SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

I urgently need some advice before the next 12 hours and I would be eternally grateful to those who respond to this thread.

Bascially there are two cars that I potentially want to buy:

1) MY2003 Black C70 T5 GT Coupe, 38000 miles, Granite Interior. £10,000 / $17,500

2) MY2004 Flash Green S60R, 34000 miles, Atacama Interior, TV/SatNav/Phone. £14000 / $22500

The C70 T5 GT is marginally more affordable. I will basically pay about £100 / $175 less a month for it.

Which one do you think I should go for?

Please help. I am tearing my hair out trying to make a decision. Basically I think the C70 is better looking and more unique, but everytime I see its interior it makes it look too old and knackered. The S60R is fresh and the new kid on the block, but its a big saloon.

Thank you!!
(Yes this is a double post from the Community forum. Its THAT urgent!)

I have 12 hours to decide otherwise the finance company will withdraw the loan offer. Its now 22:00PM GMT+1.

Modified by Token at 2:02 PM 4-14-2006

· Registered
5,842 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

The R is probably going to cost a bit more in maintance as tires and brakes will be at the higher end. The C70 is more mid priced for those items.
The R has some very nice features going for it. Performance, brakes, comfort, suspension, uniqueness.
Good Luck

· Registered
21,310 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Well, you're posting in the R forum...what answer do you think you'll get?

The C70 is definitely the more dated car, especially when it comes to it's basic underpinnings as well.

The S60 is big, yes, but man does it drive nicely. I have a V70R and while it's not quite as nimble as the Mk5 Golf I drove in Europe, it's certainly no barge either. With the 4C suspension and associated upgrades, a stock R will run rings around a stock C70.

Not to mention the power.

And ok, let me get this straight....I know Flash Green is more common in Europe, but comparing that to a stock black C70? Which one stands out more!

The R's interior is hands down nicer too.

· Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! (Token)

The problem is that I've been asking my folks for advice, and basically they're saying that because I'm buying my first "real" car that I should take it steady and buy the C70 because its cheaper.

But I'm thinking that I would be the biggest idiot on the planet to lose an S60R for the sake of £4000 / $7000. I get 4C, Xenon, AWD, 300BHP, SatNav, TV, and Phone. Thats worth the extra £4000 / $7000 I'd say.

So I convinced myself I'd have the S60R. But then again people tell me that I'm trying to run before I can walk. And all this time the loan company are saying that I better make my mind up or else they'll withdraw the offer and my credit record will have a 'footprint' against it.

· Registered
4,470 Posts

if you buy the C70, you'll regret it, you'll get bored with peformance, and you'll want to mod it..then the money you *waste*modding the C70 is money you could have just spent to buy the R in the first place.

The two cars are night and day in terms of differences. I have an S60R and I have a 99 S70T5. The S70 is VERY similar to the C70 in terms of engine/suspension/etc....the S70 is fairly fast..and you could make a C70 quick in a straight line...but in terms of handling, fun to drive, etc etc...the R is light years ahead.

Get the R. the money isn't that much different. If you CAN afford the R, and not have to eat peanut butter eveyr day - get the R. you'll like it a lot more.

if you get the C70, it's not a bad car, just not as sporty.

· Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if you can decide everything for yourself with no need for other peoples' opinion, then I guess you never come on here looking for hints or tips, you must never read car reviews to decide which cars are good or bad?

If you lived like that you'd make some pretty awful decisions.

· Registered
8,754 Posts
Re: (Token)

Get the R. Much more fun to drive. That color combo is rare, always a conversation piece.

EVERYONE will notice the FlashGreen. Only about 75% will think you're gay. But its like wearing a pink shirt, as long as you know who you R, go for it.

I've known two people personally with Flash Green, one was a happily married family guy, and the other was a Lesbian, so I think that makes it manly.

· Registered
3,343 Posts
Re: (Token)

Token, I received similar responses when I asked for the forum's opinion on which wheels I should put on my car. I think you are doing the right thing soliciting opinions from others - it's a good sanity check, even if you don't follow the group concensus. That said, forget the C70 and go grab that R before it is gone!!! The C70 is a dull car in my opinion and the R is very much an exciting and rewarding car in every way. For everything that the R adds, the relatively small difference in purchase price makes the R an absolute bargain. Why are you still on your computer - GO BUY IT!!!

You mentioned that the R has "TV"... Are you referring to the nav screen in the dashboard?

· Registered
8,754 Posts
Re: (RainyS60R)

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »
You mentioned that the R has "TV"... Are you referring to the nav screen in the dashboard?

Euro only option. I was told even though I have Nav system that has been reprogrammed to think it is Eurospec, and a radio that has been re-programmed to euro spec, that the TV still won't work...

Not sure I believe that, almost worth ordering it, hooking it up and seeing what happens.

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
Okay, I'll say this for at least one other member...

How can we tell you which car you should buy?! Pick the one you like more and buy it.

-Eric

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! (JRL)

Get the R, have a headache. Buy the C70 and don;t
The C70 by 2003 has had mostly all of the problems fixed.
Yes, they are different cars, (I've had both) but drive both, read here a lot tonight and decide if you want the aggrevation of an R.
Look I love my wagon but It took me 2 years to get it right

· Registered
1,998 Posts

Ok, I'm going to offer a contrary opinion. If this is your first "real" car (not exactly sure what means--first newer/nice-ish car?) and you are still young enough to have to negotiate this with your parents, I would advise that you buy neither. Get a less fussy, more reliable--but still fun--car than either Volvo--e.g., you could probably get a NEW Civic Si for around the same money, or a lightly used Accord V6...you get the idea. Either will hold value better than the volvos (in my opinion) leaving you with more to thrown down on another car in a few years when your parents don't get to have any input!! Either way, good luck with your decision.

flame away, fellow R owners...

· Registered
21,310 Posts
Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! (kenschel)

Quote, originally posted by kenschel »
Ok, I'm going to offer a contrary opinion. If this is your first "real" car (not exactly sure what means--first newer/nice-ish car?) and you are still young enough to have to negotiate this with your parents, I would advise that you buy neither. Get a less fussy, more reliable--but still fun--car than either Volvo--e.g., you could probably get a NEW Civic Si for around the same money, or a lightly used Accord V6...you get the idea. Either will hold value better than the volvos (in my opinion) leaving you with more to thrown down on another car in a few years when your parents don't get to have any input!! Either way, good luck with your decision.

flame away, fellow R owners...

Sage advice.

Just don't get a used Nova and turn it into one of those Max Power cars!

· Registered
3,343 Posts
Re: URGENT ADVICE NEEDED! (needsdecaf)

Or, how about a Mercedes A-Class or Peugeot 406 3.0 Coupe? I believe the latter has a fairly good record. Those are two Europe-only rides that I wish I could get my hands on in the US - the Smart was on that list, too, but it's finally available stateside.

Best of luck - I still say ignore the nay-sayers and get the R. The R was my first truly "premium" new car and I love it. If I took everything my parents told me to heart, I'd be driving a featureless, trouble-free 50mpg Honda Civic - AND HATING EVERY MINUTE BEHIND THE WHEEL!!!

I can't believe you can watch TV on Euro R's through the Navi screen - that is slick.

- Tryg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.