SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent posting suggesting a wide disparity in the cost of purchasing a Volvo in the US versus Canada prompted me to do a comparison. I used the "Build a Volvo" information from the respective websites and was shocked at the difference!!<p>While there will be some difference in the two vehicles, I tried to equip them comparably. The US model I priced came out at $51, 902 while the CAN model priced out at $76, 760. Allowing for a currency difference of 13%, the US price translates to $58, 649 CAN. <p>I was seriously considering buying a new V8 to replace my 2004 2.5T but will NOT provide a car company with a windfall profit of this amount!!<p>Can anyone explain and/or rationalize the difference?<p>

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: US vs CAN MY2007 V-8 pricing (mj_smith)

Taxes? Are Canadian taxes included in the price? US taxes are not included in the Volvo info because the taxes vary by state. Taxes are the reason that the same car in Europe can cost up to 25% more than in the US.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Re: US vs CAN MY2007 V-8 pricing (mj_smith)

This is nothing new. <br>In 1998 when US$ was worth 1.6 CD$ the situation was reversed.<p>No dealer can knowingly sell a new car if it will go across the border. but there are lots of people that get around it.<p>I personally do not know of any but they can refuse to honor the warranty <p>in 1998 the big 3 did carry out some sanctions in the detroit/windsor area

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: US vs CAN MY2007 V-8 pricing (obiwan)

I too can remember when the situation was reversed. I can understand that manufacturers cannot be adjusting prices in response to every fluctuation in a countries' cunrrency but...<p>As for taxes, the Canadian price includes import duties of about 6% but I'd expect some sort of US import duty is also included in the US msrp.<p>In addition to the msrp,we pay a Goods and Services tax of 7% as well as a provincial sales tax which varies from 0% in Alberta to 7% insome other provinces.<br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts