SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tags expired and I failed smog because I cut the useless baffles off my intake - can anyone let me borrow theirs for an hour or so and get it done? Or does anyone have any friends in the area? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sorry, NorCal. Good luck!!!

(What baffles are you talking about?)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
So, if I may ask, what did you gain by eliminating these and making your non-polluting Volvo a polluting one?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, if I may ask, what did you gain by eliminating these and making your non-polluting Volvo a polluting one?
What function does an empty, plastic box serve in purification of emissions? Considering it comes before the filter, before any combustion, and - here's the kicker - the T5 engine has no such assembly? It's a muffling mechanism, serving no "polluting" purpose.

·
Registered
453 Posts
serving no "polluting" purpose.
It's a "California doesn't allow you to modify your car" thing, right? Not a "I can't pass the smog test" thing in the typical sense? In a fully functioning car I don't think modifying your intake would ever effect the emissions. If your MAF sensor wasn't working properly or you had leaks somewhere then I could see the engine running too lean/rich causing emissions issues.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I passed my emissions test, which actually measures "pollution" my car puts out, with flying colors. So yeah, its a modifying issue...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Chrome, those "baffles" were only used on the 4.5' & 05'. In fact they are not even available (or shown in the parts book) from Volvo anymore. Everything has been superseded to the later straight through design. Why did they bust you? Do you have the holes covered with duct tape or something? In any case you can use the intake from virtually any year S40/50 2.4i. I could email you the parts page if that will help you with "the man". As I recall the new assembly is something like $30.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts