SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I went to schedule a meeting with an engineer on one of the projects I'm working on. Exiting the parkinglot from his office is a nightmare, you basically have to reverse out of there, into one of the town's most used roads. So I reversed, and the next thing I heard this aweful sound... the underside of the front bumper hitting the kerb. I was devistated - I rushed back to my office to inspect the damage. The underside of the bumper (the black moulding piece) was scraped - not so that you could see it, but enough that it's going to bug me forever!

So I drove to the Volvo dealership, gave the VIN no. and they ordered a new part. The I remembered that the T5 has this little 'lip spoiler' thingie. So I bend down to have a look at a S40 T5 (2004) and another S40 T5 (2006). I then noticed that on the old car, the lip thingie, was actually a rubber piece that was screwed of pop-rivetted (spelling) to this black moulding piece, but on the newer car, the 'lip' was actually part of this black piece. So I took the later model S40 T5's VIN no., gave it to the spares guy, and guess what - it's cheaper than the V50's one without the lip.

Now my question is, this black moulding piece, do they differ from S40 to V50 - I tried to look as best as I could, and it looked exactly the same to me. Even asked the mechanic, and he said he cannot think that they would differ. So, are they the same? Obviously the part no.'s were different - but the fixing of the 2 units should be the same?!?!?!?

Please help... the new part will be here tomorrow morning...

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Re: Urgggg.... (ciden)

On the non-dynamic trim model at least, there are two pieces down there, one is the front spoiler which is what you see at the lower edge of the bumper. The second is a kind of baffle or cover which provides support to the lower edge of it, and is hidden.

I think this lower/inner part is what you crunched? There is also the engine splash pan, which clips to it at the rear of course.

If it's this part, then it's (I'm pretty sure) the same between S40 and V50, but it may not be to the same between 04-05 and 06. You're just going to have to look at them. Why not remove your existing part so you can check it at the parts counter before buying. Assuming they let you do that with a special ordered part!

Tom.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The damage is mearly deep scratches, nothing is broken, or cracked. See photo below for area concerened:

Modified by ciden at 3:32 PM 4-12-2006

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts

Damage in that area wouldn't bother me one bit, but if I could see it I might shoot it with black paint. That part is the spoiler, and is basically 2 pieces on the 04-05's. You'll have to compare it to the same part on an 06 to see.

Tom.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know there's an inner and outer piece. On the exploded view diagram that the parts guy showed me, the outer pieces on the V50 and S40 looked exactly the same - the inner piece remains. As far as I could see, the fixing points underneath (3 screws) and in the wheel arches (2 screws each side) looked identical. Suppose I'll just have to wait and see till tomorrow and bite the bullet if it's wrong - R1,000.00 ($153.85)

The damage will always bother me. On my MINI's, I changed the black trim around the wheelarches almost every 4 months, as they got damaged easily.

Modified by ciden at 4:15 PM 4-12-2006

·
Registered
564 Posts

But that's why they are black plastic as opposed to body coloured - I kinda like that stuff, it doesn't show the damage up.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: Urgggg.... (Marmoset)

As you have said I think the only difference is between the T5 models and regular models, not the V50/S40.

Unfortunately I am like you a small piece of damage will bug and annoy throughout the entire ownership if I don't get it repaired.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: Urgggg.... (Marmoset)

Quote, originally posted by Marmoset »
I'll know it's you then CM if I see a "not new" S40 covered in a smattering of new body parts

I could probably get into Max Power and Fast Car if I did

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's done!

I only received the front spoiler this morning - having to wait the whole long w/end. Ordered the 2006 T5 spec. front spoiler, installed it this evening with almost no hassle at all. Most difficult part was removing the old one.

Looks better that the old one, but that's my view of it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts