SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 877 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Regarding the wiring thing... not aware of wiring specifics, if that is not standards, then I wouldn't assume i did not get wiring.... my only use for the hitch is for carrying bicycles, so I don't need wiring.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I often see people talking in terms of discounts from MSRP, but this not how I negotiated or how my dealer presented any deals to me. I told him everything I wanted, including those accessories and asked for the best price he could do for the whole package. As a consumer, it doesn't really matter to me where these items are installed, who is paying for them, or if they are paid for at a later time. This gave me an easy simple point of reference when negotiating with 10 different dealers. I think it also bypasses the mental pricing gimmick of discounting MSRP and then having to pay full price on some of the expensive add-ons.
When you started negotiate, didn't you have a # in your mind you wanted to push the dealer to agree with? For me, I see this number is the discount off MSRP. Even with add-ons like load bars and hitch, then the reference is the difference between the total price of these two(MSRP + whatever cost of these) and the price you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Regarding the wiring thing... not aware of wiring specifics, if that is not standards, then I wouldn't assume i did not get wiring.... my only use for the hitch is for carrying bicycles, so I don't need wiring.
I didn't realize until they gave me different quotes. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you say so. IMHO I don't care about MSRP or Invoice... just made up prices anyway (plus they change). I am aware that everybody's frame of reference and needs are not going to be the same as mine.
Side note: if somebody said "$500 over invoice" I would still need to lookup a number to determine price paid.
Yes, but posting $500 over invoice allows anyone else to quickly figure out what they should aim for on the specific car they are looking at. Regardless of how the data is posted, this thread can help a lot of people get a better deal.
Also, at a dealership invoice is usually the best way to negotiate the price of a car, as many car dealers are experts at playing the "numbers game" and will try to confuse you by throwing all kinds of numbers out and you end up paying more. The simpler you keep things the better you are in a negotiation situation. Once you start negotiating "discounts" on aftermarket installed parts, warranties etc on the same transactions things start to get confusing very quickly and the dealer will use that to their advantage.
My advice from many years of experience would be to negotiate the price of the car first. Then negotiate the price of add ons separately.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Wanted to start a discussion on prices paid on 2016 XC90s. Please list equipment or MSRP. Also, if anyone has Lease prices paid: Cap Cost, MF, Residual.

Thanks Everyone.
I spent 2 hours with a dealer on SUN. Just soft negotiating he said he would do 1.5% over invoice plus dealer fee of 600.00. this is apron 3000off the T6 Inscription at MSRP of 66k and close to 4k off MSRP on t8 inscription with MSRP of 82k.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I spent 2 hours with a dealer on SUN. Just soft negotiating he said he would do 1.5% over invoice plus dealer fee of 600.00. this is apron 3000off the T6 Inscription at MSRP of 66k and close to 4k off MSRP on t8 inscription with MSRP of 82k.
Was the T6 one on the lot, or one that was coming in that you were going to modify..if it was one for modification, it had to be a 2017?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Was the T6 one on the lot, or one that was coming in that you were going to modify..if it was one for modification, it had to be a 2017?
It was a special order unit. 2017. Im assuming a unit on the lot the price would be slightly better.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Wow, That's by far the best I've seen on a T8. They confirmed they'd make that deal on a special-order T8? Where is this dealer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Talking about lease numbers: I noticed that right now, you are getting a better deal on the R-design compared to the Inscription.

I loaded them both up and while the Inscription is only about $1,800 more MSRP-wise, it costs about $80/month more on a 39-month lease.

·
Registered
50 Posts
According to cars.com:

T6 Momentum, Contour Seats, Convenience, Climate, Vision, Booster, Car Play
Dealer Invoice $54,011
Sticker: $57,395
Price Paid: $54,895 (including all dealer fees)
12k Lease for 36-months with 57% residual and .0012 lease factor.

·
Registered
380 Posts
"Volvo enthusiasts", I have to admit that this thread kind of irks me.

I have been a Master Certified Volvo Sales Professional for 9 years and have worked my butt off to ensure that my clients have the best possible OWNERSHIP experience for the entirety of that ownership. In those 9 years have, Volvo has had some excellent vehicles, but never have they had a vehicle that holds its own (and then some) compared to the competition as well as the XC90 does. I bet 75%+ of every new Volvo I've sold in the last 9 years has been sold from near invoice price less all incentives. I love my job and truly have a passion for the brand and helping my clients make the best decision for their families. I also take pride in the delivery process, which often is followed up with a 2nd, or 3rd tutorial and however many more it may take for the client to be confident and sure of all of the techy gadgets that (especially the new XC90) these cars have.

To everyone that purchased their $50k-80k vehicle at invoice, you should congratulate your salesman on his $150-$250 minimum commission... on a $50k+ vehicle that is in high demand...that (likely) required multiple test drives, visits, emails, and a 2 hour delivery...and not to mention his/her future help when you have challenges or questions.

And to the ones that call every dealership in a 700 mile radius just to undercut your local guy that will take care of you with a smile when you need help, that's not the coolest thing to do.

On MANY occasions (in threads here) I have heard a LOT of chatter from people about how their dealer experience wasn't great, or just downright poor from a sales or service standpoint...well, case and point, you get what you pay for and that includes service. The XC90 is not a cheap vehicle by any means, bit it is a tremendous value in its segment without a doubt.

I'm not here to hate or troll on anyone, but guys, come on... these cars are between $50k-$85k even at MSRP these XC90s are very fairly priced (and no, I know they won't all sell at MSRP forever) but dealers should be allowed to make a fair small profit when deserved.

Sorry to thread-jack...rant over!

:)

·
Registered
32 Posts

I have been a Master Certified Volvo Sales Professional for 9 years and have worked my butt off to ensure that my clients have the best possible OWNERSHIP experience for the entirety of that ownership. In those 9 years have, Volvo has had some excellent vehicles, but never have they had a vehicle that holds its own (and then some) compared to the competition as well as the XC90 does. I bet 75%+ of every new Volvo I've sold in the last 9 years has been sold from near invoice price less all incentives. I love my job and truly have a passion for the brand and helping my clients make the best decision for their families. I also take pride in the delivery process, which often is followed up with a 2nd, or 3rd tutorial and however many more it may take for the client to be confident and sure of all of the techy gadgets that (especially the new XC90) these cars have.

To everyone that purchased their $50k-80k vehicle at invoice, you should congratulate your salesman on his $150-$250 minimum commission... on a $50k+ vehicle that is in high demand...that (likely) required multiple test drives, visits, emails, and a 2 hour delivery...and not to mention his/her future help when you have challenges or questions.

And to the ones that call every dealership in a 700 mile radius just to undercut your local guy that will take care of you with a smile when you need help, that's not the coolest thing to do.

On MANY occasions (in threads here) I have heard a LOT of chatter from people about how their dealer experience wasn't great, or just downright poor from a sales or service standpoint...well, case and point, you get what you pay for and that includes service. The XC90 is not a cheap vehicle by any means, bit it is a tremendous value in its segment without a doubt.

I'm not here to hate or troll on anyone, but guys, come on... these cars are between $50k-$85k even at MSRP these XC90s are very fairly priced (and no, I know they won't all sell at MSRP forever) but dealers should be allowed to make a fair small profit when deserved.

I agree the guys on the ground should get a bigger cut but that is more of a dealer to employee issue rather than a salesman to customer. Customers have the right to look for the best deal no matter how far it is, especially since it's all a game of supply and demand.

Is tipping allowed for a salesman? Like when I do donations, I prefer to target specific causes and know where my money is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts

This thread is about helping people figure out what a reasonable price to pay for this vehicle is. Dealers are free to give a good deal on the vehicle or not, your business model may be to not discount and spend three hours teaching customers how to use the car; other dealers may want to sell at a higher volume and lower price with less hand holding. I personally, and the others on this thread are looking at the latter, I don't need to take multiple test drives or send multiple emails etc to my dealer...my deal was made with a test drive and a 5 minute conversation. When I take delivery I do not need someone to sit with me for 2 hours and show me every feature in the car, I can figure this out by myself.
Obviously the dealers are making money on the cars they sell, they would not sell them at a loss. Even at invoice there are holdbacks, and volume rebates from the manufacturer that allow dealers to sell at invoice while still making significant profits.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I completely understand and agree that not everyone needs 3 test drives or a 3 hour delivery, but everyone deserves that right. I realize that there's really no way for me to not come off as whiney!

You aren't just buying a car, if your dealer and salesperson are worth a darn, you are entering a professional relationship. I know there's really no way for that last sentence to not sound odd or snooty, but I'm sure that the people on this forum that HAVE HAD this type of experience would agree with me. Every one of my clients has my personal cell phone number and typically I am the one they call when they have a question or a problem, not my service department. It's not like going to WalMart and buying a sleeve of golf balls :)

The 2016 definition of luxury isn't bling and flash, it's being taken care of.
Trust me, I'm the first guy to tell you that I want to make sure I'm getting a great deal on anything I purchase and I'm sure a few people that know me well would even go as far to call me cheap, but a fair profit is what makes the world go around and what allows people to be taken care of.

Let's be real, what other actual day to day profession has this type of transparency?

·
Registered
380 Posts

This thread is about helping people figure out what a reasonable price to pay for this vehicle is. Dealers are free to give a good deal on the vehicle or not, your business model may be to not discount and spend three hours teaching customers how to use the car; other dealers may want to sell at a higher volume and lower price with less hand holding. I personally, and the others on this thread are looking at the latter, I don't need to take multiple test drives or send multiple emails etc to my dealer...my deal was made with a test drive and a 5 minute conversation. When I take delivery I do not need someone to sit with me for 2 hours and show me every feature in the car, I can figure this out by myself.
Obviously the dealers are making money on the cars they sell, they would not sell them at a loss. Even at invoice there are holdbacks, and volume rebates from the manufacturer that allow dealers to sell at invoice while still making significant profits.
REASONABLE is the key word here.

·
Registered
344 Posts

I understand sales is a hard job. The amount of time dedicated to each customer, dealing with problems and crap from both customers and people above and around ya for a commission.

However just a suggestion, and observation, I know the founder of bimmerfest is the internet sales manager at a dealership and his deals are usually invoice+500-incentives and when asked why he only works for $500 or less his response is due to the great deal on the table he gets alot of orders and has a good relationship with his customers. If a dealer here would do the same, one dealership or two could pretty much capture the New Gen Volvo market by storm

·
Registered
99 Posts
For the sales staff like wait staff I think they get the short end of the stick. Many , like myself have had bad experiences buying cars and some good experiences. I have a problem with the dealership franchise model as a whole. Dealerships should be company owned and dealership employees should work directly for the manufacturer. Then the price is the price minus any “sale” the manufacturer wants to provide.

Right now if the manufacturer wants to move a product they can do it a number of ways which aren’t always apparent to the buyer. There is market cash to the dealer, incentives for quantity to the dealer none of which need to be disclosed to the buyer. There is holdback and floorplanning which is understandable but if you are ordering a car and it sits on the lot 1 day the dealer is pocketing all of that.

Case in point, I have a coworker that bought a 2008 Subaru STI for $8,000 off MSRP. This was not advertised, was not listed on Edmunds, or KBB.com this was bonus cash to the dealer to move units during the great recession and they made too many units. This was also only offered to dealers that could sell x number of STI’s so bigger dealers were buying from smaller ones but you could only get the full discount if you knew about it because of internet forums. This was a great deal for him but a terrible deal for those that got one for “invoice” and thought they got a good deal.

If you pay an extra 5% or 10% for a shirt it’s no big deal, if you were to pay an extra 5% or 10% on a car or house then it’s a very big deal.

Then there are dealers that tack on ADM for hot models, I get it, the value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it. However, this hurts the manufacturer’s brand and people who see a $5,000 markup or $10,000 markup on a Ford GT350 or Hellcat will walk away and buy something else. Now if they were Ford or Dodge run stores that wouldn’t be a problem and you’d have a happy customer buying a hot product at MSRP.

·
Registered
173 Posts
REASONABLE is the key word here.
All of the prices that have been posted on here so far are reasonable. Volume luxury cars routinely sell for somewhere around invoice. The reason threads like this are necessary is that there is no transparency in car pricing. It is not like buying a television where I can google the model number or call a store and ask them for their price then make the decision where to buy. The system is confusing by design, where the manufacturer sets MSRP and Invoice numbers which mean very little and everyone has to negotiate their own price with the dealer. It is your own industry that created this system, profits from it and fight like hell to avoid changing it (ie. Tesla sales model).

21 - 40 of 877 Posts