SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just replaced my alternator due to bad bearings. New alternator was a Bosch AL0820, which is described as 12V 140A.
Alternator I replaced has Volvo number 30667894 (Bosch 0124525060), and says it's 14V 140A.
Bosch website says the AL0820 is correct for the 2006 R, but also lists 2 other part numbers that are possible.

After replacing the alternator, I got a Urgent Power System Service Message. I drove to Advance Auto and had them to a charging system scan. All the numbers came back good, so I was stumped.

I decided to call Bosch, to make sure my old and new are equivalent. It seems their listings (and what they're telling auto parts stores and such) is incorrect and lists various possible alternators that are not correct for certain model years.

Here's the correct alternators for our vehicles:
03-04 AL0820
05-09 AL0854

So now I have to buy another alternator, and replace AGAIN! Pain in the ass to replace the alternator, only because of the space constraint for getting it in and out. You also lose some precious radiator fluid.

I hope people see this when needing to get an alternator. Hopefully I'll save someone else's time, because mine has been wasted.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Jojo, thanks for sharing the part numbers.
At least you didn't get stuck 600 miles away from home, had to fly home, fly back next week and pay almost 1000 usd to have it Dealer replaced....

I still think just the Regulator could be changed, anyone done that? Or is the brushes that are wearing out?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that, Jojo, thanks for sharing the part numbers.
At least you didn't get stuck 600 miles away from home, had to fly home, fly back next week and pay almost 1000 usd to have it Dealer replaced....

I still think just the Regulator could be changed, anyone done that? Or is the brushes that are wearing out?
Bearings were shot. Sounded awful, you couldn't hear anything over it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered the new one from FCPEuro.com. Not sure why FCPGroton doesn't have it but FCPEuro does? Confuses me, but it's ordered.

On another note, FCPEuro had their TAXREFUND promo code for 15% off and free shipping over $99. They charged me shipping. I have an email in to ask why. My day has sucked so far. Tomorrow I have to buy some volvo "rape me in the butt priced" coolant, since I had to disconnect the radiator hose to get the alternator out. Now I have to disconnect again.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
What's with this rash of alternator bearings failing? This is the fourth or fifth post. Speaking of...I've noticed some odd sounds from mine lately.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's with this rash of alternator bearings failing? This is the fourth or fifth post. Speaking of...I've noticed some odd sounds from mine lately.
Not sure, what I can say is this: If you hear bearing noise it's not your power steering pump, it's your alternator.

I thought it was my power steering for a year now. I was convinced. Then I saw one post of someone saying they thought the same thing and it ended up being his alternator. I decided to take the time to take off the serpentine and check. Sure enough, it was the alternator. That saved me time and money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts