SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.
I am going to pick my car up at the retailer on thursday. What do I do about registration in the US? The car will have insurance on it starting the day I pick it up but do I go over to the DMV with all of my European info plus Customs forms to get it registered?

The dealer I am picking the car up at is in Maine but I need to register the car in NY...this is the dilemma.
Thanks for any help you can give
--Will

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: US registration? (Big Will)

You should probably give your dealer a call.

We should pick up our car in a week or two. My contact said that they would take care of the temporary tags and title application work. I suspect it is easier when everything happens in one state, but I wouldn't be surprised if you dealer has delivered cars for NY registration before -- after all the east coast states are so small and close together!

BTW our car was "discharged" at the CA port yesterday!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exciting for ya! I have called my dealer and he does not give any type of temporary registration since the car is to be registered in NY. Hence, my dilemma. I'm sure it'll work out. Is it legal to drive around for a few days with the European plates?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: (Big Will)

When you buy a car (new or used) do you normally get plates the same day? In California it takes a month or two for the CA plates to show up in the mail. In the meantime we have a slip of paper taped in the corner of the windshield. I'm expecting to be driving around with the slip of paper and the Swedish tourist plates.
(My car was on the same ship as jackf's.)

For the final word, I'd check with the DMV in New York.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Re: US registration? (Big Will)

BigWill....

Each state is a little different in how they handle out of state titling and license matters.
First of all, you should have a bill of sale and a mileage statement from Volvo Car Corp in Sweden. You received these when you picked the car up at FDC.
Second, you should have the MSO. This is a legal document that looks like a title. It is legal proof that the car is yours.
My suggestion is to leave the red Euro tags on the car for now...and go to a NY DMV office with the above documents, as well as your ins info. Be prepared to pay your NY taxes and lic/title fees. They should issue you a metal NY tag at that time.
You may be able to take those documents to the DMV prior to picking up the vehicle. They may issue the tag and you can take itwith you to pick up the vehicle in Maine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: US registration? (universityvolvoOSD)

My credit union is handling all the paperwork for me. I expect to have the dealer put a paper/temporary tag in the window just as if I had bought the car off the lot. The temporary tag is usually good for 20 days. That way I can drive while waiting for the permanent tags. I do plan on leaving the Swedish plates on as long as I can.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks so much you guys for the responses. I'm excited to pick up the car tomorrow...it's gonna be a long train/bus ride up to Maine and then a long drive back at night but I've got a dog that can't be alone for too long so I have to do it in one day!

It's insured and I will go to the DMV ASAP. They said it should be ok to drive around with the Swedish plates for a few days (which I like ;-) )
All the best to everyone.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Re: (vizsladriver)

Quote, originally posted by vizsladriver »
When you buy a car (new or used) do you normally get plates the same day? In California it takes a month or two for the CA plates to show up in the mail. In the meantime we have a slip of paper taped in the corner of the windshield. I'm expecting to be driving around with the slip of paper and the Swedish tourist plates.
(My car was on the same ship as jackf's.)

For the final word, I'd check with the DMV in New York.

You want to hear something freaky? We bought our car through William Marks/ Volvo of Fairfield in Northern CA. We live in Southern CA, so Santa Monica Volvo did a courtesy delivery. The day before our car was due to arrive at the dealer I went to the DMV, gave them the VIN and they had no evidence the car existed (in their computer system). Therefore I could not a get the temp slip to put on my window. The next day, the car arrived at the dealer the exact day the people in Goteborg said it would 6 weeks prior. We pick up the car, drive home and what's in our mailbox? Our new plates and registration! Somebody at Volvo of Fairfield apparently registered the car for us. To this day, I still don't understand why the DMV could not find the car's registration info after they had issued plates for it. Whatever.

So I can only hope your OSD representative will take care of the registration for you- if they have not done so already. If they haven't then drive your Volvo around with the Swedish plates for a little bit- it's the only chance you'll get to do it. It's a badge of honor so drive it with pride.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Re: (not2blu)

Quote, originally posted by not2blu »
You want to hear something freaky? We bought our car through William Marks/ Volvo of Fairfield in Northern CA. ... We pick up the car, drive home and what's in our mailbox? Our new plates and registration! Somebody at Volvo of Fairfield apparently registered the car for us.

We also bought our S60 from William and got the plates long before the car made it into the US. Whatever they did, it was fantastic!
William, thanks again for everything! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Re: (ig_mb)

Quote, originally posted by ig_mb »

We also bought our S60 from William and got the plates long before the car made it into the US. Whatever they did, it was fantastic!
William, thanks again for everything! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

Thank you both for the kind words.

I am at Lawrence Volvo now where there is even more support, experience and expertise with the Overseas Delivery Program.

William

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stories!

Ok I had a long trip by several trains and a bus and then a cab to my dealership in Maine (I am in New York for the summer) and picked up the car. Charlie had the temporary sticker on it but I drove the 325 miles home last night with my Swedish plates... red plates on a red car and I got a lot of quizzical looks on the road!
I think I would've started speaking Swedish if I had been pulled over.
All the best to you guys.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Re: (Big Will)

Quote, originally posted by Big Will »
Good stories!
Ok I had a long trip by several trains and a bus and then a cab to my dealership in Maine (I am in New York for the summer) and picked up the car. Charlie had the temporary sticker on it but I drove the 325 miles home last night with my Swedish plates... red plates on a red car and I got a lot of quizzical looks on the road!
I think I would've started speaking Swedish if I had been pulled over.
All the best to you guys.
We got plenty of quizzical looks at the Porsche factory in Stuttgart, but I'm sure it was the beautiful Volvo they were looking at, instead of the red plates

1 - 12 of 12 Posts