SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has come up before, but I'm preparing to pick up my car from our dealer here in Honolulu, and they let me know that if I want them to update the map from the Europe map to the US map, that they can do that for a charge of around $200. I though I remembered someone at the FDC said that it would be updated for me when it got to the US. I called Volvo USA and they said it is up to the dealers whether to charge for that. I had really thought that would be a basic function of Volvo USA to make sure that it was updated to a US map, possibly at the receiving end in California where the Hawaii cars go before being shipped here. Volvo USA did email me a 30% off coupon to help defray the cost.

I suppose I will try to update it myself with a USB drive if I can find one, but I'm disappointed that this is not standard procedure to update it at no charge.

This is our 3rd OSD. So we obviously like the program

Chris, Honolulu
2015XC60, 2018X60, 2022XC90 Recharge Extended Range

· Registered
'23 T8 XC90 P* Plus/Dark (Denim/Charcoal)
64 Posts
Yet another reason that direct sale is the way of the future and dealers should be replaced by pure service centers.

· Premium Member
5,472 Posts
That's down right crappy of them. Honestly I didn't think the Google maps needed updated to US though.. I thought/assumed they were more universal. I'm swamped today so won't be able to talk with service when then get in. Will try and check Monday if no one else has an answer yet.

· Premium Member
5,472 Posts
My main person wasn't here today, but the one gal down there thought it should be automatic on the Google cars. I'd go ahead and take it without the "upgrade" and see if it works.. if it doesn't maybe make a fuss and see.

· Registered
499 Posts
Our dealership didn't have to update anything for the Google OSD we did this year but did for the Sensus OSD we did in 2018.

Maybe the dealership is basing the cost on old OSD's that they have done in the past. Even with our Sensus OSD, the update was done prior to delivery with no mention of cost.

Reactions: DFrantz

· Registered
16 Posts
Anyone who's trying to charge you for updating the navigation system in a Google car is downright scamming you. The Android cars utilize real time maps based on the built in internet connection in the car, which, however, needs to be activated (along with Volvo on call) on your return to the US.

· Registered
44 Posts
Interesting because we bought our Volvo last summer though OSD using a Volvo dealer in the mid west . The car was delivered to California to a Volvo dealer . The dealer here did not touch the car at all ,he just gave us the key . The car was already updated to US map . I don't where ,maybe at FDC or when arrived at port .
You may want to wait until you get it .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts