some of the cars are just with stock pictures which makes me think they are not on the lot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the initial hot/hype has a died down and there are a lot more competition on both the low and high end of the market - Mazda, Lexus, Audi, etc.

I see a lot more NEW (2018/2019) XC 60, XC 90, V60 and S60 here in the NYC Tri-state area than I do XC40s. When we got our XC40 last June via dealer inventory, there were 2 families behind us willing to take the same car if we did not sign (fully loaded Inscription ~$47K)

But now our dealer, Volvo Manhattan has 22 XC40s in their inventory. About double when we walked in last year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the initial hot/hype has a died down and there are a lot more competition on both the low and high end of the market - Mazda, Lexus, Audi, etc.

I see a lot more NEW (2018/2019) XC 60, XC 90, V60 and S60 here in the NYC Tri-state area than I do XC40s. When we got our XC40 last June via dealer inventory, there were 2 families behind us willing to take the same car if we did not sign (fully loaded Inscription ~$47K)

But now our dealer, Volvo Manhattan has 22 XC40s in their inventory. About double when we walked in last year.
22 in inventory?!? I can barely find a lot with more than 4! With all that inventory on the East Coast, does anybody think dealers are finally going to start to negotiate MSRP, or perhaps have incentives? Dealers here around San Francisco keep saying how the car is so hot they don't stay on the lot very long. Of course the cars don't stay on the lot very long since there was only 2 to begin with... :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yea 22. And that is on the low to mid. Some northern New Jersey dealers are way north of 30!
Prestige dealerships has 68 across both locations. 45 and 23 respectively.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My last car was a newly introduced model and it took me years to start seeing any others. Anyway, I never bought my Saabs for anyone but myself, and my future XC40 for the same reason. Those dealers with 40+ cars, are they in the lot or just future orders? Some of the cars are just with stock pictures which makes me think they are not on the lot.
Some of the 40 are on the lot and some are in transit.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Does anybody have any idea why East Coast dealerships (NY/NJ/MA) are carrying 30+ XC40's on their lot and almost every dealer in California only have 5 or less? I don't think the car is selling more here in CA, because I still hardly see any on the road, so I'm assuming the allocation isn't being distributed evenly?

I've already accepted the fact that there won't be any discounts because dealers are saying how "hot" this car is, but it's so hard to find the right vehicle in California because there are only so many cars to choose from! If I do an inventory search in the NYC metro area, there are at least 10 cars that I'd be willing to take with the right packages/options/colors.
If you have to pay MSRP you'd be better off doing OSD for the free Swedish experience IMO

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don’t believe I’ve ever heard a dealership say a car was not “hot”.

It’s not like they’re going to advertise to the world when it flips from being hot to not hot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t believe I’ve ever heard a dealership say a car was not “hot”.

It’s not like they’re going to advertise to the world when it flips from being hot to not hot.
When there's 60 Honda Civic's on the lot, the dealer doesn't usually emphasize how hot the car is and how the dealer can't budge from MSRP because everybody wants one. Dealers around me are saying that the popular packaged XC40's are already spoken for and there's a wait list for the inventory in transit.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Picked up my XC40 RD from Prestige Volvo this weekend.

It's at the installers getting the front end covered in Xpel. Can't wait to get it back so I can drive it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the problem with the east coast, specifically NY Tri-State area, is the failure of Care by Volvo being rejected. So a lot of these inventory are probably cancelled contracts.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I think the problem with the east coast, specifically NY Tri-State area, is the failure of Care by Volvo being rejected. So a lot of these inventory are probably cancelled contracts.
Interesting....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally acquired my XC40 after an exhaustive dealership throughout the Bay Area. Got everything I wanted except the HK which I'm okay with. Decent discount (hopefully) on excess wear so I'm happy with the deal I got.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts