SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen this combination? I have the opportunity to swap out my standard shimmer inlays with the urbane wood inlays. I had a black/wood combination in my outgoing vehicle that I liked a lot. The only S60's I've seen with wood have beige interiors.

Any thoughts or pictures of this combination? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
There is a lot of variation in the Urbane wood trim - the proportion of dark color to orange color varies greatly from one sample to another. For my personal taste, I think it looks fantastic in the S60 if the wood coloration is mostly dark black-brown with just thin orange stripes. However, I have seen a number of S60 interiors in which the orange coloration predominates; this looks a bit too "halloweenish" for my tastes.

FWIIW, Volvo calls this wood zebrano (= zebrawood in English), but zebrawood actually has a light yellow-brown background with large black-brown stripes. The Volvo wood actually looks more like cocobolo, which is an orange-brown color variant of Brazilian palisander rosewood. I work with tropical hardwoods extensively, so this issue is of some interest to me. I would order the Urbane wood trim if it were more consistently dark, but with the considerable degree of variation, it would be a crapshoot on a special-order vehicle.

I am not too crazy about the shimmer graphite inlay, either; it looks OK with the black interior but not so good with the various beige interiors. The Urbane wood looks better with any of the beige interiors, particularly the one with the espresso dashboard, provided it is mostly dark wood with little orange. However, with a lot of orange tone in the wood, it actually looks better with the black interior. Unfortunately, the buyer doesn't get to choose the particular piece of Urbane wood inlay he is getting unless he is buying a finished car off a dealer's lot. I doubt that many dealers would be willing to order in several samples and swap out the center console trim to the buyer's liking.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Volvobuff: Agreed. I already took delivery of my vehicle. This is just a "thank you" gift from the dealer. I changed my order at the last minute to the all black interior because I felt the Beechwood Brown was too orange in many of the photographs I had seen. I also thought the same about the urbane wood inlays. But after seeing a few samples in person I figured it would be worth a shot. I went from brushed aluminum to vavona wood in my VW and loved the black/brown contrast.

In the end I can always turn it down if it's too orange and inconsistent.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
@Volvobuff: Agreed. I already took delivery of my vehicle. This is just a "thank you" gift from the dealer.
Very accommodating of your dealer. I have a great dealer as well, but I suspect I would be pushing them too far to insist on replacement of the Urbane wood trim to my taste. So I am going to play it safe and order my S60 with black interior and shimmer graphite trim and just hold my nose when I see it...

I changed my order at the last minute to the all black interior because I felt the Beechwood Brown was too orange in many of the photographs I had seen.
Fully agree. I find the Beechwood interior garish in all of its combinations with black and beige. In any event, the black interior is IMNSH opinion the only way to go with Electric Silver. It is a classic and stunning color combo. You got yourself one beautiful car.

I also thought the same about the urbane wood inlays. But after seeing a few samples in person I figured it would be worth a shot. I went from brushed aluminum to vavona wood in my VW and loved the black/brown contrast. In the end I can always turn it down if it's too orange and inconsistent.
Sounds like a game plan. Let me know if you get a decent-looking piece of "zebrano". I guess that Volvo has to take whatever their wood supplier provides them. I wish they would provide a darker brown inlay for the S60 similar to the Classic wood in the V70 and S80. I have the Classic wood in my 2010 V70 and think that it is very handsome, especially with the Sandstone Beige interior.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help or not. But I have a P2 2007 S60 Black Sapph with Charcoal and wood interior. Personally I think it looks great! My friend has a newish G37 coupe in the same color and interior scheme and it looks great as well. Granted it looks like the new S60 has some aluminum/metal accents thrown in around wood but you get the general idea of the interior like that

here is mine:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the photos! Your interior looks great. The Urbane Wood color is a little lighter and more orangey but I still think that it adds a very nice contrast to the interior of the vehicle. I've decided to proceed and we'll see what pieces I end up with. I'll take photos once all is said and done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got the same question: Has anybody pictures of a current S60 with black interior and urbane wood?

I like black interiors, I like wood, but I'm very unsure if it looks good in the S60...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Very accommodating of your dealer. I have a great dealer as well, but I suspect I would be pushing them too far to insist on replacement of the Urbane wood trim to my taste. So I am going to play it safe and order my S60 with black interior and shimmer graphite trim and just hold my nose when I see it...
While everyone's tastes are different. . .the black interior with shimmer graphite trim looks GREAT! The shimmer graphite is really only on the flowing center console, the rest of the car is trimmed with polished aluminum and THAT REALLY looks good offset with the black interior.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
While everyone's tastes are different. . .the black interior with shimmer graphite trim looks GREAT! The shimmer graphite is really only on the flowing center console, the rest of the car is trimmed with polished aluminum and THAT REALLY looks good offset with the black interior.
Contrary to my post from last November, I ultimately decided I couldn't stomach the shimmer graphite trim, so I decided to roll the dice and ordered my S60 T5 with black leather interior and Urbane wood trim. I got really lucky: the wood trim delivered with my car last April turned out to be very dark brown, black, and very handsome, without even a hint of the Halloween orange tones I had seen in some other S60s. It occurred to me that maybe Ghent puts the more orangey wood trim in beechwood interiors and the darker wood trim in black interiors, but that is probably crediting the production plant with more esthetic sense than they actually possess. I suspect it is just the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have antracite interior and the Urbane wood. Let me grab a pic tomorrow and post it for ya.

Some people write about slight "swirling" in the finish, but I had to re-calibrate my eyeball to finally see it in mine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've got the same question: Has anybody pictures of a current S60 with black interior and urbane wood?

I like black interiors, I like wood, but I'm very unsure if it looks good in the S60...
The black comes across as a little lighter in color than the picture shows, so there's a bit more contrast between the wood and the seats when you see it in person.

console

door

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anybody seen this combination? I have the opportunity to swap out my standard shimmer inlays with the urbane wood inlays. I had a black/wood combination in my outgoing vehicle that I liked a lot. The only S60's I've seen with wood have beige interiors.

That's what I have in my T5 and I think it looks real good.
I would have liked a little splash across the length of the dash - like in my A4 Avant.
My personal belief is that there is too much plain black soft plastic dash in front of the passenger seat.
I think I posted pictures back in May when I first came on this board.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm thinking about the urbane wood inlays but my dealership doesn't have any, does anyone have soft beige with offblack interior and urbane wood trim, so I can see what its like before I buy?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The dealer can add the urbane wood inlays after the fact, right? I ordered a black sapphire metallic S60 with off-black leather and standard shimmer graphite inlays through Overseas Delivery. So if it's a $300 option when you "build" a car online, will the dealer charge extra for the installation?

·
Registered
418 Posts
From what I have seen online, the parts alone are more than $300. I am sure the dealer will also charge for the installation, just like they would for any other accessories.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Got the black leather and Urbane wood in my S60 T5 and same combination of dark wood and leather in my A4 Avant. Really like this combination a lot..
I feel there could be a bit more wood on the S60 - particularly above the glove box.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts