SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to bring my cherished 2006 V70R back to the UK with me from Canada: anyone aware if the headlights will meet code in the UK? Any other issues I need to be aware of?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
They will point directly into oncoming traffic since they drive on the wrong side of the road.

·
Registered
713 Posts
They will not meet code, you would get dinged going through MOT. Blinding oncoming traffic is only part of the issue.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
You will need RHD EuroSpec headlights to meet code just for the lights, but as Matteo has mentioned, your NA spec car is a LHD car which means your driver seat, dash, and steering wheel is on the left hand side. You'll need to look into UK Import rules and whether this kind of car is allowed for import and what it will need to be legal to drive on UK roads.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Based on the research I did prior to OSD this year, it is legal to drive a LHD/NA-spec vehicle in the UK. However, you may not be able to "import" and "register" the vehicle there as DevolvR notes. You should be able to find most of the information on gov.uk websites.

We didn't get to cross the channel during the trip -- spent too much time in Copenhagen and Amsterdam. I got the impression I could adjust the aim of my headlights with stick-on products for sale along the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Plenty of LHD vehicles over here, just swap the lights out for UK spec ones and prepare to get violated by your local Volvo main dealer on a regular basis. As already mentioned, have a look on the motoring section of direct.gov.uk for more info, and ask away if I can help with anything.

Where are you moving to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
:facepalm: We drive on the correct side of the road, it's you guys that drive on the wrong side! :facepalm:

Headlights in the UK should dip to the left, so you'll probably need new headlights [for the beam pattern] plus left dipping bulbs. We also have amber indicators [turn signal], which might be achieved with amber colour coated bulbs? [Note the correct spelling of 'colour' too!]

As Jezza says, plenty of RHD cars here, usually just need a few mods to make them comply.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I want to bring my cherished 2006 V70R back to the UK with me from Canada: anyone aware if the headlights will meet code in the UK? Any other issues I need to be aware of?
Lots of 'classic' American cars (Mustangs, etc.) in the UK, and they seem relaxed about some of the standards for LHD cars - just pretend you are touring from the EU!

However, they quite like their Volvo 'estates' in England - another alternative would be to import your personal VR, buy a nice RHD VR there (or perhaps a new V60 AWD with Polestar and R-package!), swap over any nice upgrades, then sell your RHD VR on the continent.

P.S.: You just have to get used to premium at a pound and a half or so per litre!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We also have amber indicators [turn signal], which might be achieved with amber colour coated bulbs?
??? So do we!

I also think you're outnumbered in terms of your crusade to convince people to drive on the left :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts