SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone know if the 2019 XC60 T5 Momentum's sold in the US, Europe and Australia all have exactly the same tail lights?

I live in Australia and the local price for a replacement tail light appears to be approximately twice that (even after taking shipping into account) of buying one in the US or Europe.

I'm concerned that some of the lamp colours on the US / European XC60 tail lights might differ from the Australian imports.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know if the 2019 XC60 T5 Momentum's sold in the US, Europe and Australia all have exactly the same tail lights?

I live in Australia and the local price for a replacement tail light appears to be approximately twice that (even after taking shipping into account) of buying one in the US or Europe.

I'm concerned that some of the lamp colours on the US / European XC60 tail lights might differ from the Australian imports.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
They "appear" to be the same $248.20 USD
https://www.tascaparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=tail light

·
Registered
442 Posts
PM me if you need or want the US spec- red indicator instead of the amber.

I have a set that is taking up space in my garage boxed, unused, and still in the original packaging from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder why the euro car manufactures have this obsession with red rear flashers when as far as I know amber legal I all of North America?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it Euro car manufacturers? I thought it was US cars, and European ones decided to adapt.
I am quite sure Mustangs that I see here in Europe (imported from the US) have red rear flashers (which I find extremely confusing)

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 2003 BMW 330 had amber rear flashers but following years went red. Audi’s, M-Bs are all red as are Porsche’s and to my surprise, Volvo, the safety people are red. I owned a M-B for a year that had an unused set of amber LEDs in the rear cluster but was missing a wire to use them as indicators.

And yet some current US cars are amber.

I have a theory. US regulations maybe object to amber lights of any kind at the rear of a car being visible from the side and the EU allows this or even prefers this. So rather than redesign the light clusters they just use all red. Canada specifically permits EU standard lights so why doesn’t my Canadian spec XC60 have amber.
I would love to get a definitive answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok. Just a quick note to close out this thread.

Tail lights on XC60's sold in the US definitely differ from those sold in Australia.

All Australian sold XC60's have tail lights with orange coloured flashing turn indicators. It appears that US sold XC60's have tail lights with red coloured flashing turn indicators. Don't know if the red coloured indicators apply to all states in the US or if there are some exceptions.

From what I can see online, turn indicators throughout Europe consist of orange coloured flashing lights. Presumably all of the countries within the European Union are standardised on orange coloured flashing lights. As there are so many countries in Europe, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some that used red coloured flashing lights.

To avoid buying a replacement tail light with a different spec to the original, I eventually ended up buying the replacement via ebay from an Australian supplier.Interestingly, the supplier needed to know my vehicle's VIN number in order to ensure they supplied the correct tail light. Apparently there are some tail light variants even within the relatively small number of Australian imports.

I installed the replacement tail light myself; which was a much bigger job than you would expect. I had to pull out all of the trunk's floor and wall lining (on the replacement tail light side) as well as remove the rear bumper in order to get to the two bolts and the one nut fixing the tail light in place. Also, one of these fixing bolts is extremely difficult to get out because of an obstruction in front of it and the fixing nut can only really be successfully removed/replaced using a magnetic socket. I couldn't find any online or useful youtube instructions for replacing the tail light. It looks like the current model is still too new to be able to get this sort of information. Fortunately I found some info on installing some of Volvo's factory accessories which helped enormously with working out how to remove the interior trim and bumper.

If I get a bit of time will post a new thread with instructions on how to remove/replace the existing tail light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts