SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

Does someone know where/whom has M66 gear box for sale?
I need one due to my friend's M66 gear box is broken. :(

Thanks

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Looks like you should get 2

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear All,

Thanks for your reply.
I will contact them via email ASAP, thanks a lot.

Mark

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Why not just replace the internals? It would probably be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear DrBrutal,

Thanks for your suggestion.
I am not sure if I can buy the final gear wheel for my friend? If yes, it will be a solution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Dear DrBrutal,

Thanks for your suggestion.
I am not sure if I can buy the final gear wheel for my friend? If yes, it will be a solution.

Thanks.
Check ebay, or other junkyard websites (like Erie Vovo)

After checking Vadis, it does not show gearbox internals. I'm not sure of where you could get them, besides used parts.

Edit: Checked Erie Vovo, looks like they have a few in stock. A bit pricey..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Why not just replace the internals? It would probably be a lot cheaper.
You've made it seem like this is such an easy process in earlier posts too. Where do you come up with this nonsense? Volvo makes all their manual gearbox components in house. Nothing is available in the aftermarket in terms of replacement gearbox components.

You have proven once again that you have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
You've made it seem like this is such an easy process in earlier posts too. Where do you come up with this nonsense? Volvo makes all their manual gearbox components in house. Nothing is available in the aftermarket in terms of replacement gearbox components.

+1

"JUST" replace the internals? Of a 6 speed transmission? When you can buy a used on for less than a grand? That's a joke.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Volvo does not offer replacement parts for any of its manual transmissions. That is the hard part about repairing the M56 and M66 transmissions.

That being said, there is nothing uniquely complicated about breaking down a Volvo manual gearbox. If you have the skills (ie, can remove said transmission from the car) to disassemble a manual transmission, you can easily replace worn parts. If you have a damaged trans, you can use (read: sell!) the remaining good gear packs, synchros, etc to to repair other transmissions.

This is a bit more common on the M56 as those transmissions have aged and suffered mileage-related wear. For example, Boxpin replaced the worn synchros in his M56 with good ones.

EDIT: If you know where to look, you can find a few M66s for sale far cheaper than Erie sells them for.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Volvo does not offer replacement parts for any of its manual transmissions. That is the hard part about repairing the M56 and M66 transmissions.

That being said, there is nothing uniquely complicated about breaking down a Volvo manual gearbox. If you have the skills (ie, can remove said transmission from the car) to disassemble a manual transmission, you can easily replace worn parts. If you have a damaged trans, you can use (read: sell!) the remaining good gear packs, synchros, etc to to repair other transmissions.

This is a bit more common on the M56 as those transmissions have aged and suffered mileage-related wear. For example, Boxpin replaced the worn synchros in his M56 with good ones.

EDIT: If you know where to look, you can find a few M66s for sale far cheaper than Erie sells them for.

Someone who understands.

I never said to look for aftermarket, nor did I say they -had- to be new. You can buy used parts if you get lucky, without replacing the entire transmission (if it were to save costs). I'm going by what we do with DSM's, which on a regular basis we rip apart multiple transmissions with some good and some bad parts, and make them into one working transmission. If you can get the parts, there's no reason why you can't just fix what's broken inside. So, please, explain to me why I don't know what I'm talking about?

If you only break third gear, you don't need to replace the ENTIRE transmission. Pull out the shaft, remove the broken cogs with a press, press on new cogs. It's really that simple. If you can't get the parts, then so be it, buy a new/used transmission.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
True...

Well he is a doctor

·
Registered
337 Posts
I never said to look for aftermarket, nor did I say they -had- to be new. You can buy used parts if you get lucky, without replacing the entire transmission (if it were to save costs). I'm going by what we do with DSM's, which on a regular basis we rip apart multiple transmissions with some good and some bad parts, and make them into one working transmission. If you can get the parts, there's no reason why you can't just fix what's broken inside. So, please, explain to me why I don't know what I'm talking about?

If you only break third gear, you don't need to replace the ENTIRE transmission. Pull out the shaft, remove the broken cogs with a press, press on new cogs. It's really that simple. If you can't get the parts, then so be it, buy a new/used transmission.
You can't just buy used parts. Nearly every JY only sells complete transmissions, unless someone decided to take apart a M66 gearbox and sell the guts. But why bother doing that when Volvo will give you $300 as a core for the busted gearbox?

You just make it seem to easy for someone in Taiwan to be able to disassemble his gearbox and simply replace components. Unless the OP wanted to do it himself, hardly any workshop is willing to disassemble a manual Volvo gearbox. Just because Andy points to a thread where someone with multiple 5-speed gearboxes and plenty of time on his hands (he gave himself 2 months to do it, it seems) decided to Frankenstein build a gearbox to use for himself, doesn't mean that the OP can do the same for his 6-speed gearbox.

Because procuring gearbox components is so difficult, especially in a small volume country like Taiwan, and the OP wasn't asking about disassembling his gearbox, your recommendation to "just replace the internals" shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Your "prior DSM experience" has no relevance to this subject, either,

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You can't just buy used parts. Nearly every JY only sells complete transmissions, unless someone decided to take apart a M66 gearbox and sell the guts. But why bother doing that when Volvo will give you $300 as a core for the busted gearbox?

You just make it seem to easy for someone in Taiwan to be able to disassemble his gearbox and simply replace components. Unless the OP wanted to do it himself, hardly any workshop is willing to disassemble a manual Volvo gearbox. Just because Andy points to a thread where someone with multiple 5-speed gearboxes and plenty of time on his hands (he gave himself 2 months to do it, it seems) decided to Frankenstein build a gearbox to use for himself, doesn't mean that the OP can do the same for his 6-speed gearbox.

Because procuring gearbox components is so difficult, especially in a small volume country like Taiwan, and the OP wasn't asking about disassembling his gearbox, your recommendation to "just replace the internals" shows you have no idea what you're talking about. Your "prior DSM experience" has no relevance to this subject, either,
Well, I had already made the post before it occurred to me he was in Taiwan, and also a volvo manual gearbox is really not that different from a mitsu gearbox. I've taken them apart before. It's too bad used/aftermarket parts aren't available, since that's the case, then just buy used. There's no reason to flame my comment just because of the non availability of used gearbox internals. He could've found out on his own, that there was no way to get any, and then done the next best option.. Which would be replacing the whole transmission.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LMAO....... You guys are funny, so damn argumentative... Holy smokes, That's why I'm half scared to post on SS :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
2005 R, Have you torn apart a M56 or M66? Have you torn apart a inlinve 5 cylinder engine that is common in 93+ fwd volvos?

DrBrutal, same question applies to you.

I just want to know who actually has done some work and actually got dirt under their finger nails and who is just regurgitating the internet

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
2005 R, Have you torn apart a M56 or M66? Have you torn apart a inlinve 5 cylinder engine that is common in 93+ fwd volvos?

I just want to know who actually has done some work and actually got dirt under their finger nails and who is just regurgitating the internet
oh snap!

·
Registered
337 Posts

Oh god, here we go with this "you don't know what you're talking about unless you do the work yourself" nonsense.

Since you think Volvospeed is so much better than Swedespeed because no one apparently works on their own cars here, why do you bother posting here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts