SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently placed an order for a UR front strut brace and rear chassis brace through Viva (thanks George!) and I am just curious as to if anyone on here has installed all 4 of the UR braces in their R?

I'd like to add some rigidity and am considering purchasing the lower front and lower rear UR braces as well.

To those of you with all 4 braces, was the improvement in rigidity worth the cost?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
First, I installed the front brace. It makes the car feel planted and stiffer. The rear chassis brace was next for me, which added stiffness around corners and makes the rear feel like its more willing to come around. I will be installing the lower braces later this week so I'll let you know about those.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, I installed the front brace. It makes the car feel planted and stiffer. The rear chassis brace was next for me, which added stiffness around corners and makes the rear feel like its more willing to come around. I will be installing the lower braces later this week so I'll let you know about those.
Awesome! Can't wait to hear about the differences the lowers will make. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Did front and rear upper braces first, definite improvement, just felt like it was better planted in the front, in particular. Then, I added the lower front brace. WOW. Took Lucky for a ride, and he confirmed my opinion. He doesn't like the P2 cars, because their steering feels like it doesn't respond quickly, you turn the wheel, pause for a few microseconds, then the car turns. Not with the lower front brace, car turns RIGHT NOW. Very responsive. Considering the rear brace, but I think it is a better design for my non-AWD car, because it is one piece. But if it is as good as the lower front brace, you will love it.

Drawbacks:
1. upper rear brace means you can't put some tall items far forward in the trunk.
2. lower front brace, if you hit one of the steel plates in the road where roadwork is being done, it is going to feel like you hit a 6 inch wall. The front crossmember is prevented from moving backwards even the small amount that it normally does, and you really feel it. Otherwise, not noticeable, except for less ground clearance under it. That lack of movement in the front crossmember is the reason for the improved steering feel, and responsiveness of the car.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
The front brace goes where the strut tower bolts are ya? If you unscrew those bolts to throw the front brace on...does that affect anything with the struts not being aligned?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The struts are in there pretty good when the car is planted on the ground, taking those bolts off won't move them unless you apply some force.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
The struts are in there pretty good when the car is planted on the ground, taking those bolts off won't move them unless you apply some force.
My bolts have a line draw on them that line up with the nut....do I have to align the lines again? Lol

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
My bolts have a line draw on them that line up with the nut....do I have to align the lines again? Lol
Nope, just torque to proper specs and call it good. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have 3 out of 4 installed. For whatever reason, I've left my front lower brace sitting behind the couch for three months now. I put in both rears together and I really liked the way they improved the feel of the rear end. I was unaware that the lower front brace would make things that much harder. There are some tooth-cracking bumps I go over already on my daily commute.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I have the IPD upper front, and the Viva Lower Rear. I have had this car to Watkins Glen 3 times and the instructors can never believe its a volvo. I cant imagine what adding the lower front and upper rears will do...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good news, I got the job :). Just have to shoot a summer line of bathing suits and I'll be submitting the heavy order to you!

Will do a review of the UR braces when it happens!

Congrats.....hope they are the women's line! :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
i have the solid subframe bushings, and i can confirm that they do make turning response almost instant (i have regular CA bushings too, no poly).

would the front lower braces really help if i already have the SSFBs?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have the same question. I imagine the benefit would be negligible, and I am concerned about the loss of ground clearance with the front brace. I am considering the rear brace because my subframe bushings lowered my front end a little and I don't think the brace out back would become the low point.

·
Registered
86 Posts
where do we get a rear brace for the V70R. I swear I had seen one a few years back. any ideas?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts